Complementary wet foods with complete dry food? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Complementary wet foods with complete dry food?

Hi guys,

I'm still a relatively new cat-mammy at this stage and I'm trying my best to get my kitty (4 month old female) the best food that I can on my somewhat tight budget.

The best I seem to be able to manage at the moment is a monthly rotation of the following brands of wet food: Applaws, Almo Nature and Cosma (all 75g-80g cans).
I've noticed that most of these are listed as either "complementary" or "supplementary" so I also bought a bag of Applaws dry kitten food.

My question has to do with how much of each she should be getting each day to keep her happy and healthy? Her taurine intake is of particular concern because it seems to be only present in the dry food.

I've been giving her a bowl of dry in the morning (that usually lasts her until lunch time), a can of wet at dinner time when I get home from work and another bowl of dry before I go to bed. Does this sound okay?

Thanks
Spookymuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 03:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I've never heard of most of those brands. The only one I know of is Almo, and as it isn't made to meet the complete diety needs of a cat, I would rather just save my money and buy some real chicken. I see the food as more of a topper to entice a cat to eat, or a treat on the side. They are also quite expensive considering how small the tins are.

How does your cat feel about food that's been refrigerated? If you buy a 13 oz tin, while more expensive, you save a lot of money in the long run. Chicken Soup, EVO, California Natural, Innova, Felidae... those are a few of the the brands that can come in 13 oz tins and that aren't overly expensive. I've read any type of wet food is better than even the best dry food, so with that in mind, even Friskies comes in 13 oz tins. I'd imagine even if you don't have those brands where you live there would be other 13 oz varieties available.

A "bowl of dry food" sounds like a lot of food, you would need to give correct feeding amounts for us to know if it's a lot of not, along with the calorie content of the food. Lower quality foods require you feed more to meet the same level of nutritional intake.

Kittens can eat a lot and I've read to just feed them as much as they want as long as they maintain their figure. Once she's no longer a kitten, cats need about 20-30 calories per pound, depending on age and activity level. If your cat is 10 pounds, it'll need roughly 250 calories every day. I tried looking up the dry food you mentioned but couldn't find a calories content of the food to do that math, even on the company website. Overseas lists packaging a lot differently, I don't know how you would calculate it if they don't provided that information.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.

Last edited by Carmel; 01-31-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Sorry, I didn't even think that the brands I was using might not be common outside of Europe.

I was going to try and simplify the ingredients of the foods I mentioned but figured it would better for me to just link to them instead of mangling the information
You just need to scroll to the bottom of each page.

-applaws dry kitten food:
Applaws Kitten Food - Great deals on natural cat food at zooplus

-applaws wet food(chicken selection):
Applaws Cat Food: on Sale now at zooplus: Applaws Selection Cat Food 12 x 70 g

-almo nature wet food(any of the chicken varieties):
Almo Nature Adult 6 x 70 g: Great Deals on Almo Nature Cat Food at zooplus

-cosma wet food:
Cosma Original in Jelly 6 x 85 g. Great deals on Cosma Original at zooplus.

Buying fresh meat would be a little cheaper (although not by much with how inflated prices are over here) but not practical. We have a very small fridge freezer that barely has enough room for all of the people food!

As for how much dry food she's getting, it's about 30g split between the morning and evening meal (55g a day being the recommended amount for her age when solely fed on the dry food in question, so I tried to adjust to account for the added wet food).

That is a good point about the larger cans. I don't know why, but I had assumed that they were aimed at multi-cat households and didn't even think about refrigeration! That could save me quite a bit.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I'm somewhat familiar with UK foods, since my daughter lives in the UK. Can you get either Grau or Bozita? I believe both are good quality wet foods and they're not "supplementary" foods. I don't know how expensive they are. Perhaps some of our UK members will have other suggestions regarding quality foods in the UK.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I feed Almo chicken drumstick canned food, but only as an occasional treat. The food is basically just muscle meat and water sufficient for processing - so no bone or organ meat, not a balanced meal. My cats LOVE the food but they don't have any canned foods that are a more complete diet and I don't want to feed the 'complimentary' dry food. Applaw and Cosma seem very similar - muscle meat only with no organs or bones, so not enough calcium and other nutrients for a balanced diet. I also have to wonder why some of their canned cat foods have pumpkin or cheese added? Seems odd / unnecessary for cat food. I stick to mostly Wellness or Merrick canned foods, some raw and Almo as a treat.

On that website, the Animonda and other brands without complimentary foods seem to be a more balanced diet. They probably are meant to be fed as a complete diet so only come in the larger cans. It would probably be better to feed those and refrigerate the leftovers. There are some good threads / links on this site on what to look for in canned foods which can help you out.
Tiliqua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

You might also be able to find Animonda. It is not supplementary and I believe decent quality too. I get the 200g can for 1.20 €
I sometimes give Applaws as a treat too.It's pretty expensive , though, 1.80 € for the 100g can.
Bozita is also good, as Susan said. The 410 g can is 1.50 € here.
As for the taurine you could try chicken hearts or beef hearts which are higher in taurine.
Antigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Too late to edit my post, but I just noticed that the Almo nature foods in the UK all have rice in them. The ones I get here are just meat and water, no grains or filler.
Tiliqua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Okay, a lot of the complete wet foods were a bit too pricey *but* I looked up the animonda food there and it does seem to be good quality for a lot less money: Great Deals on Animonda Canned Cat Food at Zooplus: Animonda Carny Kitten 6 x 200 g

I'll just keep the smaller cans of complementary food aside and use them for a weekly treat.

I just need to pick up some little can covers so I can split the cans between breakfast and dinner. Although she will still have to have a little of the dry food when I'm in work, at least this way her diet will be about 80% wet.

Thanks everyone (Antigone and Tiliqua for the animonda recommendations in particular!)
Old 01-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel View Post
I've never heard of most of those brands. The only one I know of is Almo, and as it isn't made to meet the complete diety needs of a cat, I would rather just save my money and buy some real chicken. I see the food as more of a topper to entice a cat to eat, or a treat on the side. They are also quite expensive considering how small the tins are.

How does your cat feel about food that's been refrigerated? If you buy a 13 oz tin, while more expensive, you save a lot of money in the long run. Chicken Soup, EVO, California Natural, Innova, Felidae... those are a few of the the brands that can come in 13 oz tins and that aren't overly expensive. I've read any type of wet food is better than even the best dry food, so with that in mind, even Friskies comes in 13 oz tins. I'd imagine even if you don't have those brands where you live there would be other 13 oz varieties available.

I've never heard of those brands either. They may be the same as some of the US brands, just marketed under different names. I buy EVO which is 96% turkey and chicken in the 13 oz cans and warm it up in the microwave on reduced power for a few seconds after it's been refrigerated. Just enough to take the chill off, not get hot. You could experiment with the defrost cycle and timing to get it right. If it's too warm just let it sit for a minute or add enough cold food to bring the temp down.
Advertisement