need suggestions and answers to whose cat has uti/bladder infection - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 01:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default need suggestions and answers to whose cat has uti/bladder infection

I don't know what its called really my vet called it bladder infection, she had an xray no stones or crystals or anything but she did show symptons i got some antiobitoics how long did it take to clear up this problem? Is it really uti if there are no crystals or stones? What affordable foods can i give my cat that helps? I have 2 cats so of course it has to be affordable. If i give my cats wet food how often should i feed them wet food, i'm worried about wet food casue of those pet recall years ago and diarrah problems. how do you give them antiobiotics without them spitting it out too. I am very worried and i will be out of town next week so it be hard to leave her alone my mom will take care of her though while i be gone for 2 days.
Risami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 02:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Maisie had a UTI - although that's slightly different from a bladder infection so I'm not sure how helpful this will be.

Yes, it is possible to have a UTI without crystals, or crystals without a UTI; they're actually separate problems. The reason they sometimes occur together is that the crystals may irritate the urethra and make it easier for bacteria to get in and take hold, but that isn't always the case.

Maisie was on a 14 day course of antibiotic, but he felt noticeably better within a day or two of starting it. Even if your cat seems better, you should always give your pet all of the antibiotic as prescribed even if she seems completely well again, or you can cause your pet to build up resistant bacteria in her system.

When you discover your cat is prone to urinary problems, it's important to make sure that he or she gets lots of moisture. Make sure clean water is available and changed at least daily; filtered water is better if possible because it has fewer minerals.

You should also get as much wet food into your pet's diet as you can, and aim for brands with plenty of protein and without much in the way of grain or vegetable ingredients, to help maintain urinary pH. My favourite brands are Before Grain, Wellness CORE, and EVO.

In terms of cost, the best value for me has been the large cans of EVO. (The 13.2 oz ones.) The product to package ratio is really good, and since each can lasts a couple of days the cost per serving is not that high.

It's also important to keep the litter box scooped at least daily, because you don't want your cat to hold in her urine, and a clean box encourages urination when she feels the urge.

For giving the antibiotics, I used Pill Pockets. They aren't expensive and they save so much hassle! Basically it's a soft treat with a hole in it that you stick the pill in.

I know cat urinary problems are super stressful. I've been there. Your kitty will be okay, though. It's treatable and manageable.

I hope your cat feels better soon!

The Boys: Maisie (age 9, adopted 2007,) Zephyr (age 8, adopted 2006,)
Bentley
(age 3, adopted 2013,) and foster kitty Cullen

Last edited by Blakeney Green; 02-02-2013 at 02:07 AM.
Blakeney Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

well sadly i have to buy more med hopefully it will last for awhile cause she made me spilled some when i tried to give it to her. when you say ezo where can i buy that stuff i don't live anywehre near petsmart, do you think they have it at pet depot or tractor supply or do you think vets have it? what about dry food?
Old 02-02-2013, 02:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risami View Post
well sadly i have to buy more med hopefully it will last for awhile cause she made me spilled some when i tried to give it to her. when you say ezo where can i buy that stuff i don't live anywehre near petsmart, do you think they have it at pet depot or tractor supply or do you think vets have it? what about dry food?
I buy the EVO at a store that's just local, so I can't give specific store recommendations unless you happen to do your shopping in Rochester NY.

The "Where to Buy" link on their website should help, though:

www.evopet.com

(Direct link to that section: http://wtb.evopet.com/?new=true)

The medicine is a liquid? Maisie had pills - sorry, I shouldn't have assumed it was the same.

I think the best way to give liquid medicine is with a syringe that has no needle. (If you don't have any, the vet can give you a few. Since you're using it for oral medication rather than injecting, they can be washed carefully and reused.) Draw the liquid into the syringe, open your cat's mouth gently, and insert the syringe as far as you can without choking her, then push the plunger and she will have to swallow. It's much easier and safer than trying to pour something in her mouth.

Bentley

Last edited by Blakeney Green; 02-02-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

i have a syringe just really super hard to give it to her as she jerks her head alot, and you didn't told me what type of food dry or just wet or both? I don't want to give her to much wet food caused bad case of diarrah last time but if i can give it to her on weekends or certian type of days. I may go for the blue big bag i usually get 3lb bag and that last for 1 week and 3 days so if the big bag is enough its like cheap i suppose. no evo near by sadly.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Generally dry food is not a good idea for pets with urinary issues. If you need to feed some of it to stretch your budget, just try to make sure you use mostly wet food, and try a food with high protein and low carbs like Nature's Variety Instinct or Innova. Those foods are more pricey, though, so you would probably be better off with just the wet.

Any time you switch foods you can cause tummy upset, so it's best to transition gradually rather than switch abruptly. Also, sometimes certain foods just don't work for certain pets, so if she's having diarrhea you may just need to avoid that flavour or brand and try another kind.

Bentley

Last edited by Blakeney Green; 02-02-2013 at 02:31 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

well what about purina one i got purina one for uti i bought it already earlier if i mix it with wet food will it do good? or doe sit have to be nature's variety instink or innova? how many times should i give her can catfood?
Old 02-02-2013, 02:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risami View Post
well what about purina one i got purina one for uti i bought it already earlier if i mix it with wet food will it do good? or doe sit have to be nature's variety instink or innova? how many times should i give her can catfood?
It doesn't have to be those particular brands, those are just examples.

I'm not familiar with what's in Purina One UTI and I can't find an ingredients list, so I can't give a specific answer on that - hopefully someone else can. Is that what your vet suggested? If so, I'd go with it till the crisis has passed. Purina foods aren't the best nutrition, but right now the more important thing is getting the urinary problems under control.

Your cat should be getting as much wet food as possible. Since she's not used to it, though, you'll need to introduce it gradually. (To avoid issues like the diarrhea.) Try just a spoonful with her regular meal, and see how she takes it. If it works well, you can start adding more each time you feed her.

I need to go to bed. But good luck!

Bentley
Old 02-02-2013, 02:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

well if its wet can food doe it matter the brand? I am thinking of getting friskies special diet the wet one and mix it with her purina one so she can have some moist i really hope it works :\ i may have to buy more meds for her so got to have some money for that! she only has 3 days worth of meds was 1 week if it hasnt' been spilled i may see if my vet has pill form i had to see another one as he was not in today.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeney Green View Post

The medicine is a liquid? Maisie had pills - sorry, I shouldn't have assumed it was the same.

I think the best way to give liquid medicine is with a syringe that has no needle. (If you don't have any, the vet can give you a few. Since you're using it for oral medication rather than injecting, they can be washed carefully and reused.) Draw the liquid into the syringe, open your cat's mouth gently, and insert the syringe as far as you can without choking her, then push the plunger and she will have to swallow. It's much easier and safer than trying to pour something in her mouth.
When Missy's UTI flares up the vet gives her an injection of antibiotics and gives me the refill syringe for the second dose in 2 weeks. I have a supply of pain killer in the event it flares up and it is a weekend. That way I can get her to the vet Monday AM without too much misery on her part and skip the trip to the emergency vet (which once took over 5 HOURS in a waiting room). Missy has been doing this for 2 or 3 UTI episodes now in the past 4 years. I can tell the symptoms almost immediately anymore: piddling all over the house, blood mixed with urine. Frequent tries in the litter box, all around misery on her part. She's not had crystals or stones, either. As soon as it starts she gets the painkiller (oral) and I call the vet if it's a week day.
Advertisement