grain-free or not? - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cat

Mine are not grain-free yet; however, I do stay away from all corn. Right now they get a full can of wet per day plus 1/4 cup of dry per day. The dry is salmon and brown rice. I brought home samples from the pet food store. Same brand, but one is grain free and one isn't. So far they like the lamb and brown rice, and I haven't opened the grainfree sample yet, so we'll see how that goes.
Merlin_Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 12:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Have you tried Felidae pureELEMENTS (http://www.canidae.com/cats/grain-fr.../canned.html)? I bought a 12 pack of 13oz cans from Chewy.com for $23.99 before any discounts.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by anie View Post
Also forgot to add that I ordered Lotus so we will see
And my cats absolutely loathe honest kitchen both grace and prowl. Would rather starve that eat it. Besides I believe honest kitchen is quite carby, especially prowl so I would rather avoid that.
Funny enough, my housemate is trying out Prowl right now and I think her cat dislikes it. Our kittens however keep running up to steal the food though. It kind of seems that they really will eat anything (but I'm not about to test that theory).

They do love their Lotus though (in comparison to Wellness, even though they do enjoy tha one as well) and pretty much try to devour it before I can get the plate or food bowl down.
violina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
Cat

I read somewhere that the grain content ideally shouldn't be higher than 3%, so I try to stick to that. Not all of the food my girl eats is grain-free, but the stuff that contains rice or other carbs only has a relatively small percentage of carbs. If you want to feed more than one or two brands, it's difficult to only feed grain-free, especially taking into consideration that your cat may not like all of the food you're trying to feed.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal1 View Post
As for cost, EVO 95 (grain free, no fruits or veggies in it either) is relatively inexpensive for a premium brand. I buy at local premium pet shops and pay less than 2.00 for a 13.2 oz can when I buy in quantities of 12. That's less than $1 for an equivalent 6 oz can, or less than $ 0.50 for 3 oz.
EVO rocks! My cats love it and you get free shipping from Wag.com or Chewy.com for orders of $49 or more (in US). Stock up on a few cases of EVO and the cost is minimal for great quality cat food.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #16 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Anybody use Natural Balance? I use their dry and wet food in rotation.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal1 View Post
As for cost, EVO 95 (grain free, no fruits or veggies in it either) is relatively inexpensive for a premium brand. I buy at local premium pet shops and pay less than 2.00 for a 13.2 oz can when I buy in quantities of 12. That's less than $1 for an equivalent 6 oz can, or less than $ 0.50 for 3 oz.
Yeah, I agree that EVO is a fantastic value. If you get the big cans, the cost per ounce is about the same as or even less than grocery store brands, for much better ingredients.

I know some cats don't like it, but for those that do, it can be a good comparatively inexpensive option.

The Boys: Maisie (age 9, adopted 2007,) Zephyr (age 7, adopted 2006,)
and Bentley (age 3, adopted 2013)
Blakeney Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeney Green View Post
Yeah, I agree that EVO is a fantastic value. If you get the big cans, the cost per ounce is about the same as or even less than grocery store brands, for much better ingredients.
As much as I agree EVO is great and one of the best while being a lot lower in price compared to other high end foods, cheaper food - at least where I live - is always going to work out to be cheaper. Friskies 13 oz tin is just about always on sale aroud 1.10 or less (fullprice less than 1.20), EVO 13 oz is never on sale and the cheapest I can find it now is 1.99. Most places it is 2.19 or more, but I lucked out and found one store that sells it cheaper.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel View Post
As much as I agree EVO is great and one of the best while being a lot lower in price compared to other high end foods, cheaper food - at least where I live - is always going to work out to be cheaper. Friskies 13 oz tin is just about always on sale aroud 1.10 or less (fullprice less than 1.20), EVO 13 oz is never on sale and the cheapest I can find it now is 1.99. Most places it is 2.19 or more, but I lucked out and found one store that sells it cheaper.
Yeah, I should have clarified that it's totally location-dependent.

When I lived in Canada it was the way you were describing.

The Boys: Maisie (age 9, adopted 2007,) Zephyr (age 7, adopted 2006,)
and Bentley (age 3, adopted 2013)
Blakeney Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Moderator

In the US, EVO has a frequent buyer program if you buy it by the case. Buy 10, Get 1 Free. The store has a card that they keep track of your purchases and they keep the UPC from the case. When you've purchased 10, you mail the card to Natura and they send a coupon for the free case. Only available through independent retailers, not something you can get with online retailers.

So that's a way to take the price down another 10%.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement