grain-free or not? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default grain-free or not?

do you feed your cats grain-free or give foods that contain grains?

my cats are on 100% wet diet and I try to feed them exclusively grain-free, but they do not like many of higher quality grain-free foods. and some of them are so expensive that I just find it crazy to pay that much for little can.

so it narrows my options for food for them. in addition they also get bored with flavors so i need to have quite a few in rotation.

is it then that bad to give them not-grain-free wet? i am not giving them anything that contains wheat gluten, but there are many canned food options with rice or oatmeal that I could try.
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I used to just avoid wheat/corn/soy (Maisie is allergic to wheat anyway) but had some cans in the rotation that included brown rice/oatmeal/barley/potatoes. Zephyr had no trouble with that, but Maisie got a UTI. The vet thinks the main cause of the urinary issue was genetic predisposition, but even so, I think I need to start being extra careful, so I've tried to cut down on starches and carbs of all kinds.

At the moment my cats are eating Before Grain, Wellness CORE, and EVO in rotation.

It's hard to predict what will work for a cat or not, but I certainly don't think what you have in mind is a "bad" diet. I think it would work fine for most cats.

The Boys: Maisie (age 9, adopted 2007,) Zephyr (age 8, adopted 2006,)
Bentley
(age 3, adopted 2013,) and foster kitty Cullen
Blakeney Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

We keep them on a grain free diet and so far they love Lotus and Wellness (canned wet foods). My housemate switched her cat to Prowl Dehydrated Raw Cat Food and while I think her cat dislikes it, our kittens seem to love it (since I keep catching them eat it). This is in addition to their dry food which is also grain free: Halo Spot's Stew.

I think so long as you switch them slowly to food that isn't grain free, you should be fine.
violina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Cat

As for cost, EVO 95 (grain free, no fruits or veggies in it either) is relatively inexpensive for a premium brand. I buy at local premium pet shops and pay less than 2.00 for a 13.2 oz can when I buy in quantities of 12. That's less than $1 for an equivalent 6 oz can, or less than $ 0.50 for 3 oz.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Holly is on a grain-free diet. I'm rotating though wet Wellness, EVO, etc. I also leave out a small amount of Wellness Core dry kitten food overnight. She seems healthy so I plan to keep it up.
Pursestan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by anie View Post
...s it then that bad to give them not-grain-free wet? i am not giving them anything that contains wheat gluten, but there are many canned food options with rice or oatmeal that I could try.
It has been quoted that the worst wet canned food is still better than the best dry. - I'm not going to argue this point, I'm just stating what I've read.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Yeah they actually eat EVO, but they only like one flavor so far and will not eat only one flavor everyday for every meal. They need to have several different flavors. I have few grain free wellness flavors for them but they are not that crazy about them. They will not touch wellness core and before grain. They hate Halo, all of the flavors. I think veggies bother them. They eat some of BFF but BFF canned is loaded with fish so I am not so fond about feeding them fish every day. So as you see I am limited in those brands that are good value for the price. So I was just thinking to try few non grain free. (I already know my cats hate all the Merricks but one, fishy).

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 02-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Also forgot to add that I ordered Lotus so we will see
And my cats absolutely loathe honest kitchen both grace and prowl. Would rather starve that eat it. Besides I believe honest kitchen is quite carby, especially prowl so I would rather avoid that.

In the future I am planning to introduce raw, but now my goal is to feed them gold quality wet (I adopted my cats little over two months ago and they used to be fed dry and wet junk kitty food. I am still in the process of transitioning them to better food and just looking around for available options)

Old 02-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Sorry few typos I am typing on my phone.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I occasionally slip in a food with grains...hasn't killed them yet. There are some that the grains appear pretty far down the ingredient list. If you're sticking with high quality foods (Holistic Select, Innova, Chicken Soup, Blue Spa etc.) then you should be fine. It's not the best thing, but getting high quality canned with grains in them is way better than kibble.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement