Loose Stool...still - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Loose Stool...still

It's been a while since I've been on here and when I was here last Cherry was having issues.

When we first got her(two years ago), she had diarrhea. She would poop every where and I don't even think she realized she was doing it. We took a sample to the vet and they said she had coccidia. She got medicine for that and her poop was a bit firmer and she wasn't pooping everywhere anymore.

Thing is, her poop still isn't solid like a cat's should be. Before she got her medicine, there were little rice like things in it, but that's long gone. She's very gassy at times too. Every time you pick her up, she farts. Almost every time you pet her, she farts. And one of these days her farts are going to kill me.

We've brought another sample to the vet, but they only said she had no more parasites. I've brought it up multiple times, but all they've told me is that some cats are like that. They never ruled out allergies or anything. I feel like they won't listen to me because I'm only a teenager, but I know this is not normal for a cat.

Sometimes I can also hear her stomach gurgling and making weird noises.

I would really like to know what to ask the vet about. I want to get this resolved, she is so smelly. And I can't imagine how uncomfortable it must be. I myself have a newly diagnosed bowel disorder, so I can't imagine how she must feel if she has one.

She goes to the vet on the 12th. I won't be going with her, but I want to send my dad with a list of things to ask the vet about. Any ideas on what could be causing this?
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I was just in Petco and saw a product for diarrhea in cats. Came in a tube but the Petco website only shows it with 3 stars. This I did not see, but it has 5 stars. You may have it in your area. I've also heard pumpkin will help if you can get her to eat it. Do a thread search here for pumpkin and see what others say.
Lambert Kay Pet Pectillin Diarrhea Medication for Dogs, Cats, & Birds at PETCO
Old 02-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I'll have my dad ask the vet about something like that.

I doubt I can get her to eat pumpkin. She's weird when it comes to food that isn't her cat food. She won't even eat meat.

Last edited by marie73; 02-04-2013 at 12:06 AM.
oceanmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Do you have a vet who specializes in cats in your area? It sounds like your vet's done all the right things, and maybe there really isn't any other explanation, but I think I'd probably want to try another vet. I know some people don't think it matters, and certainly, having a vet you trust is more important than anything. But I find that my cats-only vets here are really good about listening and always take me very seriously. I'll sometimes say that maybe I'm imagining something, but they stop me immediately and tell me that if I'm worried, there's something going on, because pet owners always know when their pets just aren't right.

You might look at justanswer.com. You have to pay $18 or $20 to have a question answered by a vet, but they post prior questions for free.

I just found this. The person seems to have been in a similar situation as you are in: What causes chronic diarrhea My cat has had many tests, xrays, - JustAnswer
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Loose Stools

Hi OceanMist!

I just got done writing you a long message about this but it didn't go through, so here is the condensed version.

1) It doesn't matter how old you are, some vets are just like that. It happened to me recently and I am 33 yrs old and older than the vet. I didn't like the staff talking about me and my kitty behind closed doors or that they dismissed my concerns, barely answered my questions and never returned my phone calls. So I researched and found a vet that is great! Took time with me, explained things, interacted with my kitty and not just me. I am so happy I changed vets! Your money spends anywhere, if you don't like your vet, if you think they are dismissing you and your concerns or that they don't respect you because of your age, fire them and find someone else!

2) 100% Pumpkin Puree (not pie filling which can make them sick) is very good for cats and dogs with tummy issues, whether it is constipation or diarrhea. Message me for tips on getting a picky eater to eat it.

3) Make sure your kitty is staying hydrated, message me on how you can replace lost nutrients, minerals, vitamins and essential electrolytes.

4) Watch your kitties bum, if it looks like something other than poo is coming out that is an Emergent trip to the vet or Emergency vet hospital. Message me if you are interested in how to take care of red, swollen or raw bums from the loose stools.

I understand exactly how you feel and I have been in your situation with the constant loose stools. I have some things I have done in the past to help and i am more than happy to tell them to you if you are interested. Please note, I am not a Veterinarian or Vet Tech, but I do have a medical degree and many things are similar. Plus, I have past experience working with a variety of animals and am happy to help with suggestions, reassurance or whatever you may need. Just let me know. Remember, nobody knows your cat like you, if you know something is wrong but the people you are going to aren't listening, find someone who will. Trust me, there are people who will listen. Keep us updated on how little Cherry is doing.
KozyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Loose Stool...still

Pumpkin works sometimes. It's never worked for my crew tho. I dealt with chronic diarrhea last summer where a few of my kitties just couldn't make it to the box in time and there was poop all over my house! They were so miserable and sick and the vet ran all the tests and we just weren't able to find any solid answers. It eventually passed (kind of) but since then their stools are quite soft too.

I found that Intelliflora was the only thing that worked for them. After weeks & weeks of drugs, vet visits, etc. that's what got them over that hump and on their way back to better health. It's a probiotic but it's got a lot more good stuff in it than the regular brands of probiotics. Within 2 days their runs were gone and we were looking at more solid stools and no more accidents.

I also steam cleaned the litter boxes once each week, as well as all the floors and anywhere else they'd been. I cleaned their boxes twice a day in case it was something that they were continuously giving themselves.

I'd definitely try the Intelliflora tho. It's a beef flavored powder that you sprinkle over their food. Even my two picky eaters were all over it!

Good luck. I know how frustrating it can be to not be able to help your babies.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

mumof7kitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Loose Stools

Probiotics are great! For humans and animals. Just make sure you get probiotics for animals, or if they even break it down, for cats. I haven't heard of the one you mentioned, but I will definitely put that in my journal to check out and into my animal medicine cabinet. I too cleaned my litter boxes religiously, even to the point of when I saw them going, I was in there with the scooper right after. As well as getting a carpet shampooer and the steam mop and cleaning the floors, chairs, couches and my bed. I am really bummed my first message didn't go through cause I too mentioned all of that. But then again, those of us with babies who have had that problem have all gone through the same steps. It's too bad pumpkin didn't work for your crew. Always had really good success with it, except for when the babies had a bug/bacteria/fungi in their bodies, then it's best to let the body get rid of the yucky and then start the healing process. Last thing you want to do is to STOP diarrhea when there is a gut disorder, best to let it just flush out. As you can tell, different things worked for different kitties, depending on what's going on with them, best thing is to try and see what works for your Cherry.
KozyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Thank you all for the suggestions!

I think we might be going to a different vet this time(the one that actually speaks English), so hopefully she can find something. I'll also have him ask about the pumpkin.

Other than the diarrhea, Cherry seems in pretty good health. Her only other issue is crust on her nose, but the vet said it was probably an URI and normal for shelter cats. That was also 2 years ago, so I'm going to have my dad ask about that again.

I also think she is drinking enough. Though she is always seeking out cups of water left on the counter(and sometimes even coffee ). I'm not sure if she just prefers that as opposed to sharing a water bowl with the dog. She used to have her own water bowl, but she would run and crash into it and spill water. Then that water would leak through the floor and into my mom's room.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Ya, try probiotic, but not necessarily the one meant for animals, human ones ok too. I use GNC Mega acidophillus, 1/2 capsule. You can also use psyllium husk to firm up the stool, 1/8 tsp soak in 2 tbs of water 1st before adding into wet food. Both are literally tasteless and odorless, shouldn't have problem with kitties not eating.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy View Post
Ya, try probiotic, but not necessarily the one meant for animals, human ones ok too. I use GNC Mega acidophillus, 1/2 capsule. You can also use psyllium husk to firm up the stool, 1/8 tsp soak in 2 tbs of water 1st before adding into wet food. Both are literally tasteless and odorless, shouldn't have problem with kitties not eating.
Thing is, Cherry isn't big on eating wet food. At least not the kind the shelter gave their cats.

I also don't want to try anything without asking the vet. And even then, if they recommend one of those, she probably won't get it until I return from my trip. I don't really trust my dad with caring for her.
Advertisement