Cat Baths - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Cat Baths

So far, I've had my (long-haired) kitten for about a month, and I've bathed her twice so far. She doesn't seem too traumatized by bath time, and afterwards looks much cleaner and less oily.

I was just wondering if you all bathe your cats, and if so, how frequent is too frequent?

Thanks!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Unless they're a breed that requires bathing or they've gotten into something, there is no need for baths. My twins are 5 years old, and they've never had a bath, except by each other. And they have long hair.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I've never needed to bathe my cats. If they need my help cleaning up, I use a damp washcloth with warm water, or an unscented baby wipe. I never soak them in a tub.

The Boys: Maisie (age 9, adopted 2007,) Zephyr (age 7, adopted 2006,)
and Bentley (age 3, adopted 2013)
Blakeney Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Bathing your kitten

As posted earlier, you shouldn't have to bathe your kitten. Kitties are immaculate and very dedicated to keeping their coats clean, shinny and in place. If your kitten got into something that could potentially harm her then you would need to bathe her. If you are noticing that your kitten's coat has a very oily look to it and starts "clumping" together (like our hair if we haven't washed it in a few days- gets stringy, greasy and not nice looking) and you don't notice her grooming herself, there may be something going on with your kitty. One of my kittens have medium length hair and it always looked nasty and greasy, but this was because he was a VERY sick kitten. I fostered him and his sister who were listed as "failure to thrive" and then eventually ended up adopting them, knowing that their special needs status would make them undesirable. Poor thing was so sick he didn't have the energy to groom himself. His sister did most of his grooming, but she too was sick and her coat had it's own issues. I gave him baths occasionally and then other times I would use the waterless shampoo on him and then comb him, which he liked better. I eventually shaved him because he just couldn't keep up with his coat.

If your kitty doesn't appear to be ill, and like the previous person said they aren't the time of breed that needs baths, then you may want to consider the diet. Is your kitten getting all the proper nutrition that she needs? If you see her always scratching at her ear or chewing on her feet, it could be an allergy to the food. Flip your cat food bag over, what are the first 5 ingredients? If it's not mostly protein, chances are that she could be allergic to the grains or the food has a bunch of filler. If you want to experiment, you can switch her food for 1 month to another brand (preferably one that is no grain and with only one protein source) and see if her coat starts to look better. There are some brands that if you request it, they will send you samples to see if your cat likes it. I personally use Blue Basics or Blue Wilderness because one of my kitties is food sensitive and the other was so malnourished in the first few months of her life and they BOTH have immune system issues, they need that higher protein, plus they are really great about standing behind their products and sending out samples. If you buy a bag and it's not helping your kitty/or kitty is getting worse, they take it back and reimburse you- no matter how much of the bag is gone (granted, if there are only a few kibble pieces they may lift a brow).

If none of these seem right, you can always talk with your vet about it at your next appointment. Just make sure that she is EDPP (eating, drinking, peeing, pooping-these are the big 4 that they always want to know) and if your kitty is vomiting or loosing weight depsite eating good, you need to get into the vet right away.

Good luck with your kitty! Let us know what you find out.
KozyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I've never bathed my cats.

Orion managed to bathe himself while getting too curious about my bath... relaxing in the tub with a good book and a glass of wine was very rudely interrupted when he joined in!
Tiliqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Cat Baths

I agree with everyone else. Kitties are fastidious about cleanliness. They will bathe themselves and each other constantly (thus hair ball issues.) If a coat is looking dull and lifeless check the food situation and be sure you always have lots of fresh water available.

The only times I bathe kitties is if they've got diarrhea so bad that they are unable to keep up with it or my little bottle babies who seem to have a knack for knowing when someone else poops and they all have to scoot or roll thru it. I keep a good organic baby shampoo around for those times. Beyond that they shouldn't need to be bathed.

mumof7kitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Interrupted Bathtime

Tiliqua-

I have had this too. Once a kitty joined me in the tub on accident, got a lot of claw marks from that one, and another time in the shower- scared us both and she jumped out quickly, fortunately it was the other end of the shower from where I was, managed to miss those claw marks that time! Then I was kittysitting for a friend who was deployed and his kitty used to jump up on the metal rod of the shower door and stare down and watch me shower....that one was creepy! LOL!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I wish Zephyr was fastidious. But no, he refuses to clean his bottom.

He's physically able to, he just chooses not to. He was taken away from his mother too early, and while I was able to teach him most of the feline social niceties, that one just never quite worked out. It tastes gross to him, so he sees no point.

The Boys: Maisie (age 9, adopted 2007,) Zephyr (age 7, adopted 2006,)
and Bentley (age 3, adopted 2013)
Blakeney Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Refusal of cleaning

Hehehe, yeah, I understand that! I fostered orphaned kittens and most of them, their mother was gone when they were young (for whatever reason). When I got them I still had to do the stimulating on them so they would go. Never bothered me, better them than adult humans (My work has had me do that too!) Anyway, my two failure to thrive babies, as mentioned, one of them was too sick to groom himself, so his sister did it for him, that included his bottom. When he started to feel better, he would try to do it on his own, but he had to save all of his energy for simple things like walking to the food bowl to eat. Poor baby...I got really mad at my vet and the staff when I mentioned it to them and they said he was just being lazy. One look at him and anyone could see how sick he was...but I changed vets and she was really great with me and him about all kinds of things, including his grooming habits. Now that he has passed away, his sister still tries to groom everything, many times it's me when she curls up in my arms at night for bed! Nothing like waking up to a scratchy kitten tongue trying to groom your arm at 2am! LOL!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Cat Baths

@Blakeney... My little mentally handicapable kitten used to never clean his tushy. The others would do it for him. After reading a suggestion that I'd found somewhere online I started mist spraying his tushy with water whenever he had a dirty bottom. Because he doesn't like to be wet he'd start grooming himself. After only a few times of that he learned to groom his hiney.

All of my kitties were bottle raised from birth by me and they all know how to groom themselves. I believe it's ingrained into their makeup.

mumof7kitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement