Help Me Find a Food? - Page 3 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 01:12 AM   #21 (permalink)
Cat

Then it must've been the one that didn't have fish. I remember being very careful about it...

My mom is refusing to buy cat food now because the cats eat the dog food, which is Fromm Gold. I'm on my own for cat food unless I can get my sister in on it, and possibly her boyfriend's step mom. And my mom refuses to buy anything more expensive than Meow Mix.

So does doggie do the 20% each time you order, or is it the scheduled order thing and still every time? I'm wondering if I could get a discount from the feed store from buying in bulk? I'll have to call them up and ask them sometime, since their prices are already quite a bit cheaper.

On a different, what are the absolute best DRY foods that are grain-free and don't have sweet potato or fish(as a main protein source)?
dahowlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #22 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahowlers View Post
My mom is refusing to buy cat food now because the cats eat the dog food, which is Fromm Gold. I'm on my own for cat food unless I can get my sister in on it, and possibly her boyfriend's step mom. And my mom refuses to buy anything more expensive than Meow Mix.

On a different, what are the absolute best DRY foods that are grain-free and don't have sweet potato or fish(as a main protein source)?
This is serious! Cats aren't dogs, they need lysine in their diet, or can go blind and face serious nutritional deficiency. Dog food does not contain lysine and cats cannot make this amino acid on their own. Get the cats away from the dog food and educate your mother!

Also, Fromm isn't cheap, why would she be willing to buy it for a dog and only Meow Mix for the kitties?

As far as single protein foods, I have not looked too extensively into it. I know Natural Balance makes LID foods.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel View Post
This is serious! Cats aren't dogs, they need lysine in their diet, or can go blind and face serious nutritional deficiency. Dog food does not contain lysine and cats cannot make this amino acid on their own. Get the cats away from the dog food and educate your mother!
I think you mean taurine, not lysine.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahowlers View Post

So does doggie do the 20% each time you order, or is it the scheduled order thing and still every time? I'm wondering if I could get a discount from the feed store from buying in bulk? I'll have to call them up and ask them sometime, since their prices are already quite a bit cheaper.
nope, they just give you discount with every order if you order above certain amount of money. you do not have to set up any re-ordering.
as far as i am concerned they always have coupon codes for discounts when you order above $100, $150 or $200. different codes for different discounts depending on how much you spent. last time i got 20% off and free shipping for ordering for $100. when you register with them they will send you coupons almost every day via email. only thing you need to remember is that their shipping is slowish. it took 5 or 6 days for my order to come. so you need to order early enough.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Oh, yeah. That sounds more like it. I'm in bed sick, so I'm not really thinking straight. Haha.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #26 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel View Post
Oh, yeah. That sounds more like it. I'm in bed sick, so I'm not really thinking straight. Haha.
oh no, get better!!
Old 02-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #27 (permalink)
Cat

For a while, everybody was on Taste of the Wild, three cats and the first dog, but it didn't agree with anybody. Very smelly and loose stool, so once they finished she switched the dog to Fromm, which is cheaper than TOTW, and started buying cheaper food for the cats. Then I started buying the cat food and we got another dog, then Freya got extremely sick and I'm struggling to afford the cat food.

I think the main reason she's willing to pay for the dog food is that she paid for the dogs, but I really have no clue. She has these weird mood swings when it has anything to do with the cats, but I'll definitely tell her about the tuarine :/ I can't remember what lysine does, but my vet suggested me giving it to Freya for her medical issues as an extra boost.

It doesn't really have to be single protein, Telmo should be fine on duck, turkey, beef, and venison. He was on California Natural, limited ingredients which he liked but was a little pricey over here.

Thanks for teh quick replies guys, you've all been really helpful
Old 02-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #28 (permalink)
Tom Cat

supplementing with lysine is very beneficial for cats with herpes virus that causes cat colds, eyes infections, runny noses, etc.
it boosts immune system and helps fight those herpes colds. I dont know the mechanism though.
many people give it to their cats, including me.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #29 (permalink)
Cat

Thanks anie! Coupons too?! doggiefood is really starting to sound like a dream haha
I'm positive my sister will go halfsies with me once we settle on a food. I noticed that doggiefood.com has foods for about $5 more than the feed store does, but with that 20% off for a certain amount, that's like a whole free bag!
Old 02-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #30 (permalink)
Cat

When a cat is being managed for feline herpes, is it still contagious? We're not sure what Freya has, but she was on azithromycin, and my vet wants to do a trial run to see if her symptoms return, and if they do we'll continue to medicate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement