Help Me Find a Food? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Help Me Find a Food?

I'm looking for a different food to feed the cats, but I'm having a hard time with it.

It must be dry, and sweet potato and ANY form of fish/seafood free, and I would prefer under $30 for a 15 lb bag. Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

They're on PureVita right now
dahowlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I wasn't sure if you were looking for wet or dry, so I did a quick search for dry foods. It looks as though Halo, Blue Buffalo, Natural Balance, and Innova are all a bit higher than what you're looking for (even though they would fit the bill.

The closest to your range was Core which was 12 lbs. for $37.79 on Petco.

Perhaps you can try a sample of The Honest Kitchen's Prowl or Grace? It looks like you can order a 1 oz Mini Sample straight through their website.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The price point you're asking for puts you in the mid-quality food range. Natural Balance LID Chicken would probably be close, I consider it low end high quality because the first ingredient is peas...but once the water is extracted from them the 2nd ingredient chicken meal will provide the most protein, so a little better than a mid-quality food. But still a lot of the protein coming from veggie sources and a really high carb content. But if you're that restricted on ingredients and price, it's probably the best you can get.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

Alright, thanks guys.

My sister put her cat(the one with the allergies) on Innova, grain-free chicken, which has herring oil in it and he did NOT react, so we're reevaluating his allergies. She fed him a noodle and he tore his face open, so we're thinking that the Merrick she was feeding him when we were testing allergies the first time (fish but no sweet potato) had wheat in it.

We had him on Wellness CORE as the food we knew he didn't react to and thought we narrowed down his allergies to sweet potato and fish, but apparently not.

I put my cats on Earthborn Holistic, fish and she put Telmo on the not fish based one. We're looking for an affordable food that won't make Telmo react for when we move in together this summer.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I don't believe that Merrick has ever contained wheat.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

i can't speak for every flavor, but grammy's pot pie has potatoes and potato starch. the southern one has rice, so it isn't grain-free but i don't see any wheat.

if you go to doggiefood.com, you can look at any brand (they have a lot) and the ingredients are listed for every single one. plus the price is right there too. i wouldn't buy in bulk if you don't know what your cat likes because they don't accept returns of partial cases.

but at least you could see what's in the food.
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

We're just gonna not feed him noodles anymore and try foods that have fish oils down the line (at least fourth ingredient from the top) and avoid foods that have fish as the main source of protein.

Doodlebug, I wasn't sure if it had or not, and I was making a rushed post before work, but I see now that it didn't.

Before my sister got him, he was originally on Sprout as a barn cat. He physically looked sickly, probably a combination of the sheer number of cats and the poor food, but he had no skin allergies to the Sprout. If I remember correctly, he did have some respiratory issues that cleared up on their own.

He will literally eat everything BUT Wellness CORE. He eats just enough to survive and he begs really hardcore, and will find some way to get in the garbage. So we're trying to balance between a relatively decent, affordable food, that he'll eat willing so he doesn't jump on top of the fridge and eat entire loaves of bread with some plastic or whatever else he finds because he acts like he's going to die of starvation on CORE.

The Earthborn Holistic Grain-Free series is about ten dollars cheaper than both Innova and California Natural, at $28 for a 14 pound bag, instead of $38. And the guy and the feed warehouse had coupons that he used for us c:
It seems good, but we'll keep bouncing around until we find one we like a lot.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

I looked at the doggiefood.com thing and the food I have them on now cost $35 on there! That's only $7 more, but dang!
Old 02-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Help Me Find a Food?

Have you looked at Before Grain Chicken dry cat food? Or is that the Merrick you were feeding before? The only one I know of that is completely fish free minus the salmon oil it has in it for skin and coat. Its like 23 dollars or so for a 11 pound bag... Here's the ingredient list:
Chicken Deboned, Chicken Meal, Potato Dehydrated, Turkey Meal, Chicken Fat(preserved with mixed tocopherols a source of Vitamin E), Sweet Potato Dehydrated, Yeast Culture, Natural Flavor, Blueberry Dried, Organic Alfalfa, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Salmon Oil, Choline Chloride, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Chicory Root, Marigold Extract, Rosemary Extract, Dried Lactobacillus Plantarum fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

dahowlers, you might want to read this excellent article on cat nutrition.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement