Any tricks for getting her to eat dry - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 03:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Any tricks for getting her to eat dry

I know a lot of people here advocate a wet-only diet, but I just can't afford that right now. I feed my kitties 50-50 wet and dry diet. My new kitty was brought home from the shelter on January 27th. While she was there she had a diet of almost all dry and only a spoonful of wet once a week (both wet and dry were lower quality brands). When I told her foster mother that I feed my cats wet every day, she said that my Emmy would be VERY happy about that. Turns out, she is a little TOO happy about that because now that is all she wants. Like I said, I cannot afford to go all wet, so I must give them some dry in their diet as well. Do you know any tricks to help me get her to start eating her dry food once again?
Merlin_Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Yes, I sympathize! Most of my cats are now wet and forget.....forget the dry, I mean. If you order two cases of this EVO canned cat food you will get free shipping, or you could elect the discount for first time buyer and save 15%. This is great quality food at about $.16 per ounce (when you order the large cans) and two cases would last a long, long time!, plus the large cans means she can eat all she wants.
EVO 95% Turkey & Chicken Canned Cat Food - Free Shipping

The problem with inexpensive dry is the health consequences that can be very costly, so the money you think you might be saving will only end up going to vet visits in the end. I was very ignorant about the money I thought I was saving by going for the cheap dry, and now that I know different, in hindsight, I think alot of the problems I've had in the past could have been eliminated had I just known what I know now. I don't mean to sound preachy, I've been in your shoes, but good health for the new little girl will be cheaper in the long run if you start her off on good quality canned - and maybe she just tolerated the dry at foster mom's house because she had no choice.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

Default Any tricks for getting her to eat dry

My Lenny is on a mix 45g of dry and a pouch of wet a day split into 3 feeds and unless he has had an extra active day he pretty much always leaves half his dry! Even licks the meet and moisture of the kibbles!! We have swapped to a food with jelly and mix it really well so the kibbles are covered and must be extra tasty so he is starting to eat more dry! Not sure what your foods like over there but we have found meat in jelly is the way forward!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
dannijaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I feel your pain, my new kitten Stone was raised in the foster home on dry and now that he has tasted wet will barely eat dry. I leave 1/2 of dry out for him and feed him two cans or one can and one pouch of wet a day. I give him a can in the morning and a can or pouch around 3-4. I find him snacking here and there on dry food in between when he is hungry
mstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I suggest mixing a little bit of water with the dry food, it will help to moisten it, brings out the aroma and your kitty gets extra hydration. Remember, cats wont eat something that they can't smell. One reason cats love wet food is because it smells appetizing to them so they go for it vs dry which isn't always as fragrant. You can also mix in with your kibble something else yummy (I saw someone mention a jelly they made) that encourages the eating of the dry. For my foster kitties that had issues with eating (failure to thrive, illness, etc) we would make a chicken shake. Take a whole chicken, boil it with no spices, let it cool, remove the bones, add chicken and water to a blender (at this time adding Supplical/Nutrical or probiotics or whatever extras you want to add-except medicine-is a good time now). Blend it up, it will make a nice thick shake. pour a little in their bowl, mix in the kibble and kitty will enjoy. If your money is tight then you can use half the chicken for kitty and half the chicken for a meal for you and your family
I think whether you go dry or you go wet food is a decision you and kitty and your vet should make. Look into dry food, look into wet food and make your own decision. I did my own research of dry food and I don't see any problems with it. I have also had cats in my past who ONLY ate dry food, and cheap dry food because we were so poor, and they were healthy cats that lived to be very old, about 20 yrs. Today, I have more money so I buy better quality dry food partly because I have cats with food sensitivies and partly because I don't want fillers in their food. You can find an inexpensive dry kibble that is still good quality. You just have to do your research.

Good luck!
KozyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

or, another option - dehydrated raw. honest kitchen makes dehydrated raw for cats, two kinds prowl and grace. you basically buy powder and add water. it's not that expensive, so check it out, if you buy bigger boxes its cheaper than canned i think. on honest kitchen website you can buy very small samples so you can first try if your cats will eat it. and i recommend doing it, because some cats dont like it (mine dont..)
Old 02-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

why not just mix the wet and the dry each meal?
Old 02-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyt View Post
why not just mix the wet and the dry each meal?
This Is what I do. The shelter we got the girls from did this as well. Both eat thei wet and dry all up.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I should point out that I don't buy the cheapy dry brands. They get corn-free only, and it is good quality that the vet has okayed for them. It just goes a long way and lasts a lot longer. I have tried mixing the wet and dry together--she just eats around the dry or like the kibbles clean. It's not that she won't eat ANY kibble, just not enough for a meal.

Last edited by marie73; 02-10-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

All of the cats have been basically turning their noses up at even the wet food lately. Anyway, I went out and bought a new brand (Chicken Soup), and fed that to them. One of my cats seems to like dry more anyway, and she wouldn't eat much of anything for days. She gobbled two servings in a row of that up. Then Emmy, the one I wrote this thread about, even ate a serving! So I guess the trick is: buy a brand they like! lol I guess it is true that the best cat food out there is the one the cat will eat because I've been having A LOT of problems lately even with expensive wet brands that I've had to throw out because they refuse to eat.

Sooo any tricks for getting them to eat WET now?? I do not know why they are giving me so many problems with eating lately because they are not even a year old yet (will all have a birthday this month).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement