Vaccines and indoor cats. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Vaccines and indoor cats.

Hi there - I just wanted to gather some of your opinions on doing yearly vaccines on STRICTLY indoor cats....
I was talking with a vet tech and she says she recommends not doing shots after you have finished the kitten vaccinations.
I have also googled it and found many people who do not vaccinate their cats yearly.

Up until now I do get my cats their booster shots yearly.. they are both 3 years old now with their upcoming yearly shot due in May.. I am wondering if I shouldn't vaccinate them anymore? Is it just a cash grab for veterinarians?

Let me know what you guys think!!!
RLMVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Rabies vaccine is mandated by law in Pennsylvania for all cats over 3 months of age. Desmond gets that every year, and FVRCP vaccine every three years. There is a third vaccine which is not required for indoor only cats, can't think of the name of it b/c all of the vets I've dealt with, for both Desmond and my late cat Smoky, agreed it was not necessary for indoor cats. I don't like the idea of giving more than I have to but I want to keep my cats healthy, at the same time.

A lot will depend on your vet, and on the laws in your particular area.
atm53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

My cats are indoor only. They received their initial vaccines and then maybe once or twice after that. I do not plan on vaccinating them again. I believe rabies is required by law here as well, but I've never heard of them enforcing it with cats. In fact, my vet has advised against vaccinating one of my cats any more due to the risk of vaccine site tumors (since she has had one already).
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I decide what vaccines to give on the basis of comparing the benefit to the risk.

I feel that the risk of my cats catching and passing on distemper is greater than the risk of the vaccination because of how it is transmitted, so I do the combo vaccine every three years.

I feel that the risk of my cats contracting feline leukemia is negligible, because they don't come into direct contact with other cats, so the risk of that vaccination outweighs the benefit, and I don't give it.

I also feel that the chance of my cats contracting rabies is negligible, but rabies vaccination is the law here, and I feel that the risk of my cats being outside the law is greater than the risk of the vaccination, so I do it every year as required.

The Boys: Maisie (age 8, adopted 2007,) Zephyr (age 7, adopted 2006,)
and Bentley (age 2, adopted 2013)
Blakeney Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My girls are kept up to date on their 3-year rabies vaccines, but I'm not sure whether they'll get their next FVRPC vaccine since they're indoor cats. My new vet says it's actually good for about 5 years, and she doesn't push it for 100% indoor cats. I'll decide in a couple years, when the 5 years are up.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

All of mine get rabies which is good for 3 years, plus an annual exam. The rabies shots are required by law here and if we ever have to evacuate because of disaster, I want them squeeky clean in the paperwork department. I have dropped all other shots.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I do rabies as required and distemper, although my cats are all indoors, they do come in contact with my roomie's cat that is indoor/outdoor.
Gummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Cat

We've decided not to renew vaccinations for our 5 year old strictly indoor cats. Rabies vaccines are not required by law for cats here in CA, only dogs. I did discuss this with the vet, and she 'respects our decision'...
CJinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Vaccines and indoor cats.

My kitty is almost 1. He finished his kitten shots in June though. Next month I'll book his appointment for some time in May (checkups at my vet need to be scheduled 4-6 weeks in advance - she's way too busy).

He'll get his rabies shot as required by law here. I think I'll probably do FVRCP again at least this year but maybe not for a while after that.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
rightsaidfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

My boys don't get any vaccines.

CF Sig by KrisMowBook, on Flickr
MowMow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement