Sudden Change in Eating Habits - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
tgw
Cat

Default Sudden Change in Eating Habits

Our cat Emily, has always loved canned cat food. She would eat dry, but only between servings of her canned food. She liked any flavor of canned food we gave her. Now all of a sudden she will not eat (except for a couple of bites every so often) any canned food. We tried switching to a different brand (so called premium ones) and still little interest. However she does like people food tuna.

I have a theory. She is undergoing a third deworming and prior to the beginning of the latest treatment had vomited some recently eaten canned food. I wonder if that made her afraid to eat her canned food.

For now we are giving her small amounts of tuna and she is eating her dry food. The premium brand of cat food we gave her was flaked tuna, and she only ate a few bites before quiting.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
tgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

Default Sudden Change in Eating Habits

I'm sorry to hear your kitty is not eating as she normally would. Be careful feeding your cat human tuna, or even canned cat food made with fish! Cats can become addicted to tuna-- human made or canned. It can cause mercury poisoning and tuna does not provide all the nutrients a cat needs. It can also cause allergic reactions in some cats.

So, is she eating her dry food normally? Or only a few bites at a time? I would think if it was a fear related to previously throwing up, she would refuse her dry food as well. Has she only thrown up the one time? What kind of wet food was she typically getting?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
RNcatlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

I've been having a lot of problems with food with my Guinny, and she will only be a year old tomorrow. She will refuse to eat pate one day, and will only eat gravy foods. So I buy her special gravy food, and then she decides she wants the pate. She would not touch the dry salmon food I have for her, so I went out and bought a slightly more expensive chicken brand which she loved. Now she won't touch that at all, and is back on the salmon. Oh its been quite the experience with her. Even when she does switch to a different food, she doesn't eat much. Anyway, I've noticed whenever she starts acting weird with food though, shortly after (sometimes it takes days) she will hack up a giant hairball. Obviously its caused her to become finicky either because she is full from fur or not feeling well. Could this be the issue with yours? Mine won't take the hairball treatment I've bought, but I brush her with a deshedder a lot lately, and it seems to be helping.
Merlin_Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
tgw
Cat

Emily only once since she adopted us has brought up a fur ball. She is eating, but not with the enthusiasm she previously had for the canned (Friskies). She has always loved the canned food (all flavors) since she came to us back in June.

We do limit the amount of tuna we give her for the reasons given. But I would think that all sea food would have the same mercury issue.

As I mentioned, the worms this time could have affected her appetite. She is eating about the same quanitity of dry food as before, which is left out for her to eat when she wants.

Last edited by tgw; 02-14-2013 at 11:50 PM.
tgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement