I Love My Feed Store - Page 3 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
Cat

Alright, thanks anie. What does carrageenan do? I noticed it's in a lot of wet foods.
dahowlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #22 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahowlers View Post
Alright, thanks anie. What does carrageenan do? I noticed it's in a lot of wet foods.
It's a seaweed-derived ingredient that thickens and gels food. As far as I know it has no nutritional benefit.

There are concerns about it because of research showing that it can cause GI inflammation and ulceration of the digestive tract.

I would avoid this one if possible, and if your pet has any kind of digestive trouble in particular it's probably best to take it completely off the menu to be safe.

The Boys: Maisie (age 9, adopted 2007,) Zephyr (age 8, adopted 2006,) Bentley (age 3, adopted 2013,) and foster kitty Cullen
Blakeney Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeney Green View Post
It's a seaweed-derived ingredient that thickens and gels food. As far as I know it has no nutritional benefit.

There are concerns about it because of research showing that it can cause GI inflammation and ulceration of the digestive tract.

I would avoid this one if possible, and if your pet has any kind of digestive trouble in particular it's probably best to take it completely off the menu to be safe.
i just wanted to clarify that degraded carrageenan was used in this research. While I can't comment on all foods, the "high end" companies I've contacted don't use degraded.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
Cat

I went to the feed store today and no Fancy Feast, and I noticed that they don't sell any type of really low quality cat food.

They did start carrying byNature though, so I picked up three different cans, and two different cans of EVO for Freya to try. The byNature is $28.51 for 24 5.5oz cans before tax though, so I probably will only get that one when it's on sale at petfooddirect. I'll have to go check Petco/Petsmart/Walmart for Fancy Feast deals.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #25 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default I Love My Feed Store

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebraskaCat View Post
I don't know if it was an accurate statement, but my vet told me that Friskies wet (which I used to feed) was the cat equivalent of humans eating McDonalds, i.e. ok once in a while in small portions as a treat, but not good for daily consumption.
I was told the same exact thing years ago.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 02-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #26 (permalink)
Cat

My sister and I ran to Walmart last night after work and they've got Fancy Feast "Classics" for $14 for a 24 pack of 3 oz cans, that's 19 cents an ounce though, so in reality, it's more expensive than EVO, which is 15 cents and ounce, but cheaper than byNature, which is about 21 cents an ounce.

byNature has a really weird consistency! I opened up the salmon one today and it was like goop! It didn't have that firmer gelatinous texture, it looked like baby food and didn't smell as strongly as the 9Lives. I divided it into fourths, between the three cats and the fourth piece in the fridge, and Freya loved it(like all food lol) Kick Start ate about half of his before he turned his nose up at it, and Psycho wouldn't touch it. So Freya got three portions lol I'm spoiling her with fish foods before we go live with Telmo, and I'm really glad she likes it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement