Litter Problem? - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cat

I have been using Prescious Cat litter for several months now.
I usually change the litter every 3-4 weeks; it seemed like it did not need to be changed that soon. I am currently trying, for expenses sake, and as an experiment, to extend the time between cleaning and changing litter.
It will be 5 weeks this week end. I have just been adding a bit more litter, as needed. I find that if I keep the pee, poop in there for a while--like hours and hours, there is a bit of a smell, especially if the litter is a bit on the low side. I pick up the pee and poop, mix up the litter; and depending on if it needs more, I will either add more litter or sprinkle a tiny amount of Arm and Hammer litter deodorizer on top--just a tiny bit cuz it is dusty scented baking soda. So far so good----I will either change/clean the litter box this weekend or next---
I am very satisfied with Prescious Cats--blue bag. Actually, I really like it.. It seems to be the best! and I have tried 4 other types of litter over the past year...
I absolutely hate the smell of litter boxes.
Everyone who comes into my apartment ( I have had many due to having homecare for my injury) comments that it does not smell like "cat" in here. That, expect for the toys, they would never know I have a cat...
sorry for the rambling--I am quite sleepy now due to painkillers that I am taking for my shoulder....
artiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3gatos View Post
I use wood pellets and it has all but eliminated the urine smell! The poop smell doesn't get covered, but the only time it smells is in the morning, right before I clean it, I could probably eliminate any odor by removing the stool twice a day. It doesn't bother me though, so it works really well for us.

I had a tracking problem which is why I switched, there was litter everywhere, even in my bed! The wood pellets are only $3 for a 40lb bag and that lasts us 3-4 weeks which is a TON cheaper than what I was paying for litter, and we used to get the cheapest litter $7/ bag. So the wood pellets I can get 2 months worth for what I was paying for one month with the clay litter, it's a no brainer for me!
I'm curious about using wood pellets. We have a pellet stove in our house and DH gets low ash wood pellets from Lowes, $5 for a 40 lb. bag (vs. the $13 for 40 lb. bag of Scoop Away that I currently buy at BJ's). Do you just use regular wood pellets? How often do you have clean the boxes and completely empty/replace the pellets? Do you have the special litter boxes with the tray (like the Feline Pine boxes?) DH isn't convinced that plain old wood is going to hide the urine smell. I scoop out poop as soon as I smell it (2 of my cats don't cover their poo), and clean the urine clumps once a day.
ang79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement