Suddenly stopped eating - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Suddenly stopped eating

I'm at home right now, about to take our 11 year old ginger to the vet.

He didn't eat his whole dinner last night (not so strange I guess) and this morning, has suddenly decided he is no longer interested in food. This is very unusual as this is a very food oriented cat. Every morning and evening at meal times he meows at me in a highly irritating way to ensure food arrives as quickly as possible. When he vomits up from eating too quickly, he will ask for a new meal to make up for it!

He's also behaving very strangely. Sitting under the table and not hissing at our other cat...

The internet tells me this could be a number of issues, and I suppose only the vet can assess the situation. However, I wanted to know if any members have had this happen and NOT had their cat diagnosed a terrible health problem.

ecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My girls have off days, but I try not to worry unless it goes beyond two days. And it is shocking when a food-oriented kitty isn't interested in eating.

I hope it's nothing serious.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Gandalf who is my boyfriend's cat lives with me and I take care of him. He didn't want treats one day. This was extremely worrying. He'll claw my hand down when treats are involved! Later, one cat peed on my bed with a clean litter box. Then there was vomit and diarrhea. Gandalf acted strangely as well. He just seemed unhappy. Uninterested in things, inactive. This all happened within 4 days. I had them on an all kibble diet, basically, and decided to switch to all canned food with a small amount of kibble. I decided it was a UTI since everything cleared up after the change in food. I was very scared, but it turned out to be an easy matter.
Tokkaebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Believe me, this was not an off day. Kitty is a very food oriented cat and was behaving very strangely.

He had to be put on an IV drip as he was very dehydrated. His white blood cell count came back low so there is definitely something going on. The vet is a bit perplexed. He is being held overnight for observation/further prodding.

Thank you both for your concern and mention of non drastic possibilities! I have my fingers crossed.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Suddenly stopped eating

He's in my thoughts. I'm glad you took him in. If nothing else you'll be more informed.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

mumof7kitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Well the low WBC explains the decreased appetite. There are a lot of things that can cause that, so it's good he's getting some tests.

Hope it goes well for you and your Kitty.

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat
NebraskaCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Well he is back at home... Still without a diagnosis and still unwell. He is on antibiotics and fluids and will go back to the vet next week for a WBC check. It breaks my heart to see him so unwell
Old 02-27-2013, 01:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I'm sorry to hear that he's not feeling well. I know what it's like to have a sick cat with no diagnosis. 7+ weeks...though mine seems - finally - to be doing better. I hope whatever is ailing your kitty clears up soon.
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Thank you for your well wishes! He has perked up a little, but it still bothers me not knowing what is wrong. He is drinking a lot of water which concerns me considering he has just been on a fluid drip, but surely the vet would have picked it up if it was something like kidney disease? Surely?

We are about to go on holidays too... horrible timing... but he will be looked after while we are away of course.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

May have a cold coming on. Watch for other signs like vomiting or diahhrea. I would give it a day or so before being really concerned.
Advertisement