Low white blood cell count :( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Low white blood cell count :(

Tessie had her first Chemo treatment last week and today we went in to get some blood work done... It's not very good news, her white blood cell count is very low. They had to give me an antibiotic as a precaution so she can fight infection... They also told me to come back next week for another round of blood work and hope that it goes back up to normal range. If it does not go back to normal range then the treatment will have to be stopped . I am so upset, Just when you think something is going to work and make her life better is actually making her sick. Keep Tessie in your thoughts!
~*Regina*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Tessie has been in my thoughts for quite a while now and will continue to be. And you, too. My gosh, the things the two of you have gone through. You are compassionate and patient and steadfast. And she is resilient and trusting and just a little soldier. Best wishes to you.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Aw I'm so sorry. Prayers for you and Tessie! Keep us posted.
Junebug's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I'm sorry to see this. All paws crossed for your precious Tessie.
lovetimesfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Thanks everyone! <3
~*Regina*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I am keeping positive thoughts for both of you! Please take good care of yourself.

Mylita
Mylita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Aw poor Tessie I hope she'll be okay!
lausa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Hi,

Tessie is such a cute name for a cat, by the way.

Anyway, I wanted to post in this thread, as it came up when I did an internet search for low white blood cell count (for cats).

My cat has also been on chemo, and we're doing blood tests to check for the white blood cell count. I had a blood test done about 3 days after he had his second chemo dose, and the white blood cell count was pretty low.

I was having a "mobile" vet come to our house to give the blood tests -- I didn't want to have to drag my poor kitty (Toby) to the vet again. I think I may do that, though -- it's been difficult having more than one vet see him, in terms of getting a consensus on his current health.

Toby apparently has lymphoma, and it has spread pretty far throughout his system.

We first noticed something was wrong when he suddenly went blind. His pupils became huge -- unnaturally large, I would say, and I noticed he was stumbling a bit. However, he gets around so well through smell and his whiskers and habit that if it hadn't been for his pupils, I might have been fooled.

However, when I brought him into the vet, she felt two tumors on his neck. Toby's sight came back in a couple of days -- apparently, he probably has a brain tumor, and something happened with that (a shift? it's difficult to say) that messed up his vision.

Although - praise God! - his behavior and appetite have been good for a while now, I noticed today he seems kind of down and out and then when I looked at him closely, I noticed that one pupil is a lot larger than the other. And his eyes have stayed that way for several hours now.

I imagine whatever happened that caused him to be temporarily blind is causing this as well.

He seems a bit uncomfortable, too -- he's shaking his head, fast, a little, now and then. I don't know if perhaps his head is bothering him? I wish he could tell me.

He is on prednisone (sp) currently, which seemed to aid his health -- that is to say, it didn't cure him, of course, but seemed to make him feel better.

I'm sure tons of people here already know this, but with cats is so much like with humans, isn't it? You just wish they could live to a ripe old age with a high quality of life for as long as possible, and die in their sleep.

It is alarming and distressing to have to watch out for signs that he is ailing.

I don't mean to derail this thread -- and if anyone on the internet does find this thread while researching about their cat -- well, since I don't know anyone who can do at-home tests for white blood cell counts (!) they are probably in touch with a vet.

However, I would not necessarily jump to the conclusion that a white blood cell count that is low means cancer. It does seem to mean that the immune system is compromised, though - at least temporarily.

Anyway, thanks for listening -- please wish Toby, along with Tessie, kind wishes and warm purrs. <3

-Kate
TobysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement