Different food flavors - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Different food flavors

When you feed your cat do you stay with the same flavor for a while or feed them a mixture during the week ? I feed Ragnar Evo we buy the variety pack and give him couple of different flavor a week . Is this right or were doig it all wrong ? Any suggestions would help

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Marlindh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

A couple flavors a week is good imo. I'm sure they appreciate it.

In my case I like to add a little spoonful of various wet "junk" food in with his diet which consists of Evo C&T and Innova C&T to vary it up. My cat has a special diet though so its different.
Busterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I switch up the flavors with each can
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

With cats you WANT to feed on rotation, preferably between flavours as well as brands. The reason is that cats can be fixated on certain flavours or brands. If something happens to that particular brand or flavour (ie: company closing, discontinuations, supply problems at the store), you'll be screwed. Some will actually refuse to eat anything else other than their usual. Switching things up will prevent that.

Also if the cat develops allergies or other health issues then again, you'll be in a better place if there's more choices that they'll accept and are familiar with.

Doesn't have to be many. At least 2 brands and just alternate the flavours.
Alpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

if your cats are eating the food, you're fine. my cats will balk if I feed them the same flavor more than two meals in a row. so what I do is keep the food in a plastic container in the fridge, and for some weird reason, they never completely finish a can (unless it's 3 oz. and I never buy that size because it's more expensive that way) so I start a new can out by mixing it with the remainder of whatever went before. it must taste good because I've been doing this for a year and they eat.

I recommend changing the flavors relatively often (I have about 10 different flavors I use in no particular order) to keep them from burning out on a food. once my cats like a flavor, they seem to consistently eat it, but I don't feed them the same thing often so maybe it seems new to them. I know cats are capricious as far as what they like one day is doo-doo the next but this seems to help. I think you should keep doing it the way you are.
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Gee, if my kittens ever start eating the same flavor/brand of wet food more often than twice a week reliably, I'll know I've died and gone to heaven. They refuse all offered foods at least two meals a day. /sigh I don't think I'm offering them too much food, I'm pretty careful about that. And I feed the good stuffs, high protein, grain free, recommended here and online by you all. /double sigh I'm at my wits end. Some brands I can easily see why they refuse, I would too. But, even tuna flavored foods are refused quite often, although I only offer them once a week. So much waste.

I guess I just have really picky eaters. /major sigh

Mylita

(This goes for foods that initially they scarfed down like it was caviar, too.)
Mylita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylita View Post
Gee, if my kittens ever start eating the same flavor/brand of wet food more often than twice a week reliably, I'll know I've died and gone to heaven. They refuse all offered foods at least two meals a day. /sigh I don't think I'm offering them too much food, I'm pretty careful about that. And I feed the good stuffs, high protein, grain free, recommended here and online by you all. /double sigh I'm at my wits end. Some brands I can easily see why they refuse, I would too. But, even tuna flavored foods are refused quite often, although I only offer them once a week. So much waste.

Mylita

I'm starting to experience this as well as I'm exposing my guys to more variety. I've just switched them to Natural Balance because the EVO wasn't helping with the diarrhea/vomitting problem they've been having. They gobbled up the first duck and venison cans I gave them. But now, only a couple days later, they seem less than impressed when I put the same food down for them. Sigh. I really don't need them to make this more difficult than it already is!
svenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylita View Post

Mylita

either your cats are fussy fussy fussy or mine are just pigs LOL. well, actually I know that two of my cats will eat practically anything, but I have run across food they didn't like. merrick's before grain (I think it was chicken), grammy's pot pie, and wellness chicken with herring were pretty big flops. I gave the pot pie to a shelter and doctored the other two with enough weruva to get them to finish the case and then never bought it again.

so in light of the situation, my third cat tries to act finicky but I am very strict with him, just as in if he rejects a meal, too bad. no more food until the next meal and then he almost always eats it, regardless. sometimes he acts grudgingly about it, other times I have added bonito flakes to it but I realized it was making him stink up the litter box so that's a rarity now.

if it's a second go-round and he still is acting like it's yucky, I put a few pieces of dry spot's stew on it and he dives right in. I used to think I would give it as an evening meal if I were just too tired, but now that's the only time I ever use dry food--as a garnish to entice on wet food.

so far I haven't had the tragic experience of them loving something one minute and hating it the next. I know when I first starting feeding them all canned, I was tempted to hover and go, "oh no! don't like that one? well here, try this one." LOL that made me very transparent and I believe cats figure that out quickly. now if I know they like it and it's good food, I just put it out and leave, unless it's so good that i'm afraid the youngest will raid the blind kitty's dish and she won't get enough to eat, because I've caught him doing that but for the most part, it's uneventful.

I think you have to act like it's the depression (although I have no idea what it was like ) and say, "oh look. you are SO lucky to have good food to eat. there are starving alley cats out there who'd be happy to have meow mix, maybe I should give them your food." hahaha
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

Thank you guys for all the input . I'm glad I'm doing good lol . He just seems to not like the venison at all and just picks at it I leave it there and by the time I come back from work it's usually finished . I think he got the point that he's got to eat what I give him or its nothing.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Marlindh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I currently feed 6 brands, 8 flavours (excluding homecooked) and rotate with each can. Even if there is any problem with a certain brand, he won't get into too much of a problem with just one to two cans per week. I am gonna take away TOTW canned cos the 1st ingredient is salmon and the smell and look, seemed gross to me. I will keep adding new variety if I can find any that ET will eat and within my budget. Natural Balance and Nature's Variety is way too expensive here, so I won't consider.

Even though ET is getting finicky, but I still managed to get him to eat those that he won't completely reject by adding toppings. And like cinderflower, I do open another can before one can finishes, so ET gets 2 different flavours/brands in a day. ET is a small eater, so sometimes one can will take 3 days to finish.

Brands like Evo 95%, Wellness regular, Addiction (pate style), Holistic Select, there is simply no way I can get him to eat, even when I just add a tsp hidden with his usual food. He can smell it and simply refused the whole plate. Anyway, since he already has a couple other brand, so I won't force this on him.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement