Cat keeps getting wound in same spot - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Cat keeps getting wound in same spot

Hi everybody. I'm not sure where to put this, so hopefully this is the right place.

My cat has a wound up between his "shoulder blades" that goes away and then seem to reappear.

He is a crazy guy who runs around like a mad man at night. We live in a small condo and are a bit bike crazy. So there are 5 bikes around. 4 of them are up and out of the way, but one of them is often down and he likes to run under it. I always kind of thought he was hitting his back on the chain ring. But we got rid of that bike, so it shouldn't be an issue anymore. And today I noticed he has quite a large fresh scab there. So it must be from something else.

My paranoia goes into high alert though. Could there be another cause apart from him just running into stuff? It's always the same spot.
WhistleStop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I think he is hitting something in the same spot. Albert gets his face scratched because he runs trough the rose bush...silly cat

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Dicesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

It's a pretty good sized scab. Maybe nickel sized. The hair doesn't grow there anymore either.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

One of my cats was getting cuts between his shoulder blades when a spring was coming out from my armchair on the underside and I didn't realize it. I think you're right that he's probably getting it from crawling under something, but it may not have been the bike. I would feel the undersides of your furniture too, to make sure nothing sharp sticks out.

The Boys: Maisie (age 9, adopted 2007,) Zephyr (age 8, adopted 2006,)
Bentley
(age 3, adopted 2013,) and foster kitty Cullen
Blakeney Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I had an old couch that had a wore thing sticking out and would cut my ferret and I didn't know why!! So heck everything

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Dicesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Is there any redness around the edges of the scab? Does it look inflammed or does he have any drainage? It could be a recurring abcess that never completely drains and reopens itself and scabs over again. If you pick the scab off, is there healthy tissue underneath the scab? The fact hair no longer grows in the area argues for a dead spot in the skin like would form with an abcess or with a thick scar.

It is so hard to find out where he may be getting hurt repeatedly. They are such curious and sinuous little buggers.
LaurulFeatherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It's probably just something he keeps irritating by running under some low object. However, I would urge you to have your vet take a look simply because that is the location where many vets still give injections, and injection site sarcoma is a remote possibility.

Laurie
laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

So I've looked around the condo for what he could be running into if that's the case. Most of my furniture is too low for him to get under (an inch or so off the ground). He COULD get under the bed, but I've never once seen him do that. And he chases my new girl and that's where she runs to hide and he never follows her. So I don't know what he would be hitting.

The cyst is a thought. I had a dog, and that would happen to him. I've never felt a bump there though. Which usually there would be when it fills with fluid. It doesn't look red, but it does look like it maybe pussed at one point. Kind of hard to tell for sure.

I hope it's nothing more serious.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tom Cat

If there is any indication it could be holding pus or be infected, a vet visit is a must for his health. Any infection can lead to terminal blood infections that would spread throughout the body and damage organs and result in death for the cat.

Check out the small infection possibility on his back to keep him from having a larger problem later.
LaurulFeatherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

My dog had a cyst before that would fill up and then if you squeezed it, the puss came out. (The vet checked it several times and it was okay). But I could always SEE where the opening was.

Last night, the scab came off the aforementioned wound and I was looking and looking, and there is NOTHING there. It's bizarre. There is a bald patch, as per usual. But it doesn't look like there was a mark on him. And I can't find and opening or any evidence of a cyst either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement