my 14 week old kitten has runny poop - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Question my 14 week old kitten has runny poop

i have 2 kittens about 15 and 16 weeks old. both were actually at vet yesterday for 2nd shots and rabies. stool was checked and no parasites. i brought them home about a month ago and switched them both to Wellness Core. the younger kitten has had applesauce looking poop since they have been on Wellness. i was cleaning box this morning and he jumped in and started pooping. not watery but for sure runny. could the high protein be too much for him? if so what brand should i switch to? gradually of course. he is very active and acts normal he eats and drinks and actually gained weight since his neuter a week ago.

should i call vet and possibly treat for Guardia, or try different food first??
elykoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

How much is he eating per day? If he is being free fed, I would try feeding meals 3 times a day. If my cats get into the kibble they always get runny stools.
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Kittens digestive systems are extremely sensitive. Doesn't take much to upset things.
If I were you, I would call your vet, tell them just like you wrote here. The food may be too rich for him.

Kittens eat a lot and need to. They run around loads and their little metabolisms are wizzing away and their bodies are busily growing.
What my vet did was put mine on a bland diet (chicken & rice) till things calmed down.
But like I said, call YOUR vet and ask them
Old 05-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Cat

elykoj, is it wet or dry Core........and, which variety?
Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Probably not related but my cat had the same issue about a month ago and he was on Wellness. It happened right when I bought him a new bag - same brand and flavor. Vet said Wellness might have changed their formula. Needless to say, I switched my cat to food from the vet and he's done fine ever since.

Heather102180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather102180 View Post
Probably not related...
...Needless to say, I switched my cat to food from the vet and he's done fine ever since.
Again, not to hijack away from elykoj's problem, perhaps you would appreciate some information about those 'prescription "foods"'., Heather.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default answers

i feed them 1/4 cup of dry Wellness Core kitten formula twice a day. they came from the breeder on Iams kitten dry, should i do a slow switch back to that and see if that corrects the problem? if it does then i can go get something more healthy instead of Wellness Core. i just dont want to go buy another expensive food and it not be the problem
elykoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elykoj View Post
i feed them 1/4 cup of dry Wellness Core kitten formula twice a day. they came from the breeder on Iams kitten dry, should i do a slow switch back to that and see if that corrects the problem? if it does then i can go get something more healthy instead of Wellness Core. i just dont want to go buy another expensive food and it not be the problem
There are loads on this site that throw up a crucifix at Iams. I use it, always have over 30 years but that's me and my cats.

If I were you, I would call your vet and ask them the best course of action from the point you are at now. They may suggest something very bland to "reset" everything and get your kitten back to well formed stools.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
You can try the Iams again, however, I would probably not do the CORE kitten, but just the original Wellness CORE. Haven't heard too many positive things about the new formulas. It's pretty much just a marketing ploy.
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
...they came from the breeder on Iams kitten dry, should i do a slow switch back to that and see if that corrects the problem?...
[Just as a btw, before I knew better, I fed Iams Kitten and then Adult. When I moved to Orijen (grain-free) I did it very slowly with success. After a few years, I tried moving from Orijen to the Wellness Core - again, slowly, but there came a point when almost everyone's stools went runny. I gave up at that point and returned to Orijen. In retrospect, I believe that, had I continued the changeover, but, on an even slooooower schedule, it would have worked.]

I would not go back to the Iams product if I were in your position. But - I'd return to using a little of it....here's what I'm thinking:

The easiest, quick solution for you would probably be to go back into your changeover schedule....perhaps, over a couple of weeks, gradually get yourself up to about 20% Iams....all the time watching the stool output. The day you see suitably firm stool, level off. Stay with that ratio for a few weeks, then extremely slowly, start reducing the Iams again until it's 100% Core. How long will that take? Dunno...but, I know I wouldn't rush it at all. I also think you'll need to keep a record of amounts and results.

All of that said, I'd also recommend you begin an introduction to wet foods.

Quote:
If he is being free fed, I would try feeding meals 3 times a day.
The generally recommended regimen for kittens is that they have free access to food 24/7/365 during their first year.

Quote:
Haven't heard too many positive things about the new formulas. It's pretty much just a marketing ploy.
There are some minor differences among all formulas. There is a major difference in two: no fish (Indoor, Turkey-Duck). There's a significant caloric difference in two - about 100 kcal/cup fewer (Indoor, Turkey-Duck)...and, those same two have a little less protein content. I'm using the Turkey-Duck - for its purpose, I'm happy with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement