My 8-year old cat died unexpectedly? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2013, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default My 8-year old cat died unexpectedly?

My 8-year old cat that I had since he was a 3-month old kitten died unexpectedly on May 8, 2013 at around 5:00 a.m. I was asleep, but I woke up because he sounded like he was trying to throw up a hairball. He was hunched over and made the exact same noise as cats do when they have a hairball, so initially I wasn't that alarmed yet, but then I noticed that it went on far longer than expected. After about two minutes, he ran out of the room and into the corridor where he laid down on his side, and started to breath very heavily. In between the heavy breaths, he began meowing loudly. I started panicking and I didn't know what to do or what was going on, I just cried a little and tried to find the number of the closest emergency animal hospital that was available. A minute later he ran down the stairs, but he stopped half way through and just laid on his side again while continuing his heavy breathing and meows. His meows and breathes became fainter, and then he eventually did vomit which made me relieved, so I thought he was going to be ok. However, almost immediately after vomiting he passed away.

I never thought this would happen, prior to that time he showed absolutely no signs of being ill or unusual behavior. I'm not ashamed to say that he was definitely my best friend, so his death just crushed me on an emotional level, and the fact that I don't have the slightest idea of what could have caused it is bugging me everyday. This is primarily why I joined this wonderful forum, to get an understand of what possibly happened and have closure.
Anyastt9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2013, 03:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

I obviously have no idea what happened to your best friend. All I can say is that the pain and loss you feel are valid and that my heart aches for you. We have all, (or most of us have) lost one of our pets and regardless the circumstance, the pain is almost unbearable.
I hope you can heal and know that some day you will.
Peace
mikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I am so sorry for what happened and I can just imagine how awful that was. It sounds like there was no way that you could have gotten help fast enough. Time is the only thing that heals and I there is a special place in my heart for each one of my furry family that has passed.
cat owner again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I am soo sorry for the loss of your beloved kitty.

Last edited by marie73; 06-01-2013 at 10:21 PM.
marie5890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I'm so sorry my heart goes out to you. ((Hugs))

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Yuki'sMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

We may not know what happened to your poor kitty, but we are here for emotional support.

Last edited by marie73; 06-01-2013 at 10:21 PM.
BigDaveyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I am so sorry about what happened to your cat. There is a possibility that your cat had an asthma attack. My friend's kitty was rushed to emergency animal hospital and they told her it was asthma not hairball. Similar episode like hairball just slightly different and it could be fast and fatal.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

Default I am so sorry

I am so sorry. I wish I had some tidbit of information, but as much as I feel I know about cats and cat health, their little bodies really are a mystery. In humans we have all kinds of diagnostic tests that can pretty much pinpoint whats going wrong, but much less so with our animal friends, particularly after they are gone. It does sound like he may have been choking, either via an asthma attack, an allergic reaction (maybe an insect sting) or a perhaps a foreign body. The last few minutes sounds like end stage congestive heart failure, but that is usually preceded by signs of failing health. Whatever the cause, you have my heartfelt sympathy. My cats are my children and the loss of them will be a loss of a big part of me.
Justteri1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I'm so sorry for you, Muska. It sounds like he and you were both scared while it was happening. You may never know why he died.

But if you want to share happy memories stories or photos in his honor, please understand that so many people here understand the sadness and confusion of losing a beloved pet.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebraskaCat View Post
I'm so sorry for you, Muska. It sounds like he and you were both scared while it was happening. You may never know why he died.

But if you want to share happy memories stories or photos in his honor, please understand that so many people here understand the sadness and confusion of losing a beloved pet.
I agree NebraskaCat....sometimes writing out all of your memories and sharing with others who will enjoy the unique personality of YOUR cat can be comforting and help you heal. I know I would enjoy hearing them if you are ever ready to share them.
Justteri1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement