Cat Gingivitis??? - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I would not go with the Dentasure because its website gives me the skeezies - reminds me of the last-night "three easy payments of $600" ads.

I find Amazon is a good place to get "real" reviews of products, all in one place. Skip the 5-stars (because they're 90% shills, though you get a feel for when it's a fake review after a while) and the 1-stars. You get a pretty goo idea of what products can and can't do.

For Io, I use a combination of the Proden Plaquoff (it's the seaweed powder you mix into their food every day), chicken necks (once a week), and brushing (which both here are terrible at and probably doesn't do anything.) We've only been on that regiment for about a month though, so I can't say how well it's going. Her teeth look fine to me but the vet suggested it.

To be honest, I'd got with the meat chunks just because there's something really satisfying about seeing a happy cat tearing it up. But, unfortunately, I don't think a truly "hands-off" solution exists. I suspect you just gotta brush, and if your kitty doesn't like it, they either learn to like it or have expensive dental bills.
Jacq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Yea I just called my vet. Talk about expensive vet bill. The minimum for a cleaning would be 315.... Meaning 630 minimum for both cats... Whooo. I had no idea cleaning a cats teeth was so expensive. Why is that!?

Im going to get cet chews for sure. Keep up on the proden. I might as well try the petzlife. I won't be using it permanently. Just to turn this around right now then I can maintain it.... Anyone have any comments on the ingredients of the petzlife oral care spray?

I'll look into the Biotene. Thank you!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Where do I live?! Haha one of the most expensive cities in the country, I am surrounded by multimillionaire immigrants -- we have the highest Chinese population outside of China.

Around here the cost comes from the anesthetizing procedure. That takes up 400 dollars, so kinda hard to skip on it. I think it's paying for a trained person to monitor the cat while the procedure is underway. But maybe not, since there isn't an alternative without such astronomical cost.

I'm seriously considering that Proden. Not for Blacky, too late for her teeth (she doesn't even have her upper canines) but Jasper has that red line on his gums as well.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.

Last edited by Carmel; 06-22-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
Yea I just called my vet. Talk about expensive vet bill. The minimum for a cleaning would be 315.... Meaning 630 minimum for both cats... Whooo. I had no idea cleaning a cats teeth was so expensive. Why is that!?

Im going to get cet chews for sure. Keep up on the proden. I might as well try the petzlife. I won't be using it permanently. Just to turn this around right now then I can maintain it.... Anyone have any comments on the ingredients of the petzlife oral care spray?

I'll look into the Biotene. Thank you!

Whew-ee! That is a lot of money!

Right, Brush, Proden & Chews. That sounds like a great plan to me. They are young so there recoup. shouldn't take long.

That spray stuff you were talking about, I don't know of it (naturally lol) but from what you said there are two things that would put me off it; alcohol content (no matter how small) and it being a SPRAY.

I don't know how your cat is but my loving B.B. almost ripped me a new vein in my wrist when I tried to use some pump spray, supposed to be silent action, conditioner to ease her itching. This was about 5 years ago.
The spray sound just scares them and they react.

Since that unforgettable experience if I HAVE to use a spray, I open the lid and pour a little in my hand or a little glass/ cup or spoon, etc. and sprinkle, dribble or rub in like aftershave. (depending on what it is)

You're kitties may be different, but I guess I'm trying to warn about sprays if you never used them on your cats before.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Well they are fine with sprays actually. I might just get the gel because we are out of the spray right now at my store... I just don't know about this whole alcohol thing.. It must not have a whole lot in it if holistic vets are recommending it and like I said I'm only going to use it for about the 30 day period until I see some improvement.... ugh. Really don't wanna do that but it works really well apparently... I certainly cannot spend 630 plus right now lol that's insane... They are only supposed to get 1/8 teaspoon twice a day. For 30 days... I'll let you all know how it works!

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter

Last edited by marie73; 06-22-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

My cat has notoriously bad teeth too... she had to have a cleaning and major dental extractions at age 1. So I definitely share your concern about cat dental care. :\

I skimmed and didn't notice anyone else say they use the CET dental chews? I've used the CET dental chews as well as Vetoquinol Enzadent, a pretty much identical brand that I bought directly at my vet clinic. The CET chews and Enzadent chews are very similar and I think Petrodex also makes the same type of thing. They look and feel kind of like brown styrofoam packing peanuts.

I feed my cat one a day after her last meal. In my opinion, they DO seem to help somewhat. They're not a miracle cure, but better than nothing. As I said above, my cat is already highly prone to dental disease, so I may not be seeing benefits as clearly as someone might with a different cat. Toothbrushing alone is probably more effective then these chews alone, but the chews help somewhat, and are more enjoyable to the cat (mine goes bonkers for her treat every day!). And if you can, may as well combine methods!

Check out the Veterinary Oral Health Council website; they have a list of approved products that have been demonstrated in clinical trials to benefit oral health/hygiene in dogs and cats. The list is here although it doesn't seem to be fully current--there are some other products that are VOHC approved but not on this list. Still helpful to check out.
Flauros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Thanks for the list!!! I looked at it. Wasnt much on it for cats. But feline greenies were on there??? Do those things actually do anything?? Because I really thought they were a joke.... A piece of kibble marked as a dental chew lol

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Old 06-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I have become a lay kittie mama expert when it comes to dental health after my almost 10 y/o cat came down with stomatitis (NASTY disease) and I chose to have all her teeth extracted. She is doing well. But I wish i knew about the importance of dental health years ago.

Now I brush my other cat's teeth daily (C.E.T) She is 1 y/o and was showing gingivitis at the time I got her (she was 8 months at the time). When I first started out, her gums bleed and so I brushed her teeth 2 x a day until her gums got healthy.

She does squirm but doesnt put up a big fight when I do her teeth....And I dont just brush the outside. Infact she kinda helps by actually knawing on the tooth brush LOL....

Her gums are nice and pink and healthy. I do pay attention to a couple of spots that I think may be something of possible hot spots.

But after Harmony's stomatitis, I will always be brushing the teeth of any cat I own. Period.
marie5890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:54 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Whoever suggested the Biotene which I guess is now called Oratene. I think Im going to order the whole line. The maintenance gel, the mouth wash, and the antiseptic gel to get it under control now. Been reading on it. It seems like a good line of products. No alcohol, chlorhexidine, or xylitol. The antiseptic gel would make me feel better to use once I get it then I can stop using the stuff with alcohol.

Maintenance Gel: Oratene Veterinarian Maintenance Gel, 2.5 oz | VetDepot.com
Antiseptic Gel: Oratene Veterinarian Antiseptic Oral Gel, 1 oz | VetDepot.com
Mouthwash: Oratene Breath Freshener, 4 oz Pump | VetDepot.com

Pretty inexpensive stuff that obviously works if its one of the lines vets give out!

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement