Sheba Canned Food? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Sheba Canned Food?

So, I was at Target and I saw some Sheba food, and the ingredients looked okay so I picked a few cans up. Here are the ingredients for the chicken and beef pate in natural juices:

Beef, Meat Broth, Meat By-Products, Poultry By-Products, Beef Liver, Chicken, Minerals (Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Copper Sulfate), Natural Flavor, Guar Gum, Added Color, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Fish Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Vitamin E Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Vitamin B6], Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex [Source of Vitamin K Activity]), DL-Methionine, Salt, Taurine.

Here are the ingredients for the chicken entree in gravy:

Chicken Broth, Chicken, Meat By-Products, Chicken Liver, Natural Flavor, Starch, Added Color, Fish Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Minerals (Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Copper Sulfate),Tetra Potassium Pyrophosphate, Salt, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Vitamin E Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Vitamin B6], Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex [Source of Vitamin K Activity]), Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Xanthan Gum, Taurine, DL-Methionine.

The only ingredients I didn't really like are Starch and Added Color. Other than that it seems like a decent food. I'd be feeding it in rotation with commercial raw and other canned foods. Am I wrong that this is a good food? I searched for information about Sheba on this site, but only found info about the tubs. These are the little 3oz cans. Is it okay to feed my cats this?
NullEntropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 11:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mar
Jr. Cat

by products are really bad for cats! it's the stuff that humans cannot eat and they stuff it in cat food. i would NOT reccomend this food. i feed my cat blue buffalo wet food that has no by products, even if it is high in cholesterol. i think wellness would be a better wet food brand.

and meat isn't even the first ingredient! the broth is!
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I can't afford to buy high end food all the time, and wellness has had so many recalls on both their wet and dry food, it causes concern for me. I've been reading that by-products in wet food is not as big of a deal as it is in dry food, and that they're FAR better than the many grains and vegetables in other foods.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I use Wellness and have not seen any recent recalls on their canned food anyway.

I know by products are not the best choice, but I know some people who can't afford the expensive stuff and I don't think it's bad to feed the cheaper stuff if you can't afford the better stuff. Many people are happy with fancy feast, the pate style or classic style ones and same with friskies. My sister's cat lived 18 years on friskies canned. And her 10 year old cat eats fancy feast with no issues. I have a feral that eats fancy feast too, she loves it. For some reason, and I don't know why, I like friskies and fancy feast better than meow mix and sheba. I don't know why.
howsefrau32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

In addition, cats traditionally eat meat "by products" that humans wouldn't. I feed them commercial raw which include heart, lung, bone, beat, etc. Those are all things that we wouldn't eat, but cats do in the wild.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullEntropy View Post
In addition, cats traditionally eat meat "by products" that humans wouldn't. I feed them commercial raw which include heart, lung, bone, beat, etc. Those are all things that we wouldn't eat, but cats do in the wild.
You are right. And if you read Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health, dr. Lisa Pierson even says that maybe by products are not a bad thing, for this reason. It's not the by products so much that concern me, it's more of the coloring and stuff that goes into those foods like Sheba to make it look palatable and like people food that I dn't like.
howsefrau32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by howsefrau32 View Post
I use Wellness and have not seen any recent recalls on their canned food anyway.

I know by products are not the best choice, but I know some people who can't afford the expensive stuff and I don't think it's bad to feed the cheaper stuff if you can't afford the better stuff. Many people are happy with fancy feast, the pate style or classic style ones and same with friskies. My sister's cat lived 18 years on friskies canned. And her 10 year old cat eats fancy feast with no issues. I have a feral that eats fancy feast too, she loves it. For some reason, and I don't know why, I like friskies and fancy feast better than meow mix and sheba. I don't know why.
If you read the ingredients in Friskies, you'd never buy it again. Corn Gluten, Wheat Gluten, other grains. *shudder* at the very least, Sheba doesn't have any grains in it at all. I've considered the FF pate, as that is often recommended as a less-expensive grocery brand. I do feed high-end brands like Tiki Cat, Evo, Merrick, and Nature's Variety Instinct. I also feed Stella & Chewy's dehydrated raw, Nature's Variety frozen raw, Bravo Raw, and RadCat raw. So this would not at all be their sole diet. It would just be in the wet rotation.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by howsefrau32 View Post
You are right. And if you read Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health, dr. Lisa Pierson even says that maybe by products are not a bad thing, for this reason. It's not the by products so much that concern me, it's more of the coloring and stuff that goes into those foods like Sheba to make it look palatable and like people food that I dn't like.
Yeah, I'm not thrilled about the added coloring. However, it wouldn't (by any means) be a sole diet. It's not THAT bad, is it?
Old 06-25-2013, 11:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I don't like that it says 'meat by products' and 'poultry by products'. What kind of 'meat' and what kind of 'poultry'. That leaves it open for them to use any crap (read roadkill and euthanized pets) that they can stuff into a can.

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
MowMow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Mar
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmow View Post
i don't like that it says 'meat by products' and 'poultry by products'. What kind of 'meat' and what kind of 'poultry'. That leaves it open for them to use any crap (read roadkill and euthanized pets) that they can stuff into a can.
euthanized pets?! That's where the poor dead shelter animals go to? Cat food?! Ddddd:
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement