Is Fish really that bad for cats? - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mercury levels in large fish such as Albacore tuna are of concern. As is the mineral content as most fish based foods use whole ground fish so there's a lot of bone in it.

However I know that Weruva uses a lot Skip Jack tuna which is a smaller fish with a shorter life span so it doesn't build up the mercury levels. In addition, they have a filleting process that eliminates most of the bones. There might be other brands that are similar (maybe Tiki?) but I've never investigated it.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cat

Well I probably wont feed the fish canned foods that often then. I have regular poultry/red meat ones in rotation as well and am continuing the search for good canned foods and keeping an open mind.
Torbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I use both Wellness and Weruva. Weruva is very mindful of the potential of toxicity in higher food chain/larger fish with long life spans. they do filet their fish so the extra phosphorus from ground bone isn't a problem. I have no idea what Wellness does, but for some reason my cats only like the straight chicken or turkey flavors of it. I've tried turkey and salmon and chicken and herring and neither was a big hit.

TikiCat is so much more expensive that I would be surprised if they don't filet theirs as well. I still buy it for splurging occasionally but I could never afford to use it solely.

the addiction plus allergies issues would be the ones i'd have to watch for, but I feed them a lot of different flavors and no one has allergies to it. (so far anyway).
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cat

No reactions so far and she loves the Turkey and Salmon flavor, gobbles it right off the little plate I feed it to her on, then again she's liked the majority of the wet food she's been given so I'm satisfied with that.
Torbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I don't feed Tiki Cat because it's just big hunks of fish, bones and all.

I disliked seeing my cat's food looking at me when I opened the can. eeeeyeaugh.
Jacq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
Cat Addict

haha..I am the direct opposite. I like to see chunks of fish or shredded chicken and if ingredient says there are peas/carrots, I like to see it. I dislike pate, all mashed up, cos I dunno what is really added except to believe what is listed in the ingredient list.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

The issue I have with Tiki Cat is, it looks and smells so good I'm tempted to eat it myself!
Kitty-The-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Yea, we don't have Tiki cat here, but we have fussie cat and I really prefer that smell to those in pate, its makes me nauseous, had to hold my breathe or hold it further away, lol.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacq View Post
I don't feed Tiki Cat because it's just big hunks of fish, bones and all.

I disliked seeing my cat's food looking at me when I opened the can. eeeeyeaugh.
wha??????????? you must have bought the one with sardine filets. now that I think of it, I did buy those once and my cats were kind of like, "yuck. well, it's food, okay, we'll eat it this time." sardines kind of gross me out anyway, but people eat them bones and all. they do with salmon too--I bought a can to put in cat food and all the little vertebrae were in it and I thought it was a mistake. then I saw online that people leave them in and eat them!!! ewwww.

I only buy napili luau. it's chicken mostly and pieces of wild salmon, which is so light you can hardly tell it from the chicken. they also love to eat whatever the plain chicken one is also. it must taste better than the weruva because they act like they want to opt out of the paw lickin' chicken sometimes, but it's a lot more water.

if you eat meat kitty, i'm sure you could eat the tikicat or weruva yourself and it wouldn't hurt you lol. (although i'm not sure it's really cheaper than people food. the tikicat isn't for sure.)
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement