non-adjuvant vaccines? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2013, 12:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default non-adjuvant vaccines?

Based upon another post I asked my vet if they had
non-adjuvant vaccines. I was told that the vet said "there are no available non-adjuvant vaccines".

Is this true? Should I worry about this?
cat owner again is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Is that true?

No, that is NOT fact/true/reality.

Did you actually speak to your Veterinarian, or to one of the staff?

Veterinary staff are not all technically trained; some are administrative 'types', and at times, by necessity, must step over their areas of expertise...but, my expectation would be that, before they do, they refer technical questions to technically-knowledgeable colleagues or ask, etc.

Other Veterinary staff have technical training - usually to varying 'levels' - and, even then, you may get different answers from different staff for many different reasons (they think they know but do not, they stretch their knowledge base and reply because they think they have to or because they believe their answer is 'logical', etc etc)

Now, if that answer came from a DVM.........I'd say "Time to find a competent Veterinarian!"

cat owner again, all feline vaccines come in both adjuvanted and non-adjuvanted forms - and all of those with the single exception of the rabies type, are made by a number of manufacturers. The rabies type - in the non-adjuvanted form, is only manufactured by one company (Merial) and had the brand name PUREVAX. ALL other brands of feline rabies vaccine by ALL other manufacturers ARE ADJUVANTED.

Should you worry?

Well, as I said above, IF that statement came from a real DVM, I'd be concerned enough to look for a competent cat Vet......after I had spoken to that person in-person and clarified/confirmed what had been said - I mean, for a million reasons they may have misunderstood the question.

Meantime, Dr. Pierson's advice to "Never assume" and ALWAYS ASK BEFORE the vaccine is given should keep you worry-free. Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: Vaccines are very important but do carry risks
Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I read the article and will discuss with the vet. I can see why having a rabies shot every 3 years would be convenient and less stressful to the cat. I guess I would like to know the statistics (probably not researched) of some of the adverse affects per number of animals injected. Around here the 3 year rabies shot is used in cats and dogs routinely. Even getting the titer test seemed tentative to be sure that cat is protected. My cats go outside. I just called a "Cat vet" off the internet 30 minutes from me and because my cats are outside they recommended: RCP = every 3 years, Leukemia = 1 year, Rabies = 1 year and they use the Merial Purevax. So I guess this is something I have to discuss with my vet personally. It is not a cat specific vet but they do pride themselves on being "current." Maybe I can enlighten them?
cat owner again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Cat

A few quick replies inside your post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat owner again View Post
I read the article and will discuss with the vet. I can see why having a rabies shot every 3 years would be convenient and less stressful to the cat.

Certainly convenient for the owner by saving time and money - less stressful for the cat? I don't know...maybe in the short term but, dealing with a horrific cancer that could have been avoided, well.......

I guess I would like to know the statistics (probably not researched) of some of the adverse affects per number of animals injected.

There are stats available.......based on either actual adverse reaction reports to the FDA, or "guesstimates" from all kinds of sources.

Here's a site where you might find some (the link isn't the home pahe there, but you'll easily find it) Photographs of Feline Injection-Site Sarcoma (VAS) Surgery | Truth4Pets

I suppose you could also put the stat question to the people in this specialized online group who are struggling with their cats' cancer: Feline_VAS_Support : Vaccine Associated Sarcoma Support Group

Around here the 3 year rabies shot is used in cats and dogs routinely.

It's important to realise that the 'general public' is not aware of any of these concerns.

Even getting the titer test seemed tentative to be sure that cat is protected.

It's also important to know that if your state law requires up-to-date rabies vaccination, there are some states which do not accept titers as a substitution for actual vaccination.

My cats go outside. I just called a "Cat vet" off the internet 30 minutes from me and because my cats are outside they recommended: RCP = every 3 years, Leukemia = 1 year, Rabies = 1 year and they use the Merial Purevax.

I hope the Leukemia vaccine is also by Merial....I'm going to pull out an exerpt from that article and put it underneath here....

So I guess this is something I have to discuss with my vet personally. It is not a cat specific vet but they do pride themselves on being "current."

Well, even cat-only Vets can sometimes do with careful watching....and, "current" is really in the eye of the beholder....and there are as many "currents" as there are "beholders"

Maybe I can enlighten them?

Let us know!
OK, about the Leukemia (FeLV) vaccine....from Dr. Pierson:
Quote:
My suggestions:

Do not vaccinate adult cats for FeLV - even if they have access to the outdoors - since natural immunity to this disease is very strong by the time the cat is ~1 year of age. If an adult cat is going to be living with a FeLV positive cat, then vaccination should be considered.
If you do choose to vaccinate for FeLV, ONLY use the Meriel PureVax FeLV vaccine which is NON-adjuvanted. All other FeLV vaccines are killed and contain adjuvants which should never be injected into any cat.
Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement