Taste of the wild? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Taste of the wild?

So we were feeding my cat well, grocery brand do then I started researching dog food and got my dog on a good diet, then it was the cat's turn! So we switched her to chicken soup and then I researched more and got taste of the wild, my neighbor feeds it to her dogs, and it is reasonably priced. Currently the bag is Rocky Mountain feline formula with roasted venison and smoked salmon. Grain free. All life stages. Well I'm out of cat food and i want to make sure that TOTW is good. She seems to be doing great on it, and she free feeds. Is this the best formula? Is there a better cat food? Well I know there's probably better, but is this one good? Would you recommend it?

My dog eats Canidae and I think they have a cat formula too, is it good?

Last edited by V-paw; 07-25-2013 at 03:41 PM.
V-paw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

I feed Taste of the Wild (the kind in the green bag) to my feral cats. I like that it is grain-free and reasonably priced. The company has had a couple of recalls in the past for salmonella, I believe, so some people are hesitant to use it. There are "better" cat foods but this is a good choice for the cost, and definitely better than anything you'd find in a grocery store.
LadyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Most here will tell you that a raw or wet or raw/wet combo diet are better nutritionally. I am one of the few evildoers who still feeds dry in addition to wet. I give two meals of wet food morning and evening and then leave out 2/3 cup of kibble (for two cats) each day.

I feed the TOTW Rocky mountain, as well as Orijen Cat and Kitten, and Fromm Grain-Free Game Bird. I've chosen these because I tend to put more weight in good ingredients than in really high protein to carb ratio. And also, my cats just really like them.

EVO and Innova both have good protein:carb kibbles, but the facility where these products are made has undergone several recalls, many close together.

One of the pet food experts on here recommended Go! Fit and Free as another good dry option, but unfortunately my local pet food store's distributor didn't have it available.

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat
NebraskaCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I used to feed my kittens TOTW, both flavors. They liked it and had no problems with it. Now they just get wet food. I think they miss the dry hahaha.
JungliBillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

I've heard that wet is good. My cat refuses to eat wet food though! She likes tuna.. But I know tuna alone isn't that great for cats... I've tried multiple tuna based cat foods (wet) and I get them from the grocery store. Is that bad? Where should I get them? And that sounds expensive.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 07-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

High quality grain-free wet food is one of the healthiest options for cats. catinfo.org has good info on converting dry food to wet food diet for stubborn cats. You should check it out.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

Here is a section on Transitioning Dry Food Addicts to Wet Food.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

You don't wanna get your kitty hooked on fish, but you can use it as topping on other flavor wet food to entice his appetite. Once your kitty starts eating wet food, you can get ones that come in bigger 12 oz cans (Wellness, EVO, etc) and buy in bulk. That way, it doesn't end up too expensive.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

Well I also don't think we will ever go full wet... We like free feeding! But I can give her wet food occasionally, maybe 2-3 times a week? Maybe every morning? But it's gonna be hard to convince her.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 07-25-2013, 11:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

If you keep free feeding the dry, I doubt that she'd start eating the wet food. She will just end up eating the dry food!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement