How often should I play with my cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default How often should I play with my cat?

I have set playtime and feeding time for Zoe. I play with her at seven thirty until eight, and then she gets her food, we do this twice a day. Is that enough playtime for kitty? She also does play by herself with a little taped up easter egg full of skittles whenever she wants, and sometimes I play with her at random times too.
Should I play with her more often, or is an hour a day (total) okay for her exercise? My vet said she doesn't get enough on her own, or she has a bad diet, (considering she was getting iams dry kibble I'm guessing it was the the second) and I figure why not manage both possible problems at once. So she gets a can of fancy feast twice a day, and I play with her before feeding her, since she has to have her teeth brushed before meal-time, I figure I'll sandwich the bad with good and play with her, brush her teeth, and then feed her.
Is that enough playtime, or should I play with her more often?

Edit: And yes, I know FF isn't the best food out there, but it's the best I can afford. The next up would be Wellness or Instinct or whatever, which are far too expensive for me, and are too much of a trip to be buying. The vet sells Instinct, but it's WAY too expensive for me to get her instinct food. I can barely feed myself, the cat already gets fed better than I do lol. I buy myself non-name-brand stuff all the time.

Last edited by wolfheartmoon; 08-06-2013 at 05:43 PM.
wolfheartmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I have the same problem with ET, I needed him to exercise cos he does gain weight pretty easily. He doesn't eat alot but he does gain weight easily. So the only way around it is to make him play. I don't force play though, I let him prompt me for play for as many times as he wishes. Since getting the da-bird, he's gotton active, so I don't need to worry about him not prompting for play. He usually play once a day, but of late, he's been asking for more playtime, I try to accommodate.

As for feeding FF, IMO, you don't have to worry about feeding that, just feed within your means. Honestly, I feel your kitty is fortunate enough that she gets a home, gets fed, get playtime and teeth brushed.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I play with my 5 for about an hour every night before I go to bed. I feed them after we play to encourage a feeding routine and because 2 ofmy cats show no interest whatsoever in wet food, and I'm still sort of hoping that playing before feeding will make them hungry enough to eat the wet food on offer. It's not working, but I do think it's good for their self-esteem to feed them after play, so that they can feel like they've hunted for their food.

My cats love playtime though. All 5 start milling around and looking at me expectantly once it gets to be about 10:30 - 11:00 now because they know I'm going to get Da Bird or the Cat Catcher out.

I would love to be able to play with them more, an hour isn't all that long when the time is shared between 5 cats (multiple cats are able to play at once) but I work full time, as well as volunteering and doing other important things like going to the gym and running errands, so by the time I get home it tends to be kind of late. Other people are home all day, and they do certain cat related chores and activities, but I'm the only one who plays with them on a daily basis.

dt8thd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

11:00 to midnight is "Da Bird" time. Hahahaha. He loooves it.
jentoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jentoly View Post
11:00 to midnight is "Da Bird" time. Hahahaha. He loooves it.
And this is exactly why my poor kitty doesn't get her special bells or anything at night. She's got a couple stuffed toys she's allowed at night, but if I left her bells down I wouldn't sleep a wink!
Old 08-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Actually. Nobody would. Because she takes her little bell balls and throws them down the stairs, chases them, brings them back up, and repeats.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfheartmoon View Post
Actually. Nobody would. Because she takes her little bell balls and throws them down the stairs, chases them, brings them back up, and repeats.
Handy during the day though! I would love it if my cats would amuse themselves more often. I'm so exhausted in the evenings, it would be nice to not feel so guilty about going to bed on time because the cats haven't had adequate playtime.

dt8thd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Certainly good for her. I know as long as she has either a jingly ball or her tinsel balls that she'll entertain herself just fine.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App