RIPPED Out Toe Nail! - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Catface,
What a horrible thing to happen to Sadie...I hope she recovered from All of that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Our STripey-cat just yanked out a hind toe-nail about 5 months ago. I was horrified ...and the BLOOD! He didn't seem to be limping and he was licking it to keep it clean.
My motto is wait a week unless things are rapidly progressing poorly. The bleeding stopped within the hour, he never limped and it took 3 months, but the toenail did finally grow back.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarychick View Post
You could buy some colloidial (sp?) silver spray and spray the wound when you see kitty? It's a natural healer/disinfectant, ect. I know it does a great job discouraging infections.

Muffin gets cold sores (yay herpes *eye roll*) and I spray them with the silver. He hates it, but they heal waaay faster when I spray them, Like, 2-3 days vs weeks!
Thank you Librarychick!
I've seen enough people swear by the colloidial silver that I was planning on getting some for my cats first aid kit...
I'll be getting some sooner now, rather than later!
Makes me feel better with your seal of approval to!
Do I use it straight as it comes or do I need to dilute it??
Thank you!
Old 09-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7cats2dogs View Post
Catface,
What a horrible thing to happen to Sadie...I hope she recovered from All of that...
She has, and she's back to being my little "Woo" (which I am hugely thankful for) but she is definitely the wiser for whatever it was that happened.
It's been almost 2 months now, she stays closer to home and plays with Belle more now, who has always stayed very close to home anyway.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cat Addict

ow ow ow ow ow. I was just playing with a new lure on da bird, and Houdini got his claw caught in it and I though it would never get it back. when I did, it's mangled lol. I had to put it away until I feel like messing with it because the little wire thing is all misshapen. I need needle nose pliers but I think i'll do the best I can with some tweezers.

seven cats, use it straight. they make wound care supplies that are all impregnated with silver (they're dry though and might stick) so as to be antimicrobial.

there's an ointment called Silvasorb© and it's gel, not petroleum jelly but also has silver to manage bacterial load. I always have some around. you only need a tiny bit.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrilla1 View Post
Yeah, Dallas would rip off the entire toenail. That cat...has problems. They are now looking at some sort of feline OCD or anxiety problem rather than actual skin allergies. He is almost bald everywhere that he can reach to lick, he has been for over a year.
This is so sad...To think a cat would self mutilate...(gives me the shivers) poor baby!
I've seen people bite their nails till they're bleeding...oh oww.
How old is Dallas?
Old 09-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7cats2dogs View Post
This is so sad...To think a cat would self mutilate...(gives me the shivers) poor baby!
I've seen people bite their nails till they're bleeding...oh oww.
How old is Dallas?
Well, he is an adult, but he isn't an old kitty yet. Maybe 7? I never even met him before my uncle moved in with my grandmother two years ago. The problems started soon after that, so now they are thinking that it could have had something to do with the stress of the move starting it. They are now trying kitty prozac. (no idea what the actual name of the meds is)

Last edited by Andrilla1; 09-04-2013 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Quote code was screwy
Old 09-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Thank You Everyone for your ideas and suggestions and your similar experiences! !
Very Much Appreciated!
I feel better now with it all!
Sharon
Old 09-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrilla1 View Post
My uncle's cat has ripped toenails off before. He sits there and chews/pulls them off. (They think it is related to his larger skin problems, since he will also lick himself bald. They are hoping that it will stop once they get the skin issues figured out.) He'll even get to the point where it is bleeding. It scared me to death the first time I saw blood on that white paw! Vet has said that, as long as it isn't infected, and it doesn't seem to be causing him pain, just keep an eye on it. I'd certainly keep a close eye on it though.
Andrilla1, Are you talking about the outer sheath? It looks like a complete toenail, but is hollow. My cats chew theirs off too. The original poster is talking about losing the entire toenail down until there is blood, I think.

As to licking themselves, have they considered food allergies or nerves? Switching to a grain free diet can help, or if it's nerves there is Homeopet for Anxiety, Calms Forte, and other calming products that work.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
Andrilla1, Are you talking about the outer sheath? It looks like a complete toenail, but is hollow. My cats chew theirs off too. The original poster is talking about losing the entire toenail down until there is blood, I think.

As to licking themselves, have they considered food allergies or nerves? Switching to a grain free diet can help, or if it's nerves there is Homeopet for Anxiety, Calms Forte, and other calming products that work.
Marcia, I am indeed talking about the whole nail...it couldn't look any more brutal than if someone used pliers to yank it off
It's Raw! That's why I'm concerned about infection especially at her age (13yrs)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread