RIPPED Out Toe Nail! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default RIPPED Out Toe Nail!

I'm Cat sitting for my neighbors...
They have a very sweet 13yr. old cat...
I was trimming Calli's nails and found she had ripped out a hind claw! I have contacted the owners and do have consent to take her to the Vet if I see signs of infection...
They're allergic to her, so she spends most of her time in the garage or outside...
Is there anything specific I could use on her Nail/Foot right now to help it??
It looks Very Painful...
Thanks Guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Awwww how sad...they have no contact with her, but with that...how sweet for them to care for her. I don't know about the nail thing?? Is it bleeding? Maybe call the vet and ask?? That's what I would do

(Gizmo) (LOVES) (Marshall)
Old 09-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It is quite painful, I'm sure. I would just keep it clean and watch for infection. I don't think there is much a vet can do for it, do you?

A neighbor's cat used to hang out on our back deck. One day there were drops of blood here and there and I noticed that Pretty Boy had a claw ripped out. I told the neighbors, but I don't think they did anything for the poor cat. He was hit by a car and killed not long after that (some days later) and I have often wondered if the missing claw was the problem (distraction, etc.?).
Old 09-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

When I noticed one of my girls had a nail missing, I took her to the vet. I think she gave her antibiotics and said to watch for infection. She also said most people don't bring them in unless it does get infected.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
Old 09-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

My uncle's cat has ripped toenails off before. He sits there and chews/pulls them off. (They think it is related to his larger skin problems, since he will also lick himself bald. They are hoping that it will stop once they get the skin issues figured out.) He'll even get to the point where it is bleeding. It scared me to death the first time I saw blood on that white paw! Vet has said that, as long as it isn't infected, and it doesn't seem to be causing him pain, just keep an eye on it. I'd certainly keep a close eye on it though.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Thanks!
Gizmothecat: Thanks for your concern!
I do feel sorry for this little girl and spoil her rotten, every chance I get!

Marcia: Thanks! Believe me, I'm definitely keeping an eye on it! If I thought my 'Clan' could accept one more...sigh...

Marie: I was in immediate contact with her owners and do have their consent to take her to the Vet, if I see signs of infection...
So she can get some antibiotics...
Which at least, makes feel better...

When I last took care of Calli, I bought her a little cuddle bed, she loves it...
Old 09-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Thanks Andrilla! When I say Ripped out, I mean ripped out...Calli must of caught it in something, there's nothing there! I've already cleaned it, I wanted to see what kind of damage I was dealing with...
I've dealt with torn nails and split nails, but not a completely ripped out one...
It looks very raw and painful.
She's such a sweet old girl to...
Old 09-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Yeah, Dallas would rip off the entire toenail. That cat...has problems. They are now looking at some sort of feline OCD or anxiety problem rather than actual skin allergies. He is almost bald everywhere that he can reach to lick, he has been for over a year.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

This past spring Sadie was caught in a confrontation with a dog. I freaked when I noticed the clumps of missing fur, black brush marks on her white fur and the blood.
We went to the emergency vet because she was limping really bad, I was thinking she had a fracture.
When the vet checked her over she said there was no fracture, but what she had discovered was puncture wounds right over her shoulder. A big bite, too big for another cat.
She also discovered on her hind feet that most all of her claws had been ripped out or worn down to the quick, hence the blood.

She started her off with a shot of pain medication and antibiotic in her office and she was given pain medication for a couple days and a course of antibiotics.

The poor girl had a very hard time trying to walk the next day as we all suspected she would. Day by day she got a little better. I'd say it took her a good week to get to where she had only a tiny limp and was jumping up and down on furniture with no issues.

There was nothing the vet could do for Sadie's claws on a superficial level, just the pain medication and antibiotics.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

You could buy some colloidial (sp?) silver spray and spray the wound when you see kitty? It's a natural healer/disinfectant, ect. I know it does a great job discouraging infections.

Muffin gets cold sores (yay herpes *eye roll*) and I spray them with the silver. He hates it, but they heal waaay faster when I spray them, Like, 2-3 days vs weeks!

Becky and the cats: Jitzu (9), Torri (6), Doran (5), and Muffin (5)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread