New Kittens!! Cerebellar Hypoplasia? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

New Kittens!! Cerebellar Hypoplasia?

So I've decided to take a jump and adopt a pair of kittens from a local rescue.
I want siblings, and preferably a male/female pair.

Now 2 of the kittens I'm looking at are 12 weeks old, they are extremely sweet. They were rescued from a really bad situation along with their mom and siblings.

They both have cerebellar hypoplasia, the male is more severe than the female, and he also has a broken tail.
I have never had a kitten with this condition, let alone two, but they are just so sweet and loving that I believe they deserve a chance!

Are there any special considerations I should make for these two?

I did have a kitten who was born without his tibia and fibula in both hind legs, but I only fostered him for a month before he was adopted. So I do have some experience with disabled cats but not all that much...

I haven't yet decided 100% if these are the 2 kittens that I want, but I sat with them for an hour yesterday and I fell in love. So I'd say I'm about 99.9% sure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 12:00 PM
Tom Cat

I know that feeling! I don't know why but those special kitties always end up walking off with the biggest part of your heart.

The biggest thing to remember is that they are not hurt or sick, just different. They have the same life expectancy as any other cat, and since the condition doesn't get worse, they will only get better as they learn to "work around it".
The good thing is that they don't know they have it, so they will learn to do things in a way that works for them.
Here is a link to some really good tips that may help you.

CH Topics & Tips | Life with Cerebellar Hypoplasia Cats
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

They definitely seem extremely happy, and they don't let their issues stop them. According to the rescue owner, the female has improved a lot since she first arrived, she's gotten used to her condition and gets around really well. She even jumped off of my shoulder onto the ground (she faceplanted.. but at least she wasn't afraid). She's very bold, and outgoing, and SO friendly.
The boy has a harder time, I think because of the broken tail, it's broken right at the base, so he has an even harder time balancing. He falls over a lot but doesn't seem to care at all. He is calm and quiet and loving, he gives kisses all the time.

They're just happy, healthy babies and I think they will be a great addition to my little family. Their personalities are different, but they get along extremely well which I love.

Last edited by marie73; 08-19-2014 at 11:09 PM.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 02:13 PM
Premier Cat

I have no experience with ch but I just want to say thank you for considering giving these babies a loving home. They sound awfully sweet and I just can't help but think they will be a blessing to you.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I attached a picture of them, it isn't very good but you can clearly see the little guy's broken tail.

I decided to adopt them, they are getting fixed on Friday and then I can take them home.

I've decided to name the female Aurora (Rory for short) and the male I'd like to name Zack but I'm not sure it suits him yet haha.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140817_112411[1].jpg
Views:	141
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	68297  

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 02:41 PM
Banned

Bless you for adopting these sweet babies - the special ones are so much harder to place, and not only did you take one, you took two!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

The rescue owner said she was very close to having them euthanized until the little girl kissed her nose, and then she just couldn't bring herself to do it. She said they would have become mascots for the shelter because she didn't think they would be adopted, but I am SO happy that I get to bring these babies home and let them live their lives with a loving family.

I will get more photos once I have them home, there were SO many kittens at the shelter I couldn't even focus enough to get photos on these 2 hahaha.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 03:18 PM
Premier Cat

Kayepaye,
I Absolutely agree with Heather!
Blessings to you and these Very Special Sweet babies!!
If Zack (?) Seems to be having balance issues, due to his tail...
I'm wondering if surgery, to "Bob" it at the break, wouldn't help with that...
Since cats do use their tails as rudders, to an extent, when running, jumping, etc.
If he has NO control over his tail, that could account for the balance issues, for example, he wants to "Zig" but his tail "Zags"...throws off his natural balance...
Looking at the picture, he looks like he'd be a very good candidate for tail surgery, and he'd still have a very cute little short tail left and if he is anything like my Biscuit, that little stump is held straight up like an exclamation mark!!
It's only a thought, I figured I'd throw out there...

And like Dumine said, whatever degree they're at right now, is the degree it will stay at.
They will only get better as they learn how to work around everything!!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 03:32 PM
Premier Cat

Awww, do it!! I had to look it up to see exactly what this was and I read part of the Wikipedia description of the ailment. I think if you are 99.9% sure you should take the plunge, save those little loves and be rewarded with the knowledge that 99.9% of people would overlook kittens with this condition! They can lead wonderful, full lives with love and some simple considerations.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

That's actually a really good idea, I'm going to call the rescue owner and see if she can discuss that with the vet when he has his neuter done, then he can get both surgeries done at once.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page