Cat Forum banner

Bringing cats overseas

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  MsPepper 
#1 ·
So my parents dropped a huge bombshell on me this evening. They want to sent me the United States to further pursue my education. I don't know how to process all this, but I've made one thing clear; I'm keeping Molly and I'm not leaving her behind. I haven't seen her months, since I'm still working things out with my University in another city and she's already 50% paid for. I just don't want to have to compromise my cat. Has anybody ever brought their cat with them overseas? I know the list of requirements from my end, but I was wondering what the requirements were on the other end, like the entry requirements of the United States.

#2 ·
It really depends which state you're going to. Hope it's not Hawaii, they have to be put in quarantined for maybe 5 days if you've got everything in order. If not, your kitten will be quarantined for 4 months! I've lived there before, I know the horrors pet owners used to have about it, it was worse before, having a mandatory quarantine of 3-4 months, I think. However, it's to protect their delicate ecosystem and prevent spread of diseases found elsewhere, so not much you can do about that.

Cats | Bringing an Animal into U.S. | Importation | CDC

You should also look into which airline carrier you're traveling on, some airlines will not allow pets that do not meet their requirements either.

#4 ·
It's not difficult. Your pet has to be up to date with shots (rabies has to be at least 30 days old) and you net a paper from the vet that can't be older than 10 days on the day of arrival in the US. you also have to pay for the ticket (make sure you book the ticket in advance for your pet) and you will also pay a fee when you pick your pet up. (That's how it was when we shipped out dog and cat from Germany to the US back in 2002)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.