Please Help: Ringworm on ears... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Please Help: Ringworm on ears...

Hi everyone,

About 2 weeks ago, I gave Snowy a bath. After the bath, I noticed that his ears were covered in brown flakes. He had a small scratch wound behind his ears a few days so I thought maybe it was a small infection. However, after a few days, the flakes are still there. So I took him to see my vet. As it turned out, my vet said it is some of ringworm infection. She shaved the back of ears and I didn't realize it had spread so much!

She gave him an injection, ear drops to be used twice daily for 10 days (Virbac DEXORYL Ear Drops Oily Suspension…this helped to clear up his yeast infection last month), and an Antifungal Gel to be used daily for 14 days until my next visit.

She did mention that it takes a long time for ringworm to be cured, but it is day 11 now and even though the back of his ears has improved greatly, the area in his outer ear lobe is still covered with brown flakes. Is this normal? I am taking him back to see the vet on Wednesday. Below are photos of his ears taken just now.

As long as I continue to apply the gel, will it really clear up eventually? Or is there anything else I can do to help the poor thing? He has been wearing the e-collar everyday and even though he seems to be getting used to it now…he just seems so miserable every time I put it on him

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Oh, and I also want to add that his appetite, pee and poop are all normal.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 07:38 AM
Premier Cat

Keep up with the cream and I would even give him a dip in a lyme sulfer solution once a week. It will take 4-6 weeks for this to clear up. I am a ring worm queen after fostering 7 babies recently with ring worm!! The cream goes on AT LEAST 2 times a day and the lyme sulfer dip (which you can buy) is done once a week. For adult cats, it is a 2 person job so get help. One to hold him, one to get the solution all over his body.

Just mix the solution in a large bucket with warm water and dip the cat in it - getting every part of his body wet. Use a sponge to get his ears wet and face wet being careful not to get it in his eyes.

Dipping is important because ringworm is a fungus spore and can migrate to his extremities like tail and paws so keep a close eye on those too. It likes the cooler skin in those areas. Ringworm is common in outdoor cats so consider doing this once a month as a preventative maintenance if you allow your cat to go outside.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"

Last edited by Marcia; 02-20-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 07:39 AM
Premier Cat

These are available from Amazon and the dip is GREAT. The shampoo is OK.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lyme Sulfer Dip.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	101690

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ring worm shampoo.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	101698

post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 08:07 AM
Senior Cat

our violet kitten came with ringworm and passed it to the other two kittens, it just takes some time to heal.. you have to keep up with the treatments..the dip is about the best treatment option..

yeti cat: two toes short of the record books
eons ago there must had been a creature with a roar
like a vacuum cleaner, it most likely ate cats.
smokey,yeti, pansy, violet, ember and brullie
jolene, tammi and emma the ghost kitties in the house
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Hi Marcia,

Thank you so much for replying. So my current progress is considered normal? I just wanna make sure I am at least moving in the right direction.

I don't think they sell the dip in my country but I will try to get my hands on it asap, even if I have to get Amazon to ship it to me internationally. I think it will take at least about a week or two though...will it be too late to dip him then?

Also, after I had dip him and use a sponge to get the solution on his ears and face, do I rinse him with warm water or just let the solution dry off itself? And do I need to use a hair dryer to dry him off? I live in a humid and warm climate and it is the rainy season now...so even my vet says that it is a common time for ringworms to develop on pets

Last edited by marie73; 02-26-2016 at 12:18 PM.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 12:47 PM
Premier Cat

My cats have just got rid of their ringworm with an antifungal clotrimazole cream called Clotrimaderm. I also used an antifungal shampoo weekly, but didn't have to resort to the lime sulphur dip. Of equal importance to using the cream twice a day, is to keep the environment very clean. Get a hospital-grade antifungal cleaner to swab the floors often, and wipe down anything the cat may come in contact with.....furniture, chairs, tables, cat carrier. I covered all my upholstered furniture with sheets but washed them every few days. Also only wear clean laundered clothes once, and wash the cat bedding (blanket/towel) in water with some bleach. You have to keep this cleaning regimen up for several months (I was told 5 mos.) after the cat no longer has any ringworm lesions, to eliminate it from the environment, as the spores from lesions are very light and easily airborne and can re-infect a cat or person (especially if their immunity is down) months or even a year later. It's a nasty thing to deal with, and I've never done so much laundry in my life! Good luck!

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Ok. I just read the instructions on the back of the bottle at Amazon.

It says that you have to bath your cat first before using the dip?

Also the image of the bottle shown above is the 4 oz bottle...so that is only good for one use? Should I get the 16 oz bottle then?
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Sorry I keep posting new posts but I cannot find the edit button anywhere...
The brand that Marcia recommended above is indeed not available in my country...and when I try to buy the 16 oz bottle from Amazon, the shipping cost is like 50 dollars!!!

I tried searching for other brands of lime sulfur dips that is available in my country and I found one. Is this one ok? I really cannot afford to pay such high shipping costs

post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 03:09 PM
Premier Cat

You will want to shampoo her with any shampoo to get the natural oils off his coat - usually shampoo then dip in the lyme sulfer dip. NO, YOU DO NOT RINSE! The dip solution needs to dry naturally on them - it will turn them orange but will dry clear. He will have a slightly cinder (burnt wood) smell afterwards. Use a collar so they don't lick at it too, although I found the cats take a few licks then stop. It is a very nasty process but necessary (wear gloves and an apron as this stuff stains terribly. And, no, it's not too late at all. It's effective and works pretty quickly killing the spores. You will see progress when the hair starts growing back but keep up with the cream on the bald spots.

Once dipped, I put them in a carrier to dry so they don't track it all over the house. You could put a low hair dryer on them in the carrier to keep them warm. It will take several hours for it to dry.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page