Crusty Ear on Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Post Crusty Ear on Cat

A couple weeks ago I found a little scab on my cats ear that was small and had some liquid coming from it. At the end of the week it was covering more of his ear and he was licking his back end for 45 minutes and we took him to the Vet. He also has some spots on his back end that have scabbed and has hair loss around those spots. The vet could not figure out what it was allergies or a skin infections. They gave him an antibiotic shot and a steroid shot. we have to wash his ear every couple of days. Went back a week later he still was having crusty ear and they did the black light test to see if it is ringworm and nothing glowed. Gave him more antibiotics and said we are going down the right path just don't know what it is. Wanted us to come back in 2 weeks if he was getting worse, so they could test if it was fungal.

my other cat is fine no issues at all the only thing he gets that she doesn't is friskies party mix cat treats

anybody else deal with this or have heard of anything like it??

He has me worried.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Attachments_2016510(1).zip (70.1 KB, 303 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1462929287451.jpg
Views:	1536
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	104794  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1462929305906.jpg
Views:	1173
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	104802  

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 01:03 AM
Premier Cat

Oh wow, that can't be fun. A couple of members have had kitties with crusting or scabbing on the ears, but I don't remember the cause - it may have been a fungal infection.

I've never seen this kind of reaction from a food allergy, but I would definitely cut out those treats in case it has an ingredient that he's allergic to.

Is there anything else he could be allergic to? Did you start using a new household cleaning product or detergent, for example? Several years ago, my cat licked off the hair at the base of her tail. The vet thought it might be a food allergy, but it turned out that she was allergic to the carpet deodorizer that I had started using, a powder that you sprinkled onto the carpet then vacuumed up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 03:21 AM
Cool Cat

Does your kitty go outside at all? It could be sun damage/the beginnings of skin cancer, though usually that happens only in white/light-colored cats.

How are you washing it? Water/soap? You could try a topical cleanser like Vetericyn Plus All Animal Wound & Skin Care -

Try using something like that, every day, with warm water and a washcloth. Try to break up the scabs and see what the skin looks like underneath.

Otherwise ... if you're not seeing any improvements within a few days, I'd take him to the vet's sooner rather than wait two weeks. Ask for a biopsy. Good luck :{

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

It really annoys me when a vet doesn't diagnose the problem and just throws medications at it hoping something will work. You've given this vet two shots and still don't have any idea what is going on. I'd find a different vet, probably a veterinary dermatologist, and get an actual diagnosis.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 08:08 AM
Cat

My moms white cat (outdoor/indoor) had crusty ears, if I remember it correctly, and it was cancer unfortunately.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 08:12 AM
Cat

what about ringworms?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Both of our cats are indoor cats. They only go out on the balcony. The only thing I have changed was our cat litter was fresh step multi cat and they added febreze to it. So I went and bought unscented. I have stopped with the treats. From the first vet visit to the second visit a week later he lost a lb he was 14lbs and now down to 13. He's a big Tabby. I talked to my boyfriend we have already decided we are not taking him back to this vet again. I have found 2 dermatologist vets 15-20 minutes away from us. It's very frustrating to not be able to help him.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 03:42 PM
Cool Cat

The weight loss is worrying. Is he eating less? It's possible that his ears are bothering him and putting him off his appetite, but any weight loss in a cat is worrying. How old is your kitty?

When you take him to the new vet, be sure to mention the weight loss. Ask the vet what your cats optimum weight should be, and if the vet seems concerned about the weight loss, maybe have some bloodwork done as well.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

He just turned 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page