FeLV+ - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

FeLV+

My wife and I have fostered a FeLV+ cat from the local shelter. Together with a couple we know who just lost a cat to leukemia we are sponsoring the fostered cat (Benjamin) for T-Cyte treatment. For those who may not know, T-Cyte is a fairly recently developed drug used to treat various viral auto-immune diseases such as FeLV and FIV. It has had some beneficial effect (up to a complete cure) if the cat can begin treatment while still a "carrier", before the onset of cancer.
It is my intention to periodically post the progress of Benjamin as we all go through the treatment.

Last edited by marie73; 11-09-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 08:42 AM
Cool Cat

Thanks for your post. I lost 2 cats to Feline Leuk and will be interested to read about this treatment. Mine were before the testing could even be done "in house" at the vet's office and had to be sent away! I'd never heard of the disease and was shocked.

I'd like to see a picture of Benjamin and know more about him, how old he is and all that cat intro stuff. Are you currently fostering Benjamin - your post is unclear to me.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Benjamin is a short-hair, grey (mostly) neutered male about 3 years old. He was rescued from a garage by the local rescue group. He is a stray. Don't know how long he may have been out. He was in the shelter for about 3 months and was about to be sent off to the "farm" when this all came together.
Yes we have fostered him. 4 days now. He's a good cat with no bad habits that we've seen. Lonely.
He is quarantined in a room that we have had setup for medical quarantine. It's very nice if I do say. We are careful, but not OCD about keeping him, food, litter, etc separate from our other 3 house cats.
We have had a complete blood panel done and are meeting with his vet tomorrow afternoon for an initial evaluation to determine whether or not he is a candidate for T-Cyte treatment, i.e. Still just a carrier of the virus, and then to set up a treatment schedule.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 08:47 PM
Cool Cat

All I can say is "Y'all are good people". Thanks for being there for Benjamin. Hope he makes it into the treatment program and does very well. I will follow this thread.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Treatment update

Today was Benjamin's second treatment and 3rd trip to the vet. He's no fan of car rides! The vet is ok, but the ride? Not so much. He received his first T-Cyte injection about 3 weeks ago and got a full blood panel. The disease markers were all good indicating the leukemia hasn't gone symptomatic. His general health indicators were scattered, but not too surprising given his recent history.
He eats strangely, not what I would have thought for a shelter cat. But whatever. He seemed to be eating well enough.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Treatment update continued

Benjamin was brought in last week for the 2nd injection, but his red blood cell markers from the days blood panel showed that he was very anemic and the T-Cyte injection couldn't be administered. This was in spite of a weight gain of about a pound over two weeks. During the discussion, we mentioned that Benjamin ate (nibbled more like it) his kitty litter. Gross in any event, but as it turned out an indicator of something lacking in his regular diet. Duh! On the Vets advice we got some beef liver from a local butcher shop and changed his litter from a clay to a corn-cob based product.
Big difference. Over the next week he has eaten a little over a pound of liver. Yuk! Appetite improved. Looks and acts much better. So when we brought him in today he had gained another half pound and his red blood cell indicators, while still low, are improving. Enough so that he received his second T-Cyte injection.
So far, so good.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 10:07 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyle View Post
....On the Vets advice we got some beef liver.........Over the next week he has eaten a little over a pound of liver
Yikes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is an extraordinary amount of liver.....and, that's concerning.

Liver has a high concentration of Vitamin A.....over-consumption of liver can cause Vi8tamin A toxicity !

Some references for you:

If you're not a member of the FelineLeukemia.org online community, I would really recommend that you check them out and see if you think membership (free) could benefit you and Benjamin. This is the original online FeLV caregiver community and they've been active since the late 90's......it's really the foremost place for the management of FeLV+ kitties.

You'll find them here: Felvtalk Info Page This is their website: Welcome to the Feline Leukemia ( FeLV ) www.felineleukemia.org Support Website

I was going to suggest that group to you when I first saw your thread...now I'm regretting not having done so. Had you shared the liver idea with those folks, I sense you would have received this caution sooner.

I lost a most precious and cherished cat to FeLV in '04. At the time I knew nothing about online feline health resources...it was just three years later, when the North American perfood poisonings occurred, that I 'got online' and discovered the information resources that had been there all along - and, which would have prevented that cat's premature death. If only I had known about that online group........

Thank you for posting your experiences with Benjamin....I do hope you will take on some mentoring during this journey.

Last edited by marie73; 11-04-2016 at 12:16 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks Stryker

I did not know about the Felv support site. Thanks.
I have joined.
I did not know about Vit A toxicity from too much liver. Thanks.
I will have a talk with the vet tomorrow. Benjamin is getting full? Blood work weekly and I believe that the vet considered his very low red blood cell indicators the overriding issue in the short term. We asked specifically if there was such a thing as too much raw liver and the reply was no, but the vet may have been considering the large liver intake as a short term thing. In any case we will press the issue. We have freeze dried liver as well which is not supposed to be as bad in regards to Vit A.
I am grateful for any advice offered. I can sort it out once something is brought to my attention. And that's the problem. I live in fear that once having undertaken the responsibility for Benjamin's treatment, that I will do/not do something that I should not have/have done.
I was not aware of the many treatment options available. Thanks.
More research to be done on my part.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Treatment update (3rd visit)

Just returned from vet for Benjamin's 3rd T-Cyte injection. He's doing well. Blood panel results for disease indicators ( wbc run) are near normal. I.e. no leukemia symptoms. The roc run is mixed. The rbc/hct/hgb are still very low. The rbc in particular has been below 4 for the past month. In that regard Stryker, if you are listening, we discussed with the vet. Basically, while acknowledging a risk of Vit A tox, it was felt that it was much more important to get the rbc up at this point. Continuing with the herbal supplement and interferon as well. So far, so good.

Last edited by lyle; 11-09-2016 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 09:08 PM
Cool Cat

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Best wishes for continued improvement. Hope all that liver does what it needs to do for his rbc, although how to maintain that on a normal diet I do not know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page