Food Advice for Chicken/Turkey/Possibly Beef Allergy - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Food Advice for Chicken/Turkey/Possibly Beef Allergy

Hello!

I'm hoping I can get some advice/food options for my kitty Lancelot who is showing signs of having at LEAST a chicken allergy, at MOST a chicken/turkey/beef allergy.

Backstory: Since I got him 5yrs ago, he's had episodes where every few months he'd throw up and couldn't stop. After various tests (including biopsies which turned up false for any issues), a vet recommended that he may have a food allergy. I haven't fed him chicken since June, and he hasn't had ONE flare-up since March! He also seems to do better when he isn't being fed turkey or beef, but I don't know for sure if he'd be allergic to them or if he's just being a lazy bum.

I do plan on getting an allergy test done to determine his problem for sure, but until then I'm having a SUPER hard time finding any cat foods that don't have these 3 ingredients. Duck dinner! Has turkey liver. Lamb food! Has chicken.

I've found a dry kibble from Acana which he LOVES, but I'd rather feed him canned or raw. He grudgingly eats Primal Raw Pork in bits and pieces right now. I've been having the most luck with Duck and Lamb, I have yet to find a rabbit or venison he'll eat. Due to his pickiness I haven't been able to put him on a 100% 'novel protein' diet.

He'll eat any kind of fish food I give him, but from what I've read feeding a cat just fish all the time isn't a good idea?

**Note: I've seen a lot of raw dog foods that are a single protein (ex. Instinct Raw), much more than cat food. If I added a taurine supplement to these, could kitty eat them as long as they're basically meat/bone/organs? There's a local store which sells unispecies meat patties, and the only difference is that kitties need the taurine mixed in.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 12:46 PM
Kitten

Protein based allergies are difficult to deal with for sure. I would try to narrow down a bit more to start with. Alot of canned meats have nitrites or nitrates that actually cause the issues.
Additionally, fish can indeed cause issues, but usually that is because people give just the fish. I had a friend who used to feed his cat nothing but canned tuna and her vet diagnosed her boy with worms, digestive, and circulatory issues because of it. To make it worse, her tabby was so used to tuna and mackerel that it took her months and dramatic weight loss to get him to eat anything else.
Fillers are also something else to consider. When my old girl was in her last days I found that celery was actually the best filler for her. Easily digestible when diced and cooked thoroughly. Corn and rice were both causing bowel issues and I am sure part of that was a result of the higher sugar content.
Keep us up to date on your progress as I know it will help many others in the future as well.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 04:03 PM
Premier Cat

ZiwiPeak makes a lot of novel proteins that don't have chicken, etc. The only reason I wouldn't call them single-protein foods is that I think all of them have green-lipped mussel (which I think is good for arthritis). Here's the ingredient list for the lamb: https://www.chewy.com/ziwipeak-daily...-lamb/dp/34568

I think all Hound & Gatos foods are single protein too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 04:07 PM
Premier Cat

I forgot Nature's Variety. Their rabbit has pork in it, but no chicken/turkey/beef. They have a LID rabbit too. And Evanger's.

I hope you find something Lancelot likes!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 04:53 PM
Premier Cat

If you're looking at raw the rules are a bit different.

Taurine 'lives' in dark meats, the darker the meat looks the more taurine it has. So muscles meats like heart and tongue, as well as darker proteins like beef have more. However, grinding breaks down taurine.

Rather than supplement my cats with powdered taurine, I just make a point to feed them chunks of dark meats one a week. Usually heart currently.

This has worked well for me, all 4 cats get a clear bill of health each time we're at the vet, and this diet has also helped Doran grow out of a grade 3 heart murmur he had a a kitten. So, for me it's a win.

Often pets with allergies to processed food can handle the same kind of meat when it's raw and unprocessed. I experienced this with Jitzu when we first switched to raw. After 8 years on raw she's developed some sensitivities again, but she's also quite a bit older and we had a good stretch where she had no issues or very few issues.

JMO.

Becky and the cats: Jitzu (11), Torri (9), Doran (8 ), and Muffin (8 )
The boys at 8 - not lol
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks so much everyone! Saying this is frustrating would be an understatement I found a local pet store which is ordering me in a case of NV Instinct L.I. Lamb and Duck for me this week, so I'm crossing my fingers that the little furball will eat at least one of them. I'm also going to look in to more raws and try to feed him an organ meat (thanks LibrarbyChick!). Even if I can get him eating raw while I'm home and leaving out a good-quality canned I'd be happy. He could still get his kibble treat to keep him happy.

Maybe along the line he might enjoy rabbit again, for the time being he still won't go near it. Picky boy -_- I'm amazed at the number of foods that have chicken in them, considering it's the #1 food allergen for cats! The gal at the pet store was blown away, too. I'll keep you updated on Lance's progress!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 01:55 PM
Premier Cat

Definitely keeping fingers crossed for you and your picky eater. I've been trying to get Celia off fish for ages. The only wet food (out of about 50 - no exaggeration) she'd eat is Dave's chicken & tuna, but I tried the beef and she liked it. Since she gobbled up several cans over the past couple of months, I bought a case. And...she decided she didn't like it anymore. 21 cans sitting here.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 04:59 PM
Premier Cat

Lol, the best thing I've found for picky eaters is a rotation of foods to keep things fresh and interesting.

My raw fed kitties get each of these at least once a month (in order of frequency, roughly):

pork (a variety of ground, chunks, riblets, and tongue)
turkey (ground and gizzards or necks)
duck (ground)
chicken (ground and necks)
beef chunks (except Jitzu who now gets canned food on 'dark meat' night)
Cornish game hens

Occasional foods (once a month of less):
fish (fresh water whitefish)
alpaca/llama
goat
lamb
game meats (elk, moose, deer)

and Quail for birthdays and dinner. Except Jitzu who gets wild salmon on her birthday They also get trout occasionally, when SO and I eat trout they get the heads and tails.

The boys at 8 - not lol
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Little Update: Kitty continues to drop foods from his appetite. I tried some LI Merrick duck and he won't go near it. Cancelled the NV food order, and have instead pushed his allergy test to next week. He's still eating kibble and fish wet, not ideal, but he won't starve. Let's find out what he's actually allergic to and go from there, I'm tired of wasting food on this.

I'm trying to get him to eat grain-free, raw, good-for-him foods, and he wants Friskies *rollseyes*
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 05:00 PM
Premier Cat

Allergies aren't the same as 'not eating it'.

Friskies and other cheap food are like McDonalds for kitties - delicious, and not good for them.

If you really want to switch throw out all but a tiny plastic baggie of the kibble. Buy what you want him to eat, and start mixing it into the canned food he likes. Start with 75% of his preferred flavor of canned, and 25% of the raw food mixed in.

Cats have this interesting instinct where if they haven't been introduced to something in their first year of life it's put in a mental 'not food' category. You need to get him to try it, in a way that he'll eat it. Once he gets the taste and understands it's food things may change. It can take a long time though.

How to Transition Your Cat to a Raw Meat Diet - Feline Nutrition
Practical Guide

The boys at 8 - not lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page