Does he have a blockage? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Does he have a blockage?

Its been a while and I feel like I only come here when somethings wrong

This time its Panther. Today my partner noticed Panther squatting on the dirty clothes pile in the ensuite. He picked him up and put him in the shower just in case, but he did nothing and ran off and started licking his penis.

A bit later I see Panther squatting in his litter box. He looked a bit like he was contracting, like he was trying to poo. I watched him for a few minutes til he got out (no wee/poo) and licked himself again. Anothrer say 10 mins and he was squatting on a towel on the floor. Just left him so he could go if he really needed. But nothing, and went off to lick his penis again. His anus was pulsing a bit while he was licking too.

We haven't seen him do the squatting thing before today but a few weeks ago I thought I could faintly smell wee from our room but couldnt find any evidence. The litter tray is in the laundry and our bedroom is directly down the hall so figured it was just carrying.

I also noticed that he has seemed to be licking himself more often but everything looks normal down there.

He is about 2.5 years and is desexed. Eating and behaving normally otherwise. Im going to call the vet when they open, but it always helps to have others' input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 06:58 PM
Premier Cat

Only can deal with a major blockage... However if he's just constipated, there are ways to get him movin! AFTER you take him the vet...
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 07:54 PM
Premier Cat

He needs to go to a vet. Attempting to poo or pee that many times in a small bit of time, without any luck, is not normal as is emergency vet visit worthy.

It could be either constipation or a urinary infection - but the good news is that if he wasn't also crying when he was straining it's less serious as of now. That means if you get him to the vet ASAP things will maybe be less serious. But you need to go now.

Becky and the cats: Jitzu (11), Torri (9), Doran (8 ), and Muffin (8 )
The boys at 8 - not lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks for replying. I went to the vet. His bladder was small and not sore, but apparently his penis is redder than normal. She gave him an anti-inflamm, anti-biotic and sent us home to get a wee sample. If he doesnt wee today we go back.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 12:46 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_panther View Post
....She gave him an anti-inflamm, anti-biotic and sent us home...
That might sound 'innocent' enough......but, I'm willing to suggest it isn't quality 'medicine' by 2016 standards.

In fact, it's more like the 1940's-1950's universal scenario of going to the 'doc', being cursorily examined and then being shown out while being told "Go home, take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning" - no matter the ailment.

Giving an antibiotic.....to any mammal...without hard evidence of a specific bacterial infection....in 2016, especially, when every message from every global health authority is screaming about the coming crisis of antibiotic resistance...? To me, that's really bad medicine.

Now, to 'drill down' and take this one step further....I'm a bit concerned about a pattern I am seeing of giving anti-inflammatory drugs and a certain antibiotic at the same time.

Could you post the name of the anti-inflammatory...and, was it given by injection?

Was the antibiotic called "Convenia" by any chance...or, if not, could you post the name ?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 01:30 PM
Premier Cat

My post, take 2. What I meant to type was 'only A VET can deal with a major blockage'! I've had so many compy problems this week, lines of text getting glommed ie, eaten ... hopefully you get some answers soon, a blockage of any kind is deadly serious.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 01:38 PM
Premier Cat

I agree with Stryker here, but I'd like to add that if your vet already gave an injectable medicine there's nothing additional to be done.

Once you have given in the sample and they've run tests on it you'll know whether the antibiotic is necessary (please DO ask, if the sample comes back clear, before continuing the course) or if you don't need to give it.

I'd also like to know what anti-inflammatory was given, but mostly because vets are very happy to prescribe metacam, which is not recommended for cats other than as a one-time injection after a surgery. Not at all the way vets typically use it.

If you want to get your boy back to feeling himself I'd feed him only wet food, and add hot tap water to make it a baby-food constituency. With bladder irritation (especially that with no cause) often upping their water intake will help things heal. IME

Becky and the cats: Jitzu (11), Torri (9), Doran (8 ), and Muffin (8 )
The boys at 8 - not lol

Last edited by marie73; 10-25-2016 at 03:14 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Sigh.. I have read so much about Metacam and Convenia. But yes it was injections of both of those. Plus a 5 day course of metacam for home.

I asked about the Metacam. She said it can cause problems but only long term and if overdosed. I still dont like it. But I guess if he does have inflammation down there it would help?

Youre right though, why give an antibiotic with no evidence of bacterial infection. It happens with doctors too

Anyway, he did a wee yesterday afternoon when I got home - took him out of his room and he wandered around for ages before inspecting his usual litter. I figured it was better for him to wee where he was comfortable than to disturb him and probably have him hold it in. So no sample yet. He also did a poo pretty easily this morning.

Hes back in his room with food (we feed wet + water with a few dry biscuits on top) and and litter box so hopefully he goes after he eats.

Last edited by happy_panther; 10-25-2016 at 05:59 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 06:55 PM
Cool Cat

Well, each of these drugs has a contraindication against their being used together. I've dealt with people online who have had this happen to their cats and some of those cats have experienced what the Convenia manufacturer describes as a severe adverse reaction. People have lost their cats because of this.

Some of the reactions and the necessary interventions are described in the drug insert:
Quote:
CONTRAINDICATIONS:
CONVENIA is contraindicated in dogs and cats with known allergy to cefovecin or toβ-lactam (penicillins and cephalosporins) group antimicrobials. Anaphylaxis has been reported with the use of this product in foreign market experience. If an allergic reaction or anaphylaxis occurs, CONVENIA should not be administered again and appropriate therapy should be instituted. Anaphylaxis may require treatment with epinephrine and other emergency measures, including oxygen, intravenous fluids, intravenous antihistamine, corticosteroids, and airway management, as clinically indicated. Adverse reactions may require prolonged treatment due to the prolonged systemic drug clearance (65 days).

https://www.zoetisus.com/products/do...onvenia_pi.pdf (I've bolded emergency responses)
Quote:
FOREIGN MARKET EXPERIENCE:
The following adverse events were reported voluntarily during post-approval use of the product in dogs and cats in foreign markets: death, tremors/ataxia, seizures, anaphylaxis, acute pulmonary edema, facial edema, injection site reactions (alopecia, scabs, necrosis, and erythema), hemolytic anemia, salivation, pruritus, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and inappetance.

(same link)
What's done is done.....my only advise on this is that you watch him like a hawk and that you do everything you can to have him increase his water/liquid intake (I'd ditch the "dry biscuits" - maybe just use crumbs). And, if it were me, I'd not be using any more Metacam. Certainly, if any of the adverse reaction symptoms develop, you would need to take him in and have appropriate treatment(s) started (I bolded those in the first quoted link).

There has been (at least) one very serious similar case reported on this forum....strangely, I can't find it. An apparent less critical incident was reported here: Is my cat in pain? Unfortunately, the outcome is unknown as the member hasn't returned to update the incident. (The shivering she reported there was most likely due to anaemia.)

Do keep us updated......thinking of you both

Last edited by marie73; 10-26-2016 at 07:21 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks Stryker. Just a quick update as its bedtime and I'm on my phone which makes it hard. Ill read thru your reply properly later.

Panther's results came back - white blood cells and struvite crystals in his urine. pH or 6 (vs 5 that they usually expect).

He has been prescribed a urinary diet. I got c/d to try and he actually loves it. His appetite is if anything increased and behaviour seems normal.

I have some more reading to do about the c/d (or royal canin).

I've also read a bit re convenia and metacam in Australia. The indications for use do differ slightly.

I am considering changing vets actually but thats for next time!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page