Average age of adulthood? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Question Average age of adulthood?

So SO's cat, Logan, our big sweet boy, is freaking massive. We took him to the vet at a week past his 4 month mark [last week] and the vet said we should have had him fixed sooner as he is housed with his mother and 2 sister cats. Even though another vet from the same hospital said 4 months is perfect age to fix. And that's confusing.

Anyway.. he is huge, he gets bigger every week and his cute little paws are very much not that little.
Vet said he should be done growing at 6/7 months but everything I've seen online says it varies by breed.
He looks like a short-tabby but both parents were ferals. His sisters are fairly large for their age but he is still about a third larger than them.

When is my baby beast gonna stop growing?

Last edited by marie73; 10-27-2016 at 12:48 PM. Reason: language
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Sadly, there is absolutely no way to know for sure. My bratz gained a pound a month until they were 7 months old. At 9 years old now, they weigh 7.25-7.50 lbs., small girls.

But I would definitely get him fixed now. Cats can be fixed as soon as they are two months old and weigh at least two pounds, that's the standard for many shelters and rescues. Young kittens recover very quickly and little boy cats can avoid bad habits like spraying.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...ignature2.html
http://www.catforum.com/forum/50-ove...inderella.html
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for the response, I suppose I didn't make it clear, he was fixed last week [at about 4mons 1 week of age] the vet who entered him gave us a bit of a hard time about it saying he was too large to be that young and that he shouldn't have been raised around females, even though he had been brought in for stomach issues [at about 2 months of age] and we were told 4 months was ideal time to snip him.

now though, after web-searching, I find that they do it by weight not age. So he could have been snipped then, he was 2.5 lbs. I estimate he is at least 7-8 lbs now though I would have to wrestle him onto a scale to see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, he IS a big boy! And yes, they do have to be at least 2 lbs. to get fixed. It took Cali almost 10 weeks to get there, then I brought them both in.

I'm not sure what being raised around female cats has to do with male growth, unless they're secretly in the kitchen cooking up all kinds of stuff and feeding him while you guys are out of the house.

I wouldn't panic about his size, but I wouldn't free-feed him at this point, just in case that's the situation.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...ignature2.html
http://www.catforum.com/forum/50-ove...inderella.html
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 01:30 PM
Cool Cat

Hi V - and welcome to the forum as well !
Quote:
Originally Posted by circadiana View Post
...When is my baby beast gonna stop growing?
In the absence of deprivation, injury and undue stress, genetics can be a reasonably accurate guide....and, the more you know about lineage, the more accurate your projections/expectations will be.

So......remember what you said back in August ?
Quote:
...[the] baby-daddy who we also believe is [the mother's] father is a huge tomcat we call Wayne.
Methinks you should change that Christmas gift order to a Extra Large catbed

Last edited by marie73; 10-27-2016 at 02:54 PM. Reason: snark removal
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 03:29 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
the vet said we should have had him fixed sooner as he is housed with his mother and 2 sister cats.
Were both vets at the same clinic?

I suppose this can happen either way - but when to get them snipped depends on a few factors.

-Where you got your kitten
-What your vet is comfortable with
-What is standard in your region

Where I am the big rescues have specially treained vets that will do early s/n - so if you get your pet from one of them it can be done as early as 6-8 weeks.

However, if you did not go to one of those particular rescue groups what age your pet can be s/n at depends on the vet you choose. We have a clinic that does mostly s/n, and they do the next earliest at 4 months.

The rescue I work with partners with vets who will s/n at 4 months and 4 lbs., kittens adopted out younger must be done by the time they're 6 months and proof sent to the rescue. The cost is included in the adoption fee if the adopter goes to specific clinics.

Most vets where I am won't do males until 5 months, and females at 6 months. Although it is slowly changing as new methods are brought in a new vets become more comfortable doing a procedure on a younger pet.

Quote:
When is my baby beast gonna stop growing?
Lol, sounds like you'll have a big boy. The 6/7 months thing never seemed to be my experience. All my kitties did MOST of their growing by that time, but looked like silly skinny teenagers. They all gained muscle mass until about a year, and then had a growth spurt of about a 1/2lb at 2 years. Even tiny Torri gained 1/2lb at 2! (To make her a 'gigantic' 6.5lbs)

Maine Coons are known to grow until they're about 3 years old. They have a lot more growing to do than an average kitty, so it makes sense that it takes longer. Keep an eye on his overall condition, rather than worrying about his actual weight. And feed him like he's the growing kitten that he is!

Quote:
the vet who entered him gave us a bit of a hard time about it saying he was too large to be that young
The vet was being a pain, basically.

Technically at 4 months he could possibly be old enough to mate. Some males are and some aren't. In my last litter we had one male and one female until they were 4 months, and the male was definitely starting to display more 'male' behaviors (mostly being a brat with his sister and scruffing her, then he got really confused and had no idea what to do next! XD). They went in to be neutered and then went on to another foster home.

The actual likelihood of him having enough testosterone to actually mate and impregnate a female at 4 months is pretty darn low. Not impossible, but very minimal.

Becky and the cats: Jitzu (11), Torri (9), Doran (8 ), and Muffin (8 )
The boys at 8 - not lol

Last edited by marie73; 10-27-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page