Kidney disease advice - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Kidney disease advice

Hi everyone, I haven't been on this for awhile, last time was for my little Mia baby, who had so many problems, sadly she passed away at the end of January, but the advice I got on this forum helped me tremendously better the quality of her life in her last year, it helped my sanity when I was going through the worst of times with her, and it has helped me cope afterwards knowing she was truly helped and happier off suggestions I never would have gotten had I not come here (vets always give meds for everything but that always seems to make things worse). So the advice I'm seeking now is for a kidney disease kitty. My Piggy stopped eating for 2 days, it was very sudden to, night he was his normal piggy self, morning he was sick, unfortunately I wasn't home and didn't find out until I got home, so I immediately started syringe feeding him, giving him sub q fluids, took him to the vet got blood work, his bun was 153! crea 2.7, everything else was good, urinalysis I got after these results were normal, so he went on fluids overnight for 2 nights and 3 full days, while at the vet he didn't eat anything but the blood recheck showed his bun went down to 44, crea was normal at 1.3, so I brought him home. His next recheck will be in about a month to make sure hes still at those levels. Thankfully after mirtazipine they gave him right before he came home, his appetite was up. He turned his nose up at his usual raw but he ate bff with no probs and I want him to gain his weight back before I start messing with trying to get him on a better diet. Over the past few days hes been doing great and hopefully it stays that way but in order to make sure he stays stable I'm gonna have to change his lifestyle. Right now hes sneezing a lot, has a lot of congestion (his nose is irritated, there even a tiny bit of blood in his snot when he sprays it everywhere), he came from a colony and has always had these flare ups every once in awhile of uris, I'm giving him clavamox right now, which will be done tomorrow. And I started giving him l lysine day and night. So, as of now I don't think he needs sub q fluids (he feels hydrated), but I'm giving him azodyl now, one in the morning one at night, and I ordered ultimate flora 15 billion probiotics, I was going to give half in the morning half at night, I was thinking of giving him slippery elm bark everyday in case he ever feels crappy or has too much acid but I'm not sure if its unnecessary at this point with him right at the beginning of kidney disease. Any advice on what I could/should potentially be doing to keep his kidneys from from getting worse? I've researched a lot on different supplements and whatnot but having no experience with them I just dont know. Diet wise, I dont feel comfortable feeding him one of those prescription diets, I read some newer studies showing lower protein can actually do more harm to them than keeping the protein up and making sure their muscle mass doesn't decline. My goal is to get him back on my raw (which is homemade, dr. piersons recipe) until I find a better raw recipe suited for him (if I even do find one). Thanks in advance for any tips/advice. Also any tips on giving the azodyl? I read sprinkled on food in ineffective, but giving him the whole pill (its the small one) is torture for him and day and night doing that for the rest of his life seems unrealistic, hes the type of cat that goes insane when you try to mess with him (the sub q when I was giving them was a horrible stressful experience, Ive never dealt with such an unruly animal doing that), and mixed with water activates it to quickly? If someone has found a easy way pleease let me know I hate stressing him out so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Also, for those of you that can read blood work, here's his original test, urinalysis, --and recheck (in case there's something alarming I don't see or anything the vet failed to mention), and a pic of the cutie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9813_1478033968281.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	109665  

Name:	IMG_9814_1478033980971.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	109673  

Name:	IMG_9815_1478033991685.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	109681  

Name:	IMG_9816_1478034007648.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	993.1 KB
ID:	109689  

Name:	IMG_5302_1478034036408.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	109697  

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 10:16 PM
Premier Cat

I'm so sorry about Mia. Piggy is adorable. Thank goodness he's eating again! I don't have any personal experience with CKD kitties or azodyl, so I don't have too many suggestions. If you're not familiar with Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease, it's a great resource: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat.

The only other things I know, and I'm sure you already know them as well, is that he needs plenty of water and that you should try to avoid foods with a high phosphorus content, especially since his phosphorus level is high. But I don't feed raw and don't know if phosphorus is a concern or not. If you feed wet, this chart from Tanya's site shows the phosphorus content of a bunch of different different wet foods: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease- Canned Food Data USA

It says it was mostly updated in 2014. I feel like someone posted another chart that might have been more up-to-date, and I thought I'd bookmarked it, but I can't find it now.

This site might help you to decode some of the bloodwork values: Normal Dog and Cat Blood And Urine Chemistry Test Results

If you click on the value, it'll give you some possible reasons that it's too high or too low.

I hope others will have more concrete suggestions for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 08:11 AM
Cool Cat

I'm sorry that you and Piggy are going through this. He looks like a sweetheart.

The links that Spirite posted are excellent resources for dealing with kidney disease and understanding the blood test results. When I was giving sub q fluids to Tiger I found that warming the fluid to body temperature helped so much with his comfort level. This link explains how to warm it and has other suggestions that may help with administering sub q fluids. I hope this helps. Please keep us posted.

Judy

Feline CRF Information Center - Subcutaneous Fluid Therapy

Last edited by jking; 11-02-2016 at 08:14 AM. Reason: added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page