Help for an old cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Help for an old cat

Okay guys it been a while and I'm hoping yall can give me some advice. We live in an apt complex and there's a old cat that's been wandering around there snice his owner has been in an out of the hospital the past few months. My husband and myself along with a few of our neighbors have taken up the task of keeping him fed and watered we noticed he's been starting to hang out around our door more often so we set out a bowl of food and fresh water along with my old fluffy robe he can sleep on and stay warm. Well we have noticed he's still very skinny we can see his spine clearly I'm wondering what kind of food we can give him to have him gain his weight back with making him sick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 11:16 AM
Kitten

I think kitten-specific food is supposed to be higher in calories than adult cat food. Maybe try some of that?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 12:53 PM
Cool Cat

that's so nice that you're all trying to make sure he's fed and taken care of. would you be willing to actually be THE ONES who do adopt him? whether or not it's temporary? cuz it sounds like although everyone is trying, it may not be enough since he is losing so much weight. he may even be depressed with his person in the hospital so often. sounds like he basically has no real home anymore and really really needs someone to be his saviors before he wastes away to nothing.

if you have noticed how skinny he's become, I'm sure everyone else knows, too, and would probably be grateful and relieved if someone did take on the primary care responsibility. definitely let his person know as well, of course. if he/she is a cat lover, then I'm sure he/she would be extremely appreciative. can you imagine if you yourself were too sick to care for your cat(s)? I would be devastated and feel so guilty. having someone to help would be the most amazing thing.

perhaps if he knew he had a real home and family to attach to, he would eat more and be happier and feel safer in general.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Well we're thinking maybe the downstairs neighbors would like to adopt him but we're not sure yet as for my husband and myself we are unable to we have our rex and this old cat just doesn't get along with rex very well. I'm going to bring the topic of adoption up to the apartment Manger she's very good with keeping up the everyone that has pets .
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 04:38 PM
Cool Cat

Good luck and thank you for opening your heart to him. Perhaps the fact that you can feel his spine is because he is old. That does happen with cats. But being thin in winter is a bad deal. Maybe you can put the old robe in a box, that would even be more sheltering and cats do seem to love boxes.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Yea we have a cat house rex used to use when he was a kitten he never uses it anymore so we put that out there as well..our neighbors that live across from us said they saw Andy ( the old cat ) curled up sleeping in it
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 07:32 PM
Premier Cat

He might also have parasites of some kind, can you catch im?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

He very possibly might but snice he is not my cat I can't take him anywhere plus I don't have the funds to have him checked out :/ all I can do for him is give him food and water and a warm robe to sleep on
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 07:14 PM
Premier Cat

I agree with the kitten specific food. Fancy Feast makes a turkey kitten food which is very yummy and also Science Diet makes a kitten kibble with is very yummy. I feed both these to my foster kittens and fed it to my old Lacey Mae when she was alive.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page