Puking problems :/ - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Question Puking problems :/

Hey guys!

Long time no talk! You were kind enough to give me some advice and guidance when my mother passed away in 11/15 and I brought our cat, Eppy, to live with me in California. I'm still so grateful for that support, and I'm pleased to say that Eppy is doing great and has become my best buddy.

We're having a slight issue though.

Ep has never been much of a puker. In fact, the only time he's puked in the past has been to hock up a hairball (he's got long hair and keeps himself very clean, so this happened on the reg). But lately, he's been vomiting more than usual, and it's food and a LOT of water.

The first time was about a week and a half ago. I'd been gone for five days, came home, we went to bed and I was awoken in the middle of the night by a puking cat beside me. So amazing. I stripped the bed and slept on a bare mattress, but figured he got over excited about me being back or he ate something that didn't agree with him.

Cue the next day and we're taking a nap on my bed and he starts puking again. Both times he had crawled under the covers, so I was chalking it up to him getting overheated. I dunno. I was just trying to figure it out.

It happened, I think, two more times a few days apart. I made an appointment with the vet for Friday but had to move it to this morning. The vet's office called and said the vet wouldn't be in so could we move the appt? I just canceled it because he hadn't thrown up in a full week and seemed to be over whatever was making him vomit. Also, I was away for the weekend and he seemed fine when I got back, so I took it as a good sign.

Welp, about a half hour ago, it was barf city again. Food, lots of liquid.

The thing is, other than the puking, he's 100% fine. Like, scary fine. Still eating, drinking, using the litter box, playing like a maniac (as I'm typing this, we were playing with a hair tie), purring like crazy, everything. Tail is up and friendly. I know cats sometimes mask sickness, but I've seen Ep sick before when he was younger, and he was definitely lethargic and not himself. Now, he is, so I'm not sure what to think.

One thought I had was that I haven't seen a hairball lately. Not sure if maybe he's puking because there's one stuck in there, but he's also, again, going to the bathroom, everything else totally normally.

I'm guessing I need to reschedule that vet appointment for this week, but thought I'd ask you guys for advice first. TBH, I recently lost my job in a lay-off/restructuring (yes, my life is a continual cycle of suckage) so I was hoping to avoid a vet bill but I don't think I'll have peace of mind until he stops puking.

Anyway! Theories/advice welcome. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 03:56 PM
Premier Cat

Could be a sensitivity to his food. What are you feeding him? Gradually over a week switch try him on some no-grain (no wheat, soy or corn) canned food and see if that makes a change with him. The fact that he's perky, has an appetite and his "normal" self shows he isn't sick.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar -- "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Whew! Thank you so much for that last sentence.

I feed him Hill's Prescription Diet c/d Multicare Urinary Care Stress wet and dry food twice a day. The cans are small, but one usually lasts him 3 meals and I give him a small handful of dry food which he snacks on throughout the day. (He's always done this - nothing new there.)

The vet put him on that food back in June-ish when I took him in for an issue of him peeing on the floor. She did a urinalysis and found some crystals, so she recommended a special diet.

Last edited by marie73; 01-31-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 12:25 PM
Cool Cat

unfortunately I do think getting tests at the vet will be the only way to know for sure. could be he just developed some stomach ulcers, which are easily controlled with Pepcid, though. might not be that at all, though! hope the vet tells you an easy answer! don't really want to suggest anything else until you get the tests.

Maggie
Kitty, Lucy, and my sweet Angel forever in my heart.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:28 AM
Premier Cat

I would keep the appointment just to clear up anything serious. I often experience this when a cat is getting a URI. Most of the time it clears up in a few days. One product I love is Homeopet for Digestive Upsets. It available from Amazon and in my experience it really helps those occasional upchucks or diarrhea issues. You need 5 drops per dose so use a tiny water dish (like a saucer) with the droplets in it to be sure he gets it all, or you can just put it in a tiny oral syringe - .02ml is 5 drops.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Arrow Throwing up all day :(

Hey guys!

The puke saga continues. Eppy threw up around 10am this morning. We'd gone a full two weeks since the last time he puked and I thought we were out of the woods. I cleaned up the puke and decided not to give him breakfast right away, but to make sure he had lots of water.

I think he probably puked two or three more times throughout the course of the day, each time coming up with a little hairball. I'm actually a bit relieved - I haven't seen him throw up a hairball in a bit so I was afraid something was the matter. Along with the hairball was lots of liquid. The last time he puked, it was kind of a milky white/orange color along with a hairball.

I thought he had a bit of a fever earlier (ears were warm and right now they're warm again, but that could be because he's pressed up against me). I gave him a bit of CatLax earlier too for his hairballs. No telling if that came back up with his last puking episode about 5 hours ago.

He's been semi-normal today other than the puking. He was even playing a bunch with some string he found on the couch and enjoyed laying in the sun this afternoon. Gums are pale pink, tail action has been normal. He drank some water earlier (puked it back up) and was awake most of the day. Now, he's been snoozing beside me for the past 2-3 hours. I woke him up and gave him a little wet food to see if he could keep it down and so far so good.

I guess I'm just looking to see if there's anything else I should be doing? I feel like if he's still puking/not really eating tomorrow, I'll see if I can get him into the vet tomorrow afternoon or Thursday.

Good vibes and virtual hugs welcome - he's my goofy, funny Valentine. <3
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

ETA: Just gave him a little forkful of wet food for dinner and he's currently gobbling it up. Fingers crossed it stays down!

(Sorry, mods, I couldn't figure out how to edit my initial post. I'm a n00b!)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 11:52 PM
Kitten

How are things going?

I have to disagree a bit re: if he's acting normal aside from puking he's not sick. Vomiting is a very common symptom of hyperthyroidism and a cat can seem totally fine, esp. because it can make them very active and seem to have a good appetite. Hyperthyroidism is what I have experience with so of course it is the first thing I think of, but my point is really that frequent vomiting itself is a sign that something needs to be checked out so you can figure out what's going on, whether it's a food sensitivity or ulcers or thyroid issue or something else. Hope you can find the cause and that your kitty feels better soon!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM
Premier Cat

With the days getting longer, you will likely notice more loose hair from your cat, as we're coming into the time of spring "coat drop" (there's also one in late summer as well). It's helpful to the cat if you can groom him every day with a comb or soft brush to remove a lot of the loose hairs, so that he isn't getting a lot of it in his stomach. If he continues to vomit, and it's not a hair ball, he should be checked out by a vet for other reasons.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar -- "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page