Fang Broke Off - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Fang Broke Off

I'm not sure yet which kitty it belongs to, but I found a broken off fang on the couch tonight! From the size of it, I'm thinking it may be my larger cat, Snow Kitty. Hopefully I can get a good look in his mouth soon and find out for sure. Then it's a vet appointment for him!

Neither cat is showing any signs of pain or distress right now, and I know that means nothing. They hide pain so well. But I know first hand how badly tooth problem hurt! So I feel so bad for him.

Can anyone give me an idea of what's to come? I don't know (yet) how close to the gum it broke off, but I imagine they will have to remove what's left of it?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 05:51 PM
Premier Cat

Oh no, that sounds painful! I imagine they'd have to remove the entire tooth as well.

Have you been to the vet? How's Snow Kitty doing now?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks for the reply, Sprite!

It turns out it was Girly, not Snow Kitty. We saw the vet this morning, and we are scheduled to have her dental work done next Thursday. They are going to remove the rest of the tooth plus two back teeth that have tartar and decay on them. The vet seemed to think that she wasn't in much pain and would be okay until we have it done. I will admit to being very concerned about having her under anesthesia for any length of time. A friend's kitten died under sedation while being spayed. So there's that, plus I'm not looking forward to trying to give her medication afterward. A lot of stress...for both of us!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 11:50 PM
Premier Cat

Aw, poor baby! At least she isn't in pain though - and maybe in the end it was a good thing, since it allowed you to find the teeth that need to be extracted. Those are painful.

Oh my goodness, how sad about your friend's kitten! Putting kitties under is always a risk, but remember that the huge majority of kitties come through dentals just fine. Mine had a cleaning and one extraction a few weeks ago. The vet gave her an injection of long-acting buprenorphine that was supposed to last for 3 days, but no additional pain meds, maybe because she has issues with constipation, and all the pain meds can cause constipation. So for a few days, she was probably not very comfortable. Her mouth must have been sore, because when she tried to drink water, most of it ended up on her chest. But she was back to normal in about a week. So if you can't get pain meds into your kitty, it's not the worst thing.

Antibiotics, on the other hand...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Oh yeah...she isn't going to want me trying to put a pill into her mouth after having all of that work done.

I'm glad to hear your kitty is doing well. It's encouraging to know that others have gone through this and it turned out okay.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:59 PM
Cool Cat

While there's always some risk from general anesthesia, life-threatening complications during routine dental work are exceedingly rare. I'm sorry to hear about your friend's kitty, but things like that are really just a sad fluke, not something that happens routinely.

Your vet will almost certainly do pre-op bloodwork to ensure your kitty is healthy enough before administering anesthesia. I'm sure she'll be fine.

Zephyr had to have two teeth extracted a few weeks ago and he bounced back right away.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page