closed mouth - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Cat

closed mouth

Did your cat's mouth remain closed when she was euthanized? I closed Misty's eyes and they remained closed but her mouth was not open. Vet listened to her heart and said she was gone. Makes me afraid she really wasn't dead yet. She looked so peaceful like she was sleeping.

Last edited by marie73; 02-11-2017 at 01:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:59 PM
Premier Cat

Oh Jenlee, I'm so sorry. I haven't had to euthanize a kitty, but I'm sure not vet would not have said she was gone without being absolutely sure. Please don't have second thoughts about it. I hope you can take some comfort in the fact that she did look so peaceful.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 02:15 AM
Cool Cat

I'm sure your vet would make absolutely positive that your cat had passed on before telling you so. I don't think you have anything to worry about there.

I've seen two cats be put to sleep. My parents' cat Lucy had a closed mouth and she had definitely passed on; I was the one who buried her so I know for sure she was dead. Bentley's mouth was open slightly when he died, but it was already open due to the seizures he was having, so I think that was not from the euthanasia.

My guess is that Misty looked peaceful because she was peaceful - she was beyond pain and fear, so it really was just like going to sleep for her.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:36 PM
Cool Cat

I'm also sure she was truly gone when the vet confirmed it. Sounds like she was completely relaxed already (and that is a beautiful thing) by the time the overdose of sedative was given. You hear sometimes that your cat may have additional muscle twitches or even urinate because all the muscles are finally completely relaxed, but I don't know how often that really happens. Angel was also completely relaxed like Misty and her expression never changed. Her mouth never opened and she didn't urinate. If she had I would not have cared because she hated those pee pads and I didn't want her to have to feel one underneath her when she went. instead she was on a nice soft blanket. so I'm sure Misty's mouth just remained closed because she was already as relaxed as could be.

Maggie
Kitty, Lucy, and my sweet Angel forever in my heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page