Not quite diarrhea but not solid BMs with Rx food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Not quite diarrhea but not solid BMs with Rx food

Hey all!

My dear Tina has been on her prescription food for about a month now and I am sad to report that she isn't having solid BMs. They aren't completely liquid but they aren't formed. They kinda look like the emoji on phones. From my experience and my veterinarian's feedback, they should be like a sticky tootsie roll. I told my vet I'm never eating those again after that conversation!

She's been eating the Purina NF food. We started with this because Tina didn't do so well on Hill's c/d or Royal Canin Urinary SO + Calm and lost weight. She's maintained her weight on the Purina NF but I don't think her body likes it based on the BMs.

I got a small bag of Royal Canin Renal Support S and we're trying that but I'm afraid she'll lose weight. She's getting weighed every other day before dinner so I can establish a trend early.

Other than the food, she's doing rather good since the CKD diagnosis and takes her pill like a champ every day. We started off giving her enalapril but telmisartan was approved for use in Europe for CKD cats and the studies show that it actually is effective in the long term whereas the ACE inhibitor class of drugs (they used benazepril) was not. I found the study and thought it was interesting. I printed it out and gave it to my vet and she said while it's new for cats, she was willing to prescribe it as she knows I will keep up with the blood tests to check for issues. It's available in the US for humans so she can prescribe it off-label. Her creatinine has dropped a bit (at 1.9 now) and hopefully we will stop or at least slow progression of the disease.

Anyways, what do you think about the food situation? Should I continue with the Purina NF or continue trying to Royal Canin Renal Support S? I don't really want to try the Hill's renal food as Tina did so poor on their c/d food. I don't know what to do if none of the Rx foods work. She was eating Orijen before. I'm concerned she has a grain sensitivity now.

TIA <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 11:49 AM
Cool Cat

just addressing the mushy poop for now -
have you tried adding just a little winter squash baby food or pureed pure pumpkin to add a little bulk to it? that won't address the allergy issue to grains if that's what it is, but if it's just some more solidly formed poop you're after, adding this kind of fiber should help. just experiment with the amount she might need. like start with a quarter teaspoon or something with a meal and see how it goes. and hopefully she doesn't mind the taste. I've seen more opinions here that the squash is a little tastier, though. you can buy little jars of it in the baby food section at the grocery store.

maybe it's just the medications she's getting that's causing a bit of almost diarrhea, too. It seems like most of the time the side -effects tend to be the OTHER way - constipation. but you never know. did the vet mention any common side effects for her meds?

good luck with her!

Maggie
Kitty, Lucy, and my sweet Angel forever in my heart.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

We're looking a little firmer. She's mostly eating the Royal Canin now. I guess time will tell if it was just something else in the Purina food doing it.

She's never liked pumpkin and would refuse to eat her food. I'll try it with winter squash! Maybe that'll be more appetizing.

The only side effect my vet mentioned would be decreased kidney function (ironic) in the case of the enalapril and increased liver enzymes on the telmisartan. I did read that some people have a problem with their cat vomiting while on telmisartan but I didn't see any reports of diarrhea. Tina went on a drug holiday for 4 days while I was out of town (our pet sitter is understandably afraid of her and won't pill her) and it did not go away so I doubt it's the drugs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 11:15 PM
Premier Cat

I'm glad you found something that she'll eat, and hopefully she'll gain some weight, or at least not lose any. Is she continuing to do better on the RC than on the Purina NF?

I'd never heard of telmisartan. I'm going to ask my vet about it the next time we go. Thanks for mentioning it. And kudos to your vet for listening to you, being open to something new, and being willing to prescribe it for Tina.

How often are you supposed to take her in for bloodwork?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 01:46 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottd View Post
...she's doing rather good since the CKD diagnosis....We started off giving her enalapril but telmisartan was approved for use in Europe for CKD cats and the studies show that it actually is effective in the long term whereas the ACE inhibitor class of drugs (they used benazepril) was not. I found the study and thought it was interesting. I printed it out and gave it to my vet and she said while it's new for cats, she was willing to prescribe it as she knows I will keep up with the blood tests to check for issues. It's available in the US for humans so she can prescribe it off-label. Her creatinine has dropped a bit (at 1.9 now) and hopefully we will stop or at least slow progression of the disease.....
Hi Scott !

The 'Tanya' site has quite a lot of info on telmisartan......with many references and links....and with Helen's personal view/opinions: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Proteinuria\

Just to say, if I were in your position, I'd join the specialized online community that's attached to the 'Tanya' site. Those people are here: https://tanyackd.groups.io/g/support Here's a piece about how the group 'works': Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Tanya's Support Group

(I know from experience there's good advice about foods available there too.)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

She's actually doing much better on the RC RS-A. I don't know what's in the Purina food but it did not agree with her. Her weight is stable, she seems to enjoy munching on the food (our other cat even tries to steal it), and her poo is firm like a tootsie roll. I thought the corn was causing it but that can't be it is as it's the first ingredient in the RC food.

I love my veterinarian! She's taken such wonderful care of all 4 critters. When we adopted the 2 dogs and 1 of them turned out to have SEVERE anxiety, she saw him probably 5 or 6 times before she even charged us despite us trying to pay. She got him on a cocktail of fluoexetine and alprazolam and he's a totally different dog that actually acts like a dog now. It's amazing. I don't know what I'd do without her.

Tina's been getting tested every 2 weeks and is supposed to get a test tomorrow but due to transportation issues (tire blowout caused a bunch of under carriage damage to my car yesterday ), we're going to do it next week instead. After that, we're following up in 3 months and then every 6 months after unless there is a problem. Her labs are actually looking better. Creatinine has dropped some and phosphorus has also went down a bit.

Last edited by marie73; 03-10-2017 at 12:43 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 02:20 AM
Premier Cat

scottd, it sounds like you have a really great vet and Tina's in good hands. And I'm glad to hear that her numbers are improving.

But wow, every two weeks for labwork. Has Tina been handling that well? If it comes to that for Celia, she'll be a basketcase. And yikes, sorry to hear about your car - just what you didn't need.

stryker, thanks for the reminder about Tanya's site. I've consulted it so many times and yet somehow never came across telmisartan. I suppose that's an indication of just how much information is there. Most recently, I looked through all the food charts - I believe they were all updated in the last year. Of course the food that Celia was eating was one of the highest in phosphorus - well over 2.0!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Stryker, thank you for the info about the group! I didn't know it existed. I've been reading Tanya's website quite a bit lately. It's such a great source of info.

spirite, Tina is not a fan at all of the vet visits. She generally hates everyone except me and the two chihuahuas. She turns into a demon cat when restrained. I typically give her some Valium before we leave the house to help her calm down. It does make her more compliant but it also lowers her blood pressure so it's even harder to get samples. My vet moved practices in the last year and the new clinic isn't so fond of me restraining Tina. At the last clinic, I restrained her for xrays, cystocentesis, ultrasounds, etc. and we never had an issue. The new clinic won't allow me to restrain her for blood draws. I'm not sure that she would be much more compliant with me doing it anyways though.

Tina has always been "special" at the vet and I think the two of us might be a little too much for the vet techs now. I saw her chart the other day and it's labeled with like 3 warnings and specifies that only 1 vet tech can work with her who happens to be the clinic manager. Our beloved Dr is super though and understands.

She's doing so well on the Royal Canin and has almost finished the little 3lb bag. I went ahead and ordered a bigger 6.5lb bag from Chewy.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 12:47 PM
Cool Cat

You're more than welcome, Scott. Personally, I was 'just' blown away by the group leaders' and experienced members' level of caring, compassion and technical knowledge that was being shared among participants there. I was able to witness cats' lives being enhanced and, in some cases, saved from immediate 'final Vet visits'. Back then it was a very busy group...I understand it's even more active nowadays....so, be assertive to ensure you're seen and heard there! (btw, it's a 24/7/365 service!)

The 'no-restraint-blood-draw' thing worries me.........I have read accounts of cats being severely injured during blood draws from the neck (jugular injuries). Personally, I always ensure that blood draws are done from another area, usually a leg vein/artery. My recommendation for you is to do the same for Tina. Without any form of sedation, again, I'd say that you may need to be extra assertive....some vet-tech staff are known to be extremely "head-strong" - translation: obstinate - in their medical practices and resistant to procedural change. Perhaps make this an issue with the Vet and, have it highlighted in/on the file.

Keep us posted.

Last edited by marie73; 03-15-2017 at 03:37 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Ah yeah, they've never tried getting blood from her neck. I wouldn't allow it. We always use her back legs.

The last few blood draws have been good. The clinic manager is very experienced and is able to get the blood on the first stick. The others seem to get nervous and I end up saying we're done, go get the doctor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page