Cat Forum banner

Help, injured 16 year old cat

762 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  spirite 
#1 ·
Hi everyone my name is Jackie, and I have had an awful week as on Monday night my cat was attacked by a dog just outside my flat

He is currently in the pet hospital, his main injury is a fractured sternum, Bruising, no broken skin thank god, and problem with radial nerve in his paw... his bloods are and he's zonked out on meds. I just feel the vet is quite pessimistic? all based on his age, anyone had a similiar experience?
Give me some good news preferably! :grin2:

Yours hopefully
Jackie
Essex U.K.

#2 ·
Sorry, I can't be optimistic either. Many years ago I had a 16 y.o. cat attacked by two dogs, and one shook and swung him by a hind leg like a hammer thrower. I screamed at the dog and he dropped my cat, but I could see his hind leg was badly fractured. Took him to the vet and the vet had to put in plates and screws to hold his leg together and cat to be rested. He was in a lot of pain (no pain meds in those days!), and desparately wanted out of a large dog crate, ate very little and could see he was miserable...but he was my daughter's cat and she wouldn't hear of him being put down. Less than a week later he had a fit and died suddenly, I think it was a heart attack. In retrospect at his age we should have let him go, as he suffered quite a bit in the end, and my daughter was present when he died. Not a happy ending for a wonderful cat that deserved better. :frown2: :crying:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.