Cat Forum banner

Mass In Throat - Has anyone dealt with this?

737 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  spirite 
#1 ·
I am watching my mother's 14 year old cat and took her to the vet as she seemed gulpier and had more throat noises than normal, as well as having a very twitchy/agitated tail flick and possible bloat/pain in her abdomen. At first the vet called and said the xray's showed bloating/gas in her abdomen, and a foreign object in her throat area. Unfortunately, upon the follow up call I was informed that there is a small mass (size: about the tip of an eraser) at the entrance to her trachea. Since the cat has always been kind of gulpy and noisy in the throat area (since we've had her, about 4 years), the vet assumes this has been an ongoing, slow forming mass.

Unfortunately, the vet can only refer us to a specialty clinic, and I'm told this can be a very considerable expense. I also read though, that if it is NOT cancerous, these removals have pretty good success rates. For now, we will be given antibiotics (for a suspected secondary infection - lots of mucus in the mass area) and a steroid, and hopefully next week the vet will have more information on what clinics nearby might even be able to attempt to diagnose/treat this sort of issue.

At the moment our cat still seems fairly normal, still wanting food and rubs, still very attentive and purring when pet.

I cannot seem to find much information on this sort of issue, so I'm hoping perhaps some others on here may have some experience or advice. Has anyone dealt with this type of issue for their cat?

See less See more
#2 ·
Seems this is one of those "wait and see" situations. Perhaps next week when your vet has more information it will be clearer what treatment can be made. Good luck! All the Best!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.