Can't Get Constipated - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Can't Get Constipated

Title should say "Can't Get Constipated Cat to Change Food" - Forum software posted my typing too soon.

I have a 5 yr old female whom I’ve had since she was a kitten. She has always eaten Friskies Pate canned food which was recommended to me at the time I got her. She needs to be changed to a different food however. She has lately been having problems with constipation and our vet wants her on a dry food with more fiber. She is also putting on too much weight which also requires a change in her diet (and cut back of her canned food) as well.

The problem is that she is the FUSSIEST cat I have ever been around. She simply won’t eat any kind of dry food I feed her. I am on the fourth different kind of high quality brand dry food I can find and she won’t have anything to do with any of them. Right now, I am trying Hill’s Science Diet Interior Chicken Recipe for Adults 1-6. She simply won’t have anything to do with it. I have tried the “transition” techniques they have recommended, i.e. mixing a small amount of the kibble with some of her Friskies pate. She simply picked the kibble out of the food and ate only her old Friskies.

I also tried taking some small pieces of baked chicken breast (which she goes absolutely mad for) and mixed those with just a very small amount of kibble and again, she wouldn’t touch it. She wouldn’t even try to get the baked chicken pieces out of it. I also tried the baked chicken pieces again but mixing some warm water in with the kibble to soften the kibble and make kind of a chicken “stew”. Again, she would have no part of it.

The same thing happened with the last brand I tried, which was a Purina top of the line, all natural grain free dry food. There was NO way she would have anything to do with the kibble even with her favorite foods mixed in. She has always seemed prepared to starve before she was willing to touch any of the newer food.

Now, there is another part of this problem. She has NEVER been willing to drink water either. The only water she has been getting is from her Friskies canned food, which has high water content and so far has been adequate but not great. Since she is going to have to have her canned food cut way down because of her weight, that means she is going to have to start drinking water on her own. This will be particularly true if I am finally successful somehow in getting her to start eating dry food.

I’ve gotten her a water bubbler in the past since she wouldn’t drink from a dish of water but she wouldn’t touch it. I have also now gotten her a Drinkwell large circular fountain, a really nice fountain and again, she still ignores it. She will play with a small stream of water from a faucet and sometimes will stick her paw in the water and drink the water off her paw, but I can’t get her to drink water from her fountain at all.

Last edited by cats4me; 03-19-2017 at 01:45 PM. Reason: posted before ready to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 04:01 PM
Premier Cat

Have you tried just adding a little water to her canned food and mixing it in so it's a little thinner than pate?

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:51 PM
Cool Cat

that sounds kinda weird that the vet would recommend DRY food to prevent constipation since constipation usually arises when there's not enough water in the diet.
have you just tried to add a little miralax to her wet food to prevent constipation?
the fiber in the dry food might actually make her MORE constipated if it's insoluble (roughage) vs water soluble fiber (like the miralax). and if you add all that insoluble fiber and take about the moisture in her food, that could be a recipe for disaster - i.e. painful constipation.

Maggie
Kitty, Lucy, and my sweet Angel forever in my heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page