Cat Forum banner

Could my cat have been saved?

890 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Blakeney Green 
#1 · (Edited)
My elder cat was sadly killed in a road traffic collision on Thursday. He would have been 14 years of age in July, and naturally I am shocked and stunned that this has happened. From what I understand, he had been chasing another cat away (as he was very territorial) and ultimately did not see and/or hear the car in the road and was hit. The driver was considerate enough to stop and get out of his car, however as I was not there personally, there are a lot of unanswered questions, I feel, as to why this happened.

From what I understand, the accident happened between 16:55 and 17:00 on Thursday evening. I received a call at around 17:01 with the terrible news, however I would not get home for another ten minutes. Previously, he had been very wary of roads and it seems most out of character for him to have run into the road like this, regardless of whether he was chasing another cat or not. As he apparently ran out into the road after this cat, the car driver was unable to react in time. When he was hit, the driver immediately stopped and got out his car, however he assumed just by looking at him that he was dead. He was not moving and his eyes were open. Furthermore, as he did not know whose cat it was, he spent a great deal of time going around the houses making enquiries. All this served only to delay any chances he had of receiving care and attention.

By the time I had gotten home at 17:12, it was clear that he had already passed away, and that any efforts to revive him would be fruitless. I noticed also that blood had been running from his nose. However, I question whether any viable attempts could have been made to revive him in the crucial seconds/minutes after he had been hit. If it were me, I would have attempted to resuscitate the cat there and then, and failing that immediately gone to the nearest veterinary, which is just over five minutes away. Instead a great deal of time was wasted, I feel, when it should not have been. In any case, I have spoken with our local veterinary practice and after an examination, he suffered from numerous broken ribs, some of which potentially could have punctured his heart/lung. This suggests to me that any attempts to revive him, even immediately afterwards, would have been fruitless. Furthermore, these broken ribs suggest that the car actually went over him, and not merely hit him.

Although it will obviously not bring him back, I am curious to know whether he could have been saved and whether there were missed opportunities.

See less See more
#2 ·
Your description sounds terminal to me. The driver was considerate to stop. Many just race on, never thinking at all. :(

Please, just let it be. Be grateful it was very quick and Troy never knew what happened.

Sympathy on your loss, been there myself. It's hard.

#3 ·
It sounds to me like he died upon impact, so there was nothing anyone could have done, I know it's hard :patback

#4 ·
I don't think he could have been saved. I'm sorry. :( His injuries just sound too severe.

Even if he could somehow have been resuscitated - which I doubt - I don't think he would have been able to make a meaningful recovery or have a decent quality of life. I think it was much less painful for him to just quickly pass on than to try to force a semblance of life back into his body when he was never again going to have the life he should have. It would only have prolonged his suffering.

I'm sorry for your loss. I know it's natural to second guess a situation like that. I just don't think anything could have changed this outcome, so I think you need to work on finding peace with it rather than dwelling on saying "What if...?"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.