Cat Forum banner

Feeding low weight seniors versus overweight younger cat

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Kaylesh 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm not sure what to do about a feeding/nutrition problem. I have three cats: Rotten is about 10, Jessie & Jig are about 15. They are free-fed dry kibble (Taste of the Wild) and twice per day get a can of wet food divided between them. Jessie & Jig eat most of the wet food, and I know Rotten eats more of the dry food than they do.

Jessie & Jig tend to go underweight at the drop of a hat. We are constantly on them to keep them at good weights. Rotten, on the other hand, has become quite fat. I can't take away her dry food, because every bite is crucial to the other two cats.

Any suggestions? I'd love to decrease Rotten's weight without hurting the two older cats.

#2 ·
I've had problems with "piggy" cats over the years, and what I do is feed "piggy" separately in another room, until the other cat(s) have finished as much as they want to eat. I don't leave out dry kibble for my cats to eat, and only use it in puzzle toys and as treats when they get their nails clipped. Most of their diet is canned food, and some raw chicken winglets to reduce tartar on their teeth.

#3 ·
I had this issue . One overweight cat who was very overweight when I rescued him and a elderly (since passed over the bridge) cat who had thyroid and kidney issues.. Needed a way to let Midnight (the elderly one) free feed without Spirit (Mr greedy guts ;) ) eating all of his too.. I found this was the only way i managed and Midnight had no problem learning how to use it.. Its expensive to buy but soooo worth it in the end.. It's called a SureFeed microchip pet feeder. works from a implanted microchip or has a wee tag to put on the cats collar..

This is the UK link but I remember when I was searching it is available in other countries too..

https://sureflap.com/en-gb/pet-feeder/microchip-pet-feeder

Was a complete and utter godsend for me..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.