Cat Forum banner

My cat just got back from a bit absess treatment and I have questions?

726 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  spirite 
#1 ·
Took my cat Bubby in for a huge abscess on his leg from a cat bite. They drugged him, drained it and gave him antibiotics, and a bandage leg. He's a 6 year old male, btw. Obviously he's a little loopy still but there's a few of things I'm wondering about.

1- The vet did not specify how long his bandaged leg needs to stay on. I asked but they didn't say (I was the last one there so they must have wanted to get rid of me). He is pretty annoyed by it and it's wrapped around his entire leg from top to bottom making it difficult for him to move around.

2- I noticed that his third eyelid on one eye started to swell up and started draining shortly after I brought him home. I wonder what that is about? Reaction to the medication?

3- I tried to feed him a tiny bit but it immediately made him sick. He wants to eat, but his stomach disagrees. When should he be able to keep food down?

4- I've noticed that he seems to be dropping poo without meaning to go. Is that a common side effect of the anesthesia?

If anyone has some knowledge to share on these issues, Bubby and I would appreciate it! :smile2:

See less See more
#2 ·
I would think the bandage should stay on until the wound has healed.....perhaps 3 weeks? Check with your vet. If the bandage is taken off before it's healed, your cat would likely lick the wound, aggravate it with his rough tongue and may even open it up again. As for appetite, you could try feeding him infant baby meat, like chicken (no veggies in it) or see if he will eat canned Fancy Feast. Not sure what's causing the third eyelid to swell, perhaps the medication, or even a scratch on it from the cat fight?....maybe a bit of infection in it. If the vet gave him antibiotics for the bite wound, I would think that would take care of the eye if it's an infected scratch or slight puncture from a nail. If it doesn't improve in several days, give your vet a call. Don't know what's causing him to drop poo.

#3 ·
I hope Bubby's doing better now? Were you able to talk to the vet about some of your questions? I'm surprised that you didn't get instructions about feeding etc, since he was put under anesthesia. It seems pretty irresponsible not to give you some "discharge" instructions telling you what to expect and what to look for that might indicate a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.