Cat Forum banner

Hi - ? sick cat

646 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  maggie23 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi, I am a registered nurse and rescued two feral kittens from the prison colony just over 3 years ago and seeking some help ..

I am new here and looking for some advice. I have a x feral cat who I rescued as a kitten from a prison colony along with her brother just over 3 years ago. Sadly Felix died despite 4 visits to the vet and his sister is starting to exhibit the same symptoms now. Felix was eventually diagnosed with dry form FIP. He lost weight, his hair fell out a lot, he used to sleep with his neck extended and has this stridor in his chest. Ebony is now doing the same thing except is still eating well but she often cries like she is in pain when using her bowels and has on two occasions now has pulled out the fur next to her rectum and chewed a hole there. Her fur loss is now high, she sleeps with her neck outstretched and has this rattle in her chest that is audible from across the room. She is still eating, I leave biscuits at all times and she gets two serves of wet a day as she is very picky, she prefers the broths and creamy soup etc. She is not constipated, had all her vac, is sterilised and has no parasites. I am at a loss and the vets don't seem to know either, has anyone seen this before? thanks

#2 ·
Have never had FIP in my long experience with cats, but it definitely doesn't sound good. If Ebony's "crying in pain, ...pulled out the fur next to her rectum and chewed a hole there." is a clear sign she is in pain and is suffering. It doesn't sound like there is a solution if the vets can't give you any advice.....Sad as it is it may be for you it may be best to let her go to the "Rainbow Bridge" to relieve her of the suffering she is now experiencing. It's always the hardest decision to make and never gets easier. You're to be commended for rescuing these kitties, and so sorry to hear what's happened with Felix and is happening with Ebony. :(

#3 ·
I'm so sorry to hear about Felix's and now Ebony's condition. I don't have any experience with FIP either I'm afraid, but there are definitely websites dedicated to it and support groups I'm sure. You've probably already scoured the internet for information. I hope someone out there can give you some insight and help you to know the best route to take from here - whether there ARE ways to help or not. Thank you as well for giving them both the much needed love.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.