Cat Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New diabetic needs help with regulation

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  spirite 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. Fearless, my nearly 12yo male tabby, was diagnosed diabetic last week. I was away for the month of February (my better half caring for Fearless and his two brothers), and when I picked him up I noticed right away he was lighter. Then noticed he was drinking and urinating more. Went straight to the vet; he had lost 1.5 lbs since last March, down to 6.5 lbs. Not sure how long this has been coming on, perhaps only a month or two (fingers crossed) but probably longer. As a retired person on a fixed income I can only afford to feed FF canned, but didn't realize until this month the difference in carbs for their various varieties. The lower cost varieties, which Fearless probably ate for all of Jan-Feb, is 20-25% carbs, so I quickly switched him back to the Classic varieties that are 3-5% carbs.

Back to the diabetes: Upon lab testing, BG was 432. No renal issues. Nothing else out of the ordinary except low levels of a few elements that are probably being depleted through excessive urination. Started on Lantus, 2U/2x/day. Didn't start testing until day 4 (day before yesterday). Counts were 508, 472, 431, 407, 415. Then yesterday morning count was 49, though he showed no signs of being hypoglycemic and was still eating well. No insulin given. Counts rose to 61, then 160 by noon, at which time vet suggested 1U insulin instead of 2U. Next two counts were 60 and 56. Very confusing. All the while he's eating, but only about 1/3 can 5-6 times/day (after testing as a reward). So with two low counts on no insulin I gave the higher carb food at his 7:30 feeding. By 9:30 BG was up to 345! I was feeling very frustrated not knowing what food, how much, and when to feed. All this because all I have read (here and other forums) is that dry food is no good (even though my vet suggested self-feeding with Rx Purina Dietetic Management dry) because of all the starches cats don't need. My vet agreed that perhaps the fluctuations in counts is because I am not feeding enough, so last night I segregated the cats, leaving Fearless in a room with a full 3 oz can of food (he typically gets only 2 cans for the entire day), water and litter box to himself. Have to segregate because his brothers would eat up the food meant for him. Gave 1U insulin at bedtime. Also found the diabetic cat forum (thanks to whoever on this forum provided the link), where owners verified it IS possible to keep wet food out for 10-12 hours and allow cats to self feed.

This morning count was 303 (not great, but better than 508 or 49!) so gave 1U insulin. And almost all the food was eaten, so it appears I WAS underfeeding him, which probably affected the BG levels as much as the insulin. I would love to get him regulated, not just for his health, but for my sanity. Husband and I are newly retired and would like to travel and have pet sitter come in and feed, give insulin, etc., 2x/day only. Knowing how much wet food to leave out would be great. Even better would be if someone out there would give me some direction as to what dry food could work as backup. (I know. I know. Not good. But in a pinch ...?) Maybe just to leave out overnight and then pick up in the morning. I also don't want to keep the three boys segregated forever but the other two had urinary tract issues (blockages) a year ago so I need something that would work for them AND the diabetic. On the diabetic cat forum someone suggested Young Again Zero Mature (kibble). Does anyone here have any experience with it? On their website they STRONGLY recommend feeding ONLY their food (to make sure % carbs stays < 1%) but I am wondering if I can put out enough wet to keep the cats full all day and leave dry out only as a supplement and for evenings or times a cat sitter can't get here on time. Just so a good quality low carb option is available to them ALL the time. Would allow them to self-feed and their parents to have a life! Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Aw, I'm sorry to hear about the diabetes diagnosis. Have you been able to establish a routine with the insulin?

I don't have any experience with diabetes, but I would think maybe it would take a few days of readings before you could come to any conclusions?

(Just a note about the cost of canned food: FF is actually not that cheap, since most cat food comes in 5.5-oz cans and FF only comes in 3-oz cans. There are foods that have better ingredients that are pretty close in price.)

I'm also not familiar with the dry food you mentioned. But I don't know how much I'd worry about their warning to feed only their food. It seems like they're just saying "if it doesn't work for your cat, it's not our fault."

Are your other two kitties on any particular diet to keep down the risk of blockages? I think the dietary concerns are similar for diabetes and urinary tract issues? Wet food is better, and keeping carbs down is good. If it's not feasible to feed exclusively wet food, I'd imagine that the lowest carb dry food that you can find - and that they'll eat - would be best. But maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.