13 year old cat not eating - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Unhappy 13 year old cat not eating

Hi,
It's been a while since I've been here.
My 13 year old cat is not eating. He started to not eat well about 2 weeks ago. Our dog was not doing well and we had to put her down on Monday, March 27th. He has not eating much since then! They would switch off their food and finish each other's food every time they ate. I took him to the vet last week... they said it was likely because our dog was gone. She gave him Mirtazipine to stimulate appetite on Friday. He ate more, though only about half his normal amount, Friday evening and Saturday. Sunday was back to not eating. I syringe fed him and gave him the other half of the Mirtazipine on Monday. He still wasn't eating, so we went back to the vet yesterday. I have been syringe feeding him as much as he will allow since this began.

Yesterday, the vet discovered he had high white blood cells and was dehydrated. They gave him Veraflox, subQ fluids and a B12 shots.

He is still not eating! He has lost 3 pounds since last week! I feel like he is going to starve himself to death.

We lost our Nala kitty (had megacolon) last July. Her liver failed.

I do not know what else to try for my Noah. The vet said it's the infection (she didn't figure out where or what was causing the infection), and the loss of our other cat and dog.

Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

*mirtazapine

I also wanted to add his bloodwork showed no kidney or liver issues.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:22 PM
Premier Cat

Loss of his dog friend, seems to be the trigger for not eating, especially since they cleaned each other's plate....he misses that. Maybe if you feed him on two plates, and put one of them where the dog used to eat, that might get him eating more again--maybe a different flavor or brand on one plate. Try and give him more attention....a new toy, food puzzle (kong, or other types), engage him in play with a wand type of toy like "Da Bird" or one that has feathers on the end. Hope whatever is the source of the "infection" is getting under control, as that is likely contributing to his lack of appetite. Hope some of these suggestions can help. All the best!

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you for responding.

I have tried two plates, different foods, the same foods, changing locations of the foods... He will only ingest what I syringe feed him.

The vet didn't even try to figure out his source of infection. They say it's an upper respiratory infection. He has very minimal symptoms.

He has lost rapidly lost muscle mass,despite syringe feedings multiple times a day. He is lethargic and his upper abdomen is distended. I called our vet again yesterday - not much help. They gave me Rebound liquid and vitamin b12 tabs to give him. They also said they could tap his abdomen on Monday or next week to see if there is any extra fluid.

He is currently hiding underneath our bed. We're going to have to move it to get him out. He hasn't ingested much because he has been hiding since early this morning.

I have never dealt with this before. He is the cat who would eat everyone's food is they weren't fast enough to eat it.

Is this his way of wanting me to let him go? I don't know and I'm heartbroken.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

This is from a few days ago, Noah with my daughter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170405_161745_1491672458750.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	113249  

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 02:30 PM
Premier Cat

Aww, what a sweet photo!
I can well understand how upset you are, but really puzzled as why the vet isn't more helpful unless she truly do not know what's wrong with him. Cats will often start to hide away or remove themselves during the dying process, and eat less and less, until refusing all food and water. At that point they usually have only a few days left. A 3 lb. weight loss in a week is drastic and serious. It's possible he has an undiagnosed condition, such as cancer, which is becoming more common in our pets. A second opinion may or not be helpful at this stage, and you will have to observe and decide if he is suffering or not. It's a position none of us ever likes to face, believe me as you well know, and I've been thro it too many times as well! I pray and wish you and your sweet boy Noah all the best!

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 12:48 PM
Premier Cat

Because of Noah's distended abdomen, I'm thinking he may have FIP (Feline Infectious Peritonitis). Did the vet consider this?

FIP - Feline Infectious Peritonitis

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I took him to a different vet and clinic this morning. He has a tumor in his abdomen.

He said he felt confident that Noah would survive the surgery. The tumor is movable, so he felt he could remove most, if not all of it. I slowly increased Noah's syringe feedings over the weekend. He had a normal (no longer hard) poop this morning. He is urinating more. I did hold the Veraflox Saturday and Sunday. It seemed to not be helping and caused urinary retention. It wasn't until later Sunday when Noah urinated more. He is drinking water on his own now!

He has not thrown up at all. His heart and lungs sounded healthy. They will repeat blood work in the morning.

Am I making the right choice with doing the surgery?

We had to have our dog put down because of cancer. She had a chest wall/abdominal tumor that metastasized quickly, then effected (probably mets) her brain and liver. I can't help but think she would still be alive had i taken her to a different vet right in the beginning.

The new vet also said he thought the increase in white cells was from the tumor.

I did ask him about FIP. He thought that was less likely with the tumor finding. I felt the tumor... It is about 3 inches, firm and lumpy. I worked in human medicine before deciding to stay home with our daughter. I'm terrified for my cat!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:35 AM
Premier Cat

That's wonderful news! not that Noah has cancer, but that now you know what is the cause of his illness, and it seems this cancer is isolated and hasn't metastasized. The vet sounds confident that the surgery will be successful and it really does sound like Noah has a very good chance to have many more years. Thanks for the update...... Prayers for a good recovery.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:55 PM
Cool Cat

I think you're doing the right thing by trying the surgery also, especially if the new vet feels confident, too. I hope your baby recovers quickly from it and regains his appetite and love for life once again soonafter!

before getting to the end of the thread, I was thinking of suggesting giving him something with your dog's scent on it to comfort him if it truly was what was causing his loss of appetite and hiding. but now I think that might be risking making him sad again. hopefully removing the tumor will take care of it and he can continue with both his physical AND emotional healing. you as well! you're all in my thoughts.

Maggie
Kitty, Lucy, and my sweet Angel forever in my heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page